Synthetic Oil Problems - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-10-2008, 4:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Synthetic Oil Problems

Hi Guys, Can anyone help me?

I have just changed the oil and filter on my Honda CBR 600 F2, Its a 1991 and its done about 52,000 miles. After changing the oil with CASTROL POWER 1 RACING 4T 10W-40 fully Synthetic oil and a K&N oil filter the bike seemed to be running absolutely fine until about 25 minutes on the road and 10 miles, I change up and I felt a small clutch slip. After the next junction the clutch slips again and then the bike starts to run like its got kangaroo juice in the tank. Its juddering and the bike will not run in gear and cuts out the engine. If I give it more RPM the opposite effect happens and it backfires and kills the engine.

So this is my problem, When the bike is cold the bike runs fine and goes into gear perfectly. As soon as it has reached operating temperature it starts to mis-fire,clutch slips and as soon as its in gear there is no power.

So, this is what I can figure out, As the oil heats up it changes weights and this must mean that the oil is to thin for the engine at operating temperature and this is causing the problems? Could the wrong oil be the cause of all these problems? The bike was running like a dream before I had to change the oil. Have I caused any damage with running fully Synthetic Oil? I am going to get the oil out and put a semi-Synthetic Oil in it asap. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-10-2008, 5:14 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: Synthetic Oil Problems

High mileage bikes tend to build up varnish on the inside of the engine. Synthetic oils can dissolve the varnish causing leaks. That is why it is not recommended to change to synthetic oils for older bikes. This could be one of your problems, except, dissolving varnish usually takes longer than 25 minutes.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 AM

When you say clutch slip do you mean the clutch does not engage completely and bike tends to run away when you clutch in or a gear slip to neutral or other gears?

My 1990 FZR1000 - Changed to Full Synthetic (inspite of being advice against) and started slipping gears to false neutral half the way on the track. Intial pickup from 2-3ks revs was slow before the power fully engaged. Guessing that the clutch was a bit worn and so would the gearing be. Synthetic was not working good on my engine at those temps.

Changed back to Semi synthetic @ lunch, bike was fine in few laps but lost half a track day. You could be hacing the same problem. Don't know if it had any long term damages as wrote the bike off few days later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 3:07 AM Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information. Actually engaging gear is not to much of a problem It goes in gear and when the clutch is engaged its happy to select gear and stays still until the clutch is released. Once the gear is selected and the clutch is released (at operating temperature) the clutch slips and the bike will mis fire and cut out. When I start it up in neutral the engine runs but very very poorly indeed.

After waiting 3 hours for a tow truck I came home and wrote this post (and had a hot cup of tea!!), I went out to the garage and started the bike as it was cold. It was reving smoothly around the clock, went into gear with no clutch slip with the engine and oil cold. I did notice that the was a 'ticking' noise from the engine that was not there before the problems earlier in the day.

I will get the oil out and put in semi in hope of fixing the problem. I will give you an update and whether this fixes this strange problems. I think your right though, it was a bad idea to fit fully synthetic oil to this bike. High Milage (although its very well looked after!) and a older engine does not seem to like it to much at all. Cheers guys.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 8:46 AM

I had a clutch slip problem after I changed my oil once. It was bad. I took the clutch apart and noticed thousands of tiny fibers on the plates that happened to be the same color as oil filter paper. That was the last time I used FRAM filters. Changing just the filter again solved my problem. I guess the FRAM exploded inside or something.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 1:33 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

FRAM filters are cheaply made and in the 90's they were banned from several racing organizations because of faulty welds which allowed the filter to come apart and spew oil all over the track. It wasn’t until a few years later where FRAM filters could be used again. If you do a search, there are reports of some filters on cars failing the same way, and this was in the past year or two. FRAM has not learned from their past mistakes.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-01-2008, 5:15 PM

I put full synthetic oil into my 6000mile FZ1 a few hundred miles back. On my last ride [fortunately short] I noticed minor clutch slippage. Redline oil does have molly in it and that may be the problem even if it is labeled "for motorcycles"
I'd like to know if anyone was successful in washing the synthetic oil completely out
instead of having to replace their clutch plates.

dennis

Last edited by dennisg; 03-01-2008 at 5:20 PM.
post #8 of 32 Old 03-01-2008, 5:21 PM

I put full synthetic oil into my FZ1 a few hundred miles back. On my last ride [fortunately short] I noticed clutch slippage. This oil does have molly in it and that may be the problem even if it is labeled "for motorcycles"
I'd like to know if anyone was successful in washing the synthetic oil completely out
dennis
post #9 of 32 Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 AM

If you have clutch slippage it's because your clutch is bad, not because you put in synthetic oil.
post #10 of 32 Old 03-02-2008, 1:11 AM

not necessarily. i'm a firm believer in synthetics, and i don't buy any of that crap about greater shearing forces or hydrocarbon breakdown (i've read enough researh on the subject).

however, since i changed to mobil 1 15-50 silver cap, my clutch slips a little. bear in mind that this synth only has ~70-90 ppm of moly in it (very little). granted i offer anecdotal evidence, but as you can see others have experienced this, too.

Last edited by Ol' Gravy Leg; 03-02-2008 at 3:07 PM.
post #11 of 32 Old 03-02-2008, 1:33 PM

There have been documented problems of clutch failure in bikes running the new "low friction" oil. {It may go under another name}
dennis
post #12 of 32 Old 03-02-2008, 4:09 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisg View Post
dennis
It can be done if the oil hasn't had too much time to impregnate itself. You need to remove the plates and let them sit in clean oil. Let them sit for several days and you may want to change the oil out once or twice and let them sit again.
post #13 of 32 Old 03-02-2008, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
...had too much time to impregnate itself.
you mean with a turkey baster? isn't that how melissa etheridge did it?
post #14 of 32 Old 03-02-2008, 6:08 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Gravy Leg View Post
you mean with a turkey baster? isn't that how melissa etheridge did it?
No, try a cow baster. A turkey is pretty close to a chicken and you ndon't want to be a chicken.
post #15 of 32 Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Gravy Leg View Post
not necessarily. i'm a firm believer in synthetics, and i don't buy any of that crap about greater shearing forces or hydrocarbon breakdown (i've read enough researh on the subject).

however, since i changed to mobil 1 15-50 silver cap, my clutch slips a little. bear in mind that this synth only has ~70-90 ppm of moly in it (very little). granted i offer anecdotal evidence, but as you can see others have experienced this, too.
If synthetic oil causes clutch slippage. How do you explain the MILLIONS of motorcycles that run synthetic and the clutches don't slip?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page