'94 F2 won't start - Common? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-21-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

'94 F2 won't start - Common?

Hi, new guy here. Any help would be appreciated. Yes, I have searched the site but can't find a problem description that seems similar enough to me. Here goes:

I took it off the trickle charger it's always on. Bike fired right up. Rode the bike for 1/2 an hour. Parked the bike with the light on for maybe 10 minutes then couldn't restart the bike. Starter ran out of juice pretty quickly. Like the battery wasn't fully charged. Let the bike sit for about 5 minutes and was able to bump start it. Bike was running (parked) and I accidently cut it off (Doh!). Then the battery was completely flat and could not restart. Lights seemed bright but it was daylight out. Got the bike jump started (caught that the inline fuse on the trickle charger pigtail was blown so replaced it prior to the jump) and rode it 5 minutes to my brother's house. Shut the bike off the restarted with no problem. Shut the bike off with lights on for about 5 - 10 minutes and the bike started with no problem. I'm going to garage it for a few days with no charger 'cause I'm not sure what caused the fuse to blow... I'm thinking I have a weird intermittent ground fault but given it's such an old bike I'm wondering if this is a common stator/rectifier/relay problem. BTW - the batter is 3 years old but I'm thinking there's no way the battery should've been that flat after a 1/2 hour ride and then suddenly all super fresh again after a jump start. Fuse may've been blown as a result of a recent power outage, but when I took it off the charger it was no problem to start at all.

Last edited by F2Pup; 09-21-2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Saved too early
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: '94 F2 won't start - Common?

If you want to start troubleshoot, then test the stator and the regulator.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: '94 F2 won't start - Electical

lanbrown, thanks for the response. Thanks to you I googled "testing stator on cbr" and came across this excellent electrical troubleshooting guide for an F3: CBRWorld.net - How to diagnose the charging system

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page