need help with my 02 F4I - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

need help with my 02 F4I

I bought an 02 F4I and the guy I got it from butchered the wire harness on it so I bought one for it. It also came with 2 ECM's so I pulled it apart and put the new parts on it. Now for the problem when you turn the key on the fuel pump does not turn on and you dont get any spark. I did all the trouble shooting out of the honda repair manual and I come up with no continuity from A3 and ground and A13 and ground. The FI light is on and I am stumped at what it could be if any one could help I would be very greatful.
Thanks Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: 02 F4I wont start

I also picked up a new ECM today from a running bike. and still same problem
post #3 of 16 Old 04-05-2008, 4:38 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: need help with my 02 F4I

just get the service manual. looks like an incorrect connection somewhere. trust me, fitting a loom is not for the fainthearted or uninitiated. these bikes are way too advanced. the service manual will explain everything. search for it on google. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 AM

Sounds like you may have a problem with the bank angle sensor. May not be plugged in thats the sensor in the front upper right behind the headlight. Designed that the bike shuts down if you tip over.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 8:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: Update for need help with my 02 F4I

Well I found out by calling the manufacture and it turns out that 01-03 has a vehicle anti theft device in the ignition harness. If at any time the wire harness is tampered with the ignition will short out. To check this there is a pink wire going to the ignition and a diode on it if you turn the key on you should have 8-9 volts there if not it will not allow the ecm to power up fully so the fuel pump and coil packswill not recieve and power. but everything else will. It will turn over and all the funtions will work accept fuel and spark. It is a $60. part depending on your dealership and there mark up. Hope this helps any one with the same problem.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76dodge View Post
Well I found out by calling the manufacture and it turns out that 01-03 has a vehicle anti theft device in the ignition harness. If at any time the wire harness is tampered with the ignition will short out. To check this there is a pink wire going to the ignition and a diode on it if you turn the key on you should have 8-9 volts there if not it will not allow the ecm to power up fully so the fuel pump and coil packswill not recieve and power. but everything else will. It will turn over and all the funtions will work accept fuel and spark. It is a $60. part depending on your dealership and there mark up. Hope this helps any one with the same problem.
Well that interesting little tid-bit could save me trouble someday. No problems right now but I do have an '02 and you never know.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-17-2008, 4:04 AM

Reputation Power: 13

i agree. i always wondered what was the purpose of that pink wire. some guys actually join an AM anti theft device to this wire and they have endless probs with teir bikes ignition system.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-21-2008, 8:24 PM

Yep, that's how I picked up my 02 CBR F4i for just $1000 the guy lost his keys and tried to rig the ignition and then all it would do is turn over. I had a good guess as to what the prob. was so I jumped all over that deal. I just grabbed a lock set off of Ebay and it started right up, I was happy. but now the G/F took over the bike LOL
post #9 of 16 Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 PM

It definitely sounds like the bank angle sensor. Sometimes these units go bad and need to be replaced. Check the wiring to the sensor first and sometimes just giving the thing a few light taps will get it working again. If not you will need to replace the sensor. What happens when the sensor is not working is the fuel pump will not prime when you turn the key and the engine will keep turning over but not starting. Some people will tell you that its needs a new fuel pump - which it shouldn't by the sounds of it.
Hope that this helps - obviously I've had the same problem and ripped my bike apart trying to figure it out - no fun!
post #10 of 16 Old 05-31-2008, 6:07 PM

I have same problem with my 02 F4i. When i turn ignition key on and press start engine button i don't hear fuel pump, FI lights always, there is no error codes.
All lights work, starter crunks, greed diode fires on panel, all fuses good, fuel pump work if i connected it direct to battery, bank angel sensor jumped. I completed all tests from service manual and nothing (
I check voltage on fuel pump connector (3P black) and it was about 10V. Too small?
Where is may be problem? In ignition switch (as i said green dion lights when i turn on key)? Arrrgghh...
=
P.S. sorry for English, I'm from Russia
post #11 of 16 Old 06-03-2008, 1:32 AM

post #12 of 16 Old 09-06-2009, 7:44 PM

Quote:

where is the diode? tried looking by the ignition/pink wire but I dont see it
post #13 of 16 Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Hey does the pink wire run to the ignition as in where you place the key or ignition as in where you press the red button to fire it up? I'm having VERY similar issues and think it might be this diode....tested everything cept the ECM and was ready to buy a new ECM but after reading this post, I wanna check this diode first.

-Jake
post #14 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM

A diode is in essence a one way valve. Letting only positive or negative through depending on which way the stripe is. A regular diode will give you a 0.7 voltage drop per diode used. So if you needed between 8 to 9 volts you would need 2 diodes in series to give you voltage drop of 1.4 volts which would give you 8.6 volts on the pink wire. I have no idea if that is the voltage needed but thought you might want to know that.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-19-2010, 5:07 PM

I had the exact same problem with my 02. he DPO butchered the wiring ignition wiring harness and after all the investigation I could do (8 months on and off) all I had to do was call my local stealership and ordered the ignition module for $38. Now my baby runs like a dream every time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page