Cant get my bike started! please help!!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Cant get my bike started! please help!!!

I recently bought a 2001 cbr 600f4. it was dropped so i got it for cheap. there is no real significant damage to the outside, besides the front and side farings. but i cant get the thing started. i took the old battery out and ran jumper cables from my car battery (car was off). i solenoid clicking, but nothing from the starter. so i attached the positive cable directly to the starter cable. then all i got was the start making a clicking sound. this is my first bike and i don't have much knowledge of them. i do however have knowledge of car motors. so if anyone has any pointers for me, it would be much appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-02-2008, 2:16 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: Cant get my bike started! please help!!!

humm,
try bump starting it,
to check if the engine can turn over. never know it might even fire up.
It maybe the case that the starter motor is seized, or the teeth shreaded or even a loose connection on the inside.

If the engine turns over, then check its getting fuel/air, and check the spark.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-02-2008, 3:30 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I had the same problem after i got my bike...it made a clicking that came from the starter relay. If the relay and the starter do nothing but click, its only because of a dead battery. Just put the battery in the back, start your car up, hook the jumper cables up from car to bike, and then it should start right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-02-2008, 3:31 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Oh yeah, and then if it does start, ride it, or at least let it sit and run for a while...otherwise, you'll have to do the whole process over again.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-02-2008, 8:33 PM Thread Starter

i tried to "bump start" it and i also tried hooking the battery in my car to the cables on the bike. still just a clicking sound. when i tried to push start it the back tire just locks and the bike slides, but no start. im thinking it could be the starter is just bad. i also heard that maybe the clutch is just shot.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-02-2008, 9:00 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

I'm not sure but your bike might have a tipover sensor. cycle the kill switch a couple times and see if that helps.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-02-2008, 9:40 PM

Reputation Power: 17

If the back tyre just locks up that is tellin me that something may be wrong with the bike. But being a honda tells me that it should be fine? Try and push start it in second or third gear, possibly down a nice grade if you are near one. Get it rollin, let out the clutch and givit a lil bit of gas. Possibly choke it a lil. If the tyre locks up then, there is a problem.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 PM
-Z-

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to -Z-

I'm gonna say that if the rear wheel is locking up, then either there's a major problem with the transmission, or even more likely the engine. We've got the starter solenoid clicking, so that means the solenoid is working. But the starter isn't turning the engine over, and bump starting it failed, which doesn't involve the starter at all.

So, since the bike is in neutral when you try to start it normally, I think we can rule out the transmission and clutch. Try pushing it and then simply letting the clutch out while the bike is in neutral still. If it starts to lock up, then yes there is something wrong with the clutch. If not, then the clutch can be ignored at this point in time, since it's not engaging when it shouldn't.

We can discount the starter since bump starting it doesn't involve the starter at all.

So more than likely, I think your engine has seized up somehow.

At this point, I'm sure that quite a few people will chime in with various suggestions about the fuel system or the ignition. While these are all good things to check since the bike is a few years old and clearly there are problems, they are somewhat moot. I say this because problems in either one of these would not prevent the engine from turning over, although they can prevent it from starting. But if your rear wheel is locking up during bump start, then clearly something is seized up and the engine itself is not turning over at all.

So unless you're willing and have the knowledge to tear apart your engine and see exactly what is wrong...it might be just cheaper and easier to get a new one.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-03-2008, 4:33 AM

totally agree. sounds like a seized engine.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-03-2008, 5:42 AM

What gear did you try to bump start it in? I had a 99 F4 and it had no engine problems but would lock up the rear with a cold tire if it was in FIRST gear. Second or third should work. If not then yeah, im gonna say get ready for a new motor. Sorry friend!

FOX
post #11 of 23 Old 02-03-2008, 5:48 AM
-Z-

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to -Z-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Blade View Post
What gear did you try to bump start it in? I had a 99 F4 and it had no engine problems but would lock up the rear with a cold tire if it was in FIRST gear. Second or third should work. If not then yeah, im gonna say get ready for a new motor. Sorry friend!

FOX
Good point. Make sure you're trying to bump start it in second or higher, rather than first.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-03-2008, 8:11 AM

Reputation Power: 36

I think before doing any more bump starting and since you don't know all the history, pull out the spark plugs. Maybe the engine is hydraulicing. That means a liquid (oil or coolant) is on top of the piston. You can't compress a liquid so it jams the engine. Try the starter or push it in 6th gear while the plugs are out. You may see something, I'm guessing oil, come flying out when you crank it. You must be cautiious though because trying to force the piston up when it can't will result in a see through piston and/or bent connecting rod.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-03-2008, 2:08 PM

Reputation Power: 13

did anyone even read my post?

It actually said most of that already in much less words.

The bump starting idea, was to see if the engine would turn over, then you could diagnose the fault after.
For example if the engine wont start with a bump start that could mean its seized, and would be why the starter motor wont turn over.
The "locking up" he is describing could be his explanation of it rapidly slowing down, which vechiles do during a bump start, as the motor turns over.

I totaly agree with Denzee, their may be fluid on the piston crown stoping the engine from compressing, and as he described correctly will bend the con-rods if you try to hard. so follow his advice with taking out the plugs, and checking for fluids on piston.

One thing you could try, would be to take the starter motor out, and then connecting the jump leads from the car to it, ground one out on the outside, attach the possitive to the possitive connection, if the starter motor turns then your engine has probably seized.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-04-2008, 4:27 PM Thread Starter

thanks a lot for your help everyone. im gonna take everyone's advice and see what happens. wish me luck. i'll post the results.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-06-2008, 2:12 AM Thread Starter

ok guys. i did what u said and it worked! but now it just turns over, but doesnt fully start. i noticed i dont hear the fuel pump kick on. am i suppose to?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page