Random questions.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-23-2008, 3:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Random questions....

what's up guys.. first post on here..

I just bought my first bike recently.. started off with a CBR600F4.. So far I love it, and I can't stay away from it.. there was a bit of fairing damage that I was able to fix with some bondo, but it's a custom paint job.. and I'm unsure where to match vehicle paint.. any suggestions?

Also, some of the hex screws are rusting in the side fairing.. A friend told me I need to go to a Honda shop, but it seems they should be easier to get than that..

One more question.. I bought a Clymer manual so that I can do the basic stuff (brakes, oil, plugs etc..) on my own, but the manual says to change the oil every 8000 miles!!! that can't be right... Any insight on that? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-23-2008, 3:35 PM

Re: Random questions....

Any good automotive paint shop should have a "color eye" to match paint. It wont be exact, but will look identical to the wife.

I would look for those neat little fastener bundles the salvage guys sell on eBay. You could get them from Honda, they would be exactly the same, and shiny new. If you want to source them yourself you could try mcmaster-carr, or maybe olander, there's tons of em, find a website that makes it clear as t o what you're ordering(easier said than done). I bought a nice little fastener kit from Rocky Mountain atv/mc and love it.

With a ceiling like 8k miles, jeez do whatever feels right to you. My dl650 gets oil changes every 2k. I figure it's the only substantial regular maintenance, why not stay on top of it.

And welcome, post some pics.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-23-2008, 7:49 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Motorcycle & Watercraft Touch Up & Refinish Paint - ColorRite

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-23-2008, 9:39 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyg00se19 View Post
the manual says to change the oil every 8000 miles!!! that can't be right... Any insight on that? Thanks for your help!
Why can't it? If you are going because it has been pounded in your head every 3,000 for a car; that too is no longer the case.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 1:14 AM

Welcome dude, I went to ace hardware for all the bolts I needed to replace; Honda wants anywhere from $3-10 for the bolts I needed.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!!

Red - I went to that site, but the only problem is that the previous owner painted it a color that isn't standard with the CBR..

I think I'll do what corndog suggested and get an estimate from an autobody shop.. yikes.. could be expensive..

Corndog.. i went to mcmaster carr,.. wow.. 500,000 items.. i doubt i'd get the right one!! ha. I think i'll give Ace hardware a shot like Lukav suggested.. hopefully I can get something similar there, and I'll have a chance to compare before i purchase..

And as far as changing the oil every 8k miles.. it doesn't seem right, but if that's what the manual says, then.. what do i know, i'm just a cook! I still think i'll be changing it every 3-4k though, and probably using synthetic..

thanks for everyones replys.. much appreciated
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I still think i'll be changing it every 3-4k though, and probably using synthetic..
Remember that you should not use oils that offer "energy saving". These oils have friction modifiers in them that can cause the clutch to slip. You can look at the seals on the back of the oil to see if it says ENERGY SAVER or not. I also recently read that if its not "specificly" for motorcycles, you should try to aviod using a 40w as well.

Fox
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 1:34 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
what's up guys.. first post on here..

I just bought my first bike recently.. started off with a CBR600F4.. So far I love it, and I can't stay away from it.. there was a bit of fairing damage that I was able to fix with some bondo, but it's a custom paint job.. and I'm unsure where to match vehicle paint.. any suggestions?

Also, some of the hex screws are rusting in the side fairing.. A friend told me I need to go to a Honda shop, but it seems they should be easier to get than that..

One more question.. I bought a Clymer manual so that I can do the basic stuff (brakes, oil, plugs etc..) on my own, but the manual says to change the oil every 8000 miles!!! that can't be right... Any insight on that? Thanks for your help!
My suggestions as for the paint...You could try a local autobody shop to repair it. I do that for a living and you could mail your pieces to me if you wanted and I could repair and mail back. You can't use "bondo" on flexible peices. They need to be plasitc welded or a special 2 part plastic repair to hold up long term. (depending on the material the plastic is) I've used the "color rite paint" before and it doen't match perfect. I ended up dumping it and making the basecoat from scratch. Any good reputable body shop offering LIFETIME GUARENTEE should have a good painter that can tint paint. Just be careful on the shop...there are a lot of bad ones, and few good ones.

The hex screws might be a special Honda thing. I tried several different nut and bolt stores before finally sucking it up and ordering them from the Honda dealer (for $8 bucks a piece!) I like my bolts to match.

My Honda manual says change oil every 8000 miles as well. I'm was surprised to say the least, but I won't wait near that long just because I'm not that hard up for oil.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page