1988 F1 Hurricane has stiff brake lever & 1 brake rotor getting hotter than the other - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-30-2007, 9:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1988 F1 Hurricane has stiff brake lever & 1 brake rotor getting hotter than the other

A friend's newly aquired 1988 F1 with 30K+ showing on the clock has a very stiff/difficult to operate front brake lever. Thinking that one of his calipers might be frozen,...I did a temperature check (by hand) of the two front brake rotors. One was quite hot, the other was just warm.

I think this confirms my frozen caliper thought at least to some degree, but thought I would post here to see if the collective wisdom of the forum might have any other thoughts on this.

Is there a recognized problem with the 88 600 hurricane that could cause these symptoms?

Also noticed that both front brake rotors appear to be originals and show significant wear....with a prominant lip around the outside perimiter of each rotor.

Further question: What is the best source for new and used parts for this bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: 1988 F1 Hurricane has stiff brake lever & 1 brake rotor getting hotter than the o

Parts: Service Honda Home of the CR500AF 500AF 500AFX Junior-X - Honda Motorcycle Parts or Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories

Service honda generally has Ron Ayers beat by a few dollars on each item but here and there I have found the part cheaper from Ron Ayers so I always check both. I think Ron Ayers site is much easier to navigate and find what you are looking for. I usually find what I need on Ron Ayers then put in the part number at service honda. Down at the bottom of service honda's home page there is a little blue link that says "interactive pricing page." Just put in the part number there. I just ordered from service honda last week and the part was shipped very quickly.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2007, 5:21 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: 1988 F1 Hurricane has stiff brake lever & 1 brake rotor getting hotter than the o

You prolly wont want to spend the money on 2 new front rotors. Check ebay. Just buy from seller with great feedback. Have you tried to completely bleed the lines? You can usually visually tell if the caliper is frozen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-03-2007, 1:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to slorider18

i would check ebay for the rotors too. i got a rear for a little over 30 for a new one. brake planet, an ebay store, may also have pads for you. i have been running theirs for the last year and they have a pretty good feel. you should be able to remove the caliper in question and see if it's moving when you squeeze the lever. if it moves you can just bleed it to push it back. good luck.

Last edited by slorider18; 08-05-2007 at 3:01 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-03-2007, 1:52 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

I would buy new rotors. Braking is not something to skimp on.

Any pulsation? One of the rotors could be bent/warped and that would explian why one is hotter than the other. Sticky caliper is another. I would due a complete brake job. Replace the rotors, clean the calipers and maybe rebuild them and new pads. Flush the old brake fluid out as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-04-2007, 3:48 PM

A bike that old it's very possible the caliper is frozen. I'd take the brake system off the bike completely, then drain it. Rebuild the bad caliper and maybe the other one too. Clean the lines out real good or just replace them with new lines or stainless steel lines. I've found getting the old crap out of stock brake lines is next to impossible even with compressed air. You can usually find stainless steel brake line kit on ebay for around $30-70. I'd replace the pads too if it is feasible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page