Stinkin nails - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 9:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Stinkin nails

Hey everyone I am new to this site so I thank any help. I go out to my bike from work today, and find the dreaded flat tire!!! Low and behold there is a nail in the rear tire, smack dab in the middle. Can I patch this or can it be patched? Any help would be awsome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 9:55 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: Stinkin nails

There are many opinions on this.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via Yahoo to deidreant Send a message via Skype™ to deidreant

I would definately not try to patch it. Motorcycles have z-rated tires and the same, if not harsher rules apply for them as cars with z-rated tires. Riding with a patch on your tire is like riding on a ticking time bomb. Just spend the extra money and buy a new one. Remember, money won't last, but road rash is forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deidreant View Post
I would definately not try to patch it. Motorcycles have z-rated tires and the same, if not harsher rules apply for them as cars with z-rated tires. Riding with a patch on your tire is like riding on a ticking time bomb. Just spend the extra money and buy a new one. Remember, money won't last, but road rash is forever
I would agree but these are pretty much brand new less than 500 miles on the tires
post #5 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Have you searched? You can find plenty of opinions as this has been discussed before. Read the threads and then make your own decision.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Use a patch kit man, if you dont think that you can do it, take it to someone that will do it from the inside out. I used a kit from AutoZone and is perfectly good. Been 140 plus on the track with it.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 PM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitt51 View Post
Use a patch kit man, if you dont think that you can do it, take it to someone that will do it from the inside out. I used a kit from AutoZone and is perfectly good. Been 140 plus on the track with it.

A patch passed tech?

post #8 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX View Post
A patch passed tech?
Drag, I should have mentioned.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 AM

Yeah, but why wonder how long the patch will hold when you can know the tire is good. I had a tire patched by a pro on my old 98 r6 and I now have permanent birth marks on my elbow and shoulder to prove it. So I'm speaking from experience as the one person who posted so far whose patch didn't hold. Trust me, don't leave it to chance.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-02-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but why wonder how long the patch will hold when you can know the tire is good. I had a tire patched by a pro on my old 98 r6 and I now have permanent birth marks on my elbow and shoulder to prove it. So I'm speaking from experience as the one person who posted so far whose patch didn't hold. Trust me, don't leave it to chance.
How did he patch the tire? Mine is from the inside out. Big surface cover on the inside. I feel safe that i ride with full gear everytime out, and i dont do incredibly stupid things on the streets. Thats a plus. Where i am located at, i ride only at night most times and there arent many drivers on the roads at the times that i ride.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-02-2008, 1:06 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Im with Rokitt51 I patch it - after 30 years of riding Ive never had one go down on me after that.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-02-2008, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitt51 View Post
How did he patch the tire? Mine is from the inside out. Big surface cover on the inside. I feel safe that i ride with full gear everytime out, and i dont do incredibly stupid things on the streets. Thats a plus. Where i am located at, i ride only at night most times and there arent many drivers on the roads at the times that i ride.
It was patched from the inside. I still have the shredded tire in my garage somewhere. I had gear on also, just not leather. When it shredded, I was doing 65 in a 60. So nothing crazy there. The rear tire blew, the rim hit the ground and kicked sideways and I was thrown end over end down the road. Then the road used me to scratch it's itch. The jacket back protector was visible from the outside and the entire left sleeve was shredded down the back of my arm. It was at about 11pm when all of this happened and good thing I had my cellphone in the trunk because I had to call a cab to pick me up. I'm from the Dallas area originally, Oak Cliff, so I probably used to ride close to where you ride. And this wreck happened in Cedar Hill about 5 yrs ago.

Last edited by deidreant; 09-02-2008 at 1:17 AM. Reason: quote
post #13 of 16 Old 09-02-2008, 1:41 AM

deidreant, ive even been up and down luna rd on patched tyres. Just havent had any mishaps. If you know Lil Stacey, hes even hammered his 636 and busa down the 8th on front a rear patches till the tyres were just gone from runs and burnouts. I do believe in that one in a million thing though.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-02-2008, 1:48 AM

so you're from down by the golf course by 35. I've been all up and down lbj and 35 and in between. All I can say is be careful with the patches. It only takes one time. Next time I go to visit my mom in Cedar Hill, I might have to look you up to go on a ride with me and my cousins. stay safe
post #15 of 16 Old 09-02-2008, 1:53 AM

Quote:
so you're from down by the golf course by 35. I've been all up and down lbj and 35 and in between. All I can say is be careful with the patches. It only takes one time. Next time I go to visit my mom in Cedar Hill, I might have to look you up to go on a ride with me and my cousins. stay safe
Nah, im in west texas right now. I was stayin in the condos off of LBJ and Abrams RD close to High5 and Al Lambs. Ill prolly be riding back through Dallas in the next 3 weeks riding to Florida. Who do you normally ride with if anyone?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page