87 CBR600F cutting out probs - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-20-2008, 4:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

87 CBR600F cutting out probs

Hi all,
unfortunately my first post is a problem post, as i do usually like to start off with a propper intro.
I have a 1987 600 that seems to be having an itermitant problem, i can ride for a good 20 mile then all of the sudden she burbles and dies, i wait 30 - 40 seconds and she will fire up again but only on full choke, then run again for quite a while till the same happens again.
I'm in 2 minds as to whether it is fuel or heat that is causing it as it does'nt have the electrical straight cut death.
Any help would be appreciated
cheers in advance

AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: 87 CBR600F cutting out probs

Sounds like fuel. Is your tank vent hose clear of any obstructions? Have you tried opening the fuel cap when it starts burbling?
post #3 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 4:48 PM

I think the fact that it's intermittent should eliminate the heat concern. Because it's intermittent, I would not rule out an electrical issue. If the choke allows you to "fix" the problem, that leads me to think it's fuel related.

Did you just buy it?

If you have owned it a while, did you do anything different recently? Maybe pressure wash it?

How long has it been doing this, and have you run through a couple tanks of gas?

Rickracer might be on the right track. Do you know the bike inside out? Are you mechanically inclined? When it dies, slowly open the fuel cap and listen for moving air. Also, inspect all hoses before, during, and after pulling the tank. Look for creases in the lines, and replace as necessary.

It's a great bike, hard to believe the original hurricane is over twenty years old now. I remember wanting one so bad back in the day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 8:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for the help.
I have tried listening to the fuel cap when it's opened as this is an inherant problem with the Jinlun cruiser I own, I also know that it is not one of the HT leads, or one of the coil packs as the engine runs on 2 cylinders so if one was breaking down it would not give the same problem
I have only recently purchased the bike and rode a full 118 miles in the rain to get it home with no problem, when she is running she is sweet and gives no reason to believe that she is going to be problematic, there are no kinks in the fuel lines and I only ever use 98 ron fuel from a very well established company, I know that when the fuel pump is trying to drag fule from a blocked tank (ie: when the fuel tap is off) that it ticks so I would imagine that it would do the same with an airlock in the tank, the other thing that is now making me ponder is could it be the fuel pump packing up or would it just die and that be it? otherwise could it be the spark pack breaking down under heat as it happens at arround the same temp each time ( not exactly the same temp +/- 15 deg c ).
It happened again today, did around 15 miles she burbled and cut, I waited for about 60sec and started her to do another 1/2 mile then she cut again, this time i waited for approx 5 mins then was able to complete my 14 mile journy home without hastle.

AL
post #5 of 17 Old 08-23-2008, 4:26 PM Thread Starter

Just an update.

I have ruled out bad fuel and blockages, ignition coils, and plugs, so now that leaves fuel pump, and the ECU or spark pack as its called in the workshop manual,
I cannot find any reference to the rectifier / regulator in the book though ?

AL
post #6 of 17 Old 08-23-2008, 8:12 PM

A bunch of random thoughts in no particular order...

What have you replaced so far?

I'm looking through a service manual for an '89, not sure how different they are, but I'm not seeing anything for a fuel pump. Does it do the dirt bike style gravity+vacuum type of induction?

Does it have any emissions equipment?

The regulator/rectifier is part of the charging system, so I don't think it comes into play for the how the bike is running.

How do all the plugs look?

Have you checked the timing? Are any parts loose that are used to adjust timing?

Check all connection, also check the ring terminals that attach to the frame, sometimes they get corroded and poor grounds can cause havoc on an ignition system. Make sure the coils have no corrosion where it bolts down.

What does the pulse generator and spark unit do? Might look into those.

Almost everything under the troubleshooting section of the manual points to fuel/air problems, or electrical problems. I think the electrical is more likely if it seems to be heat related, and the only thing I can think of that would cause fuel problems under heat would be blockage. If I were fairly confident that fuel was not the issue, I would start after the ignition bits.

The fact that you need to use the choke to get it going again says it's mixture related. Maybe it's time to pull the carbs and do a thorough cleaning.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-24-2008, 12:50 PM

I have an 88 Cane and have the same problem I thought it was electrical since mine seems to cut out when it gets hot and then leave me for up 4 hours on a hot day shorter times on a cold day. I replaced the ignition unit not cheap... Main fuse assembly (it had some shorting burns) Battery and a couple of not so good wires and a handfull of bad connections..NO LUCK

coils, wires, plugs all spec out elletrically.

The bike has been completely rebuilt, including a complete carburator job with performance jets, to go with perforated air box.

My best guess for the cutting out is when the carbs get hot they get vapor locked or something.

already cost me a whole riding season

if you find an answer please let me know please
post #8 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 8:37 AM Thread Starter

I have now cleaned the tank, fuel filter, and carbs so fuel "flow" is not the problem, I have also taken every electrical connection block apart and tightened up the connections, unfortunatly for me its still happening I thought it may be carb freeze but now im thinking evaporation, so my next step is checking how well the cooling system is working.

AL
post #9 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 8:44 AM

Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

I had a similar sounding problem on my CBR400 when I first got it and it turned out I had an intermittant fault on my fuel pump... try taking the fuel pump out and see how she runs gravity fed, its easy enough to do.. If she runs well without it then you will need a new fuel pump..

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

post #10 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 9:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLee View Post
try taking the fuel pump out and see how she runs gravity fed..
I looked at this as an option but,,,,,, my carb's fuel inlet is higher than the tank tap.... will this matter?

As a note of caution!
If anyone else has the same type of fuel pump fitted to their bike, do not try to run it with the hoses disconnected and the back cover off,,,, there is an open relay type deal in the back that attaches to the rotor of the pump that opens and closes rapidly when running causing sparks, and in turn any fuel in the pump gushes out

AL
post #11 of 17 Old 08-26-2008, 2:51 AM

Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
I looked at this as an option but,,,,,, my carb's fuel inlet is higher than the tank tap.... will this matter?
mine is too, so all I did was make sure I kept it as full of fuel as possible.. basically I topped the tank up every day on my way back from work..

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

post #12 of 17 Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 AM

Reputation Power: 12

"AT LEAST" until your tank is on reserve, the actual fuel level will still be above the carb inlets, so it will siphon through the petcock anyway.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-30-2008, 9:29 PM Thread Starter

Well I seem to have sorted it,

How I did it, I started at the back of the bike and went through all the wiring plugs up to the fuse box popping each wire connector out in turn and crimping the connectors up ( took about 3 hours ) I took the ECU apart and sprayed a rubberised sealant on all the components then put it back into its case, I took the back off the fuel pump and cleaned the relay contact up.
So if this helps anyone with the same problem I had,,,, all the better.

Thanks all for the help and input.

AL
post #14 of 17 Old 09-01-2008, 3:19 AM

Good job man, now have fun riding it!
post #15 of 17 Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 AM

so after long hours of checking the wiring and replaceing the main fuse assembly I checked the oil and noticed I was a little low I topped it up now she's fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page