Need new chain and sprockets! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-16-2007, 6:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need new chain and sprockets!

hey need some advice on a chain and spockets for my 2002 cbr f4i what should I buy should I go for the gold and what is the reason for gold and also thinking of changing gearing, any sugestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-16-2007, 11:51 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: Need new chain and sprockets!

i would look for a combo deal.

i have a 520 x ring did erv3 and stock gearing sprockets. ( if you can, find a did erv3/afam combo). best chain, best sprockets. imo.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-18-2007, 1:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to slorider18

definately get a combo. i am running an RK 525 o-ring (it's the oem size) on my F3. stock gearing. ran me around $150. i have the gold chain cause that's what my mechanic ordered me. i think only ten bucks more. as far as gearing, you will gain some low end which equals more acceleration and wheelies. the way i figure those guys at honda are pretty smart so i'm staying stck. oh, by the way. my set up from RK has 20K warranty. i made a claim once before, they had the new chain at my house the next day, FREE SHIPPING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-18-2007, 1:50 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACI4LIFE View Post
i would look for a combo deal.

i have a 520 x ring did erv3 and stock gearing sprockets. ( if you can, find a did erv3/afam combo). best chain, best sprockets. imo.

Ride Red
post #5 of 9 Old 07-18-2007, 2:04 PM

I have used chain and sprocket kits for over 20 years. The gold stuff is all hype. o-Ring is manditory. Sprockets and chain should always be changed at the same time. There is a test to determine when the chain or sprockets should be changed. It is much more accurate than every 20K miles. High tork loads would shorten the life of the chain. Dirt can kill a sprocket in no time. Presure washers can kill a chain in 1 use.

Changing ratio's has interesting effects.

Smaller front sprocket or larger rear sprocket causes more low end tork and less top speed. In general a smaller front sprcket is not a good idea because it can cause chain failure under extreme conditions. I have run one smaller on the front without an issue, but would not try less.

Count the number of teeth on the front sprocket. Count the number of teeth on the rear sprocket. if the ratio is 2 on the rear for every one on the front then it would take 2 more rear sprocket teath to equal removing on from tooth. The ratio is never more than three.

Larger front sprocket or smaller rear sprocket causes more speed less tork.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-2007, 4:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the info. Iwill look around tonite. I just saw gold chains didn't know if its just for the looks or if they are better.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-2007, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrracer111 View Post
Larger front sprocket or smaller rear sprocket causes more speed less tork.
xrracer can you (and i have heard this of other people but cant get my head around it?) please explain the more tork (torque over here! ) thing??

shurely the enging output is no difference?

i understand (just) the gearing for acceleration, from pushbike days but i dont understand the rest?

i have gone the otherway with my gearing (3 off the back/rear) and i am very happy with it, as i am no demon rider and do a few miles touring. but when out with friends, i know i have to use the box a bit more than them which i enjoy, but have never found my bike to be much (if any) behind in acceleration than them (k6 gixer6 and 05 636)

plus i get the lower revs motorway rides and better mpg.

this is not a dig at your comment im just a bit puzzled?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2007, 5:41 PM Thread Starter

Just ordered a kit staying stock it ran good for the first 27,000 hopefully for the next 27,000 and I never had any trouble keeping up and I'm more in to the turns then the wheelies.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2007, 6:54 PM

You are correct. Reducing the number of teeth on the rear sproket would increase the gas milage. This is because fewer revs to maintain same speed. The bad news is that you reduce acceleration. On my street bikes I often increase milage this way. On race bikes I always went the other way.

Have fun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page