1999 CBR 600 F4 Doesn't want to go into neutral anymore - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1999 CBR 600 F4 Doesn't want to go into neutral anymore

Hey guys, I'm a little new to the maintaining my bike game, I'm worried that my transmission is going, since I got my bike about a year or two ago, these things have been happening:
  • every now and then bike get's stuck in neutral from 1st (shift up hard, but doesn't make it to 2nd gear, a second shift up is required)
  • sometimes the bike gets stuck between gears (shifting from 6-5 for example, the bike sometimes finds a neutral position between gears until I depress the clutch and try and shift again)
  • occasionally shifting from neutral into first while going roughly 5-15mph is really loud and forceful to the bike.
Recently however (past week or so) I've been having this problem:
  • It doesn't want to go into neutral at all. If i'm stopped in 1st or second, It's near impossible to get it into neutral. I have to get it rolling a bit to put it in neutral. Even then, it doesn't feel like it wants to go into neutral as easy as it did previously.
Does anyone know what the problem might specifically be? Does it sound like my transmission is really going, or could it be something easier (cheaper)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 2:30 PM

Re: 1999 CBR 600 F4 Doesn't want to go into neutral anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmatt33 View Post
Hey guys, I'm a little new to the maintaining my bike game, I'm worried that my transmission is going, since I got my bike about a year or two ago, these things have been happening:
  • every now and then bike get's stuck in neutral from 1st (shift up hard, but doesn't make it to 2nd gear, a second shift up is required)
  • sometimes the bike gets stuck between gears (shifting from 6-5 for example, the bike sometimes finds a neutral position between gears until I depress the clutch and try and shift again)
  • occasionally shifting from neutral into first while going roughly 5-15mph is really loud and forceful to the bike.
Recently however (past week or so) I've been having this problem:
  • It doesn't want to go into neutral at all. If i'm stopped in 1st or second, It's near impossible to get it into neutral. I have to get it rolling a bit to put it in neutral. Even then, it doesn't feel like it wants to go into neutral as easy as it did previously.
Does anyone know what the problem might specifically be? Does it sound like my transmission is really going, or could it be something easier (cheaper)?

you need to be in first gear when you stop.. this is a common thing for motorcycles. practice downshifting while you brake so that you are in the gear you need to be in when you need to be in it ;D

your not having any problems out of the ordinary (which means they really aren't problems) you just need to get more accustomed to how to handle your bike.

even the problems you state in the upper half of your thread aren't uncommon. listen to any bike shift to first gear, its not quiet. stuck between gears i think you just need to make a more pronounced shift. dont be scared to downshift..
post #3 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 2:56 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Check that your clutch cable is correctly adjusted (I don't know exactly the procedure for this, consult Haynes or maybe have it serviced?).

(For example: in addition to my 954, I've got an SV650 I use for commuting, and the clutch cable barrell adjuster had vibrated loose and the shifting started acting a little wonky.)

Another thing to check is that your oil is in good condition and at is also the right level. If its degraded, or too low or too high, you may have issues shifting or getting into N.

Finally why not check the gear lever is well greased and adjusted correct. I could imagine road gunk getting encrusted on it and affecting how it works. Again, check Haynes or have it serviced.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-09-2008, 7:42 PM

1 st if there is no drag as in the bike will stop and idle with the clutch lever pulled in, the adjustment should be fine.
2nd if the oil has been changed to a differnt grade and or type of oil this will do 2 things if to light the clutch will burn easier if the oil is heavier it cause drag bewteen the cluch plates and causes the gear box to keep turning and make neutral near impossable and gear changes clunky. My good friend with a RZ350 had this problem last week couldnt get neutral and clunky box. he changed back to the correct oil and now all is perfect again. Look up the standard oil in the manual and do a oil and filter change and see if it helps
post #5 of 7 Old 10-09-2008, 9:58 PM

Reputation Power: 13

adjust your chain
post #6 of 7 Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

NDMBlackBlade: I'm thinking It's not the chain. I just replaced the chain a few months ago, and just adjusted it maybe a week or two ago. I'll look at it again, but it feels good.

SteelFalcon:Though I did change the oil about 500 miles ago, it was 10W40 which is what my manual says it takes. It's your 1st point that gets me though; there is a little drag when the bike is coming to a stop even with the clutch in, as if it's partially engaged

ridelikeaturtle: I'm thinking you might be right, I'm pretty sure it's the clutch, though I don't have my bike in front of me to look at right now. Basically, when I'm stopped (in first, with the clutch in) with the engine off, there's resistance to moving the bike backwards (as if its partially engaged). And when the engine is on, but i'm still stopped in gear, the bike creeps forward even with the clutch fully depressed, again implying its partially engaged.

Also, as an update, now it doesn't change gears at all when not moving. No amount of trying will get it to budge from 1st to 2nd, or neutral.

I'll check the clutch cable some time this week if that's what you think it is, (my clutch could also use a changing though, its loooose like crazy....perhaps that's it?) Unfortunately I don't know as much as I'd like to about the bike, I just know I want to avoid taking it to my local shop as much as possible. They're crap and they charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the help
post #7 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 1:02 PM Thread Starter

For what it's worth, it was my clutch cable. It had vibrated in after a while, so no amount of depressing it would fully engage (or disengage? however you want to think about it) the clutch. I just pulled it back a bit, and now it's running great.

Only thing is now I gotta get used to my "new" clutch again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page