98 desert storm F**Ked with cam issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 desert storm F**Ked with cam issues

ok here it goes my first post and I hope I don't bore anyone with my story. Bought a 98 F3 out of Oshawa Ontario in Canada from a dude that had laid it down and broke the engine case. Got a motor off of Ebay that was from a 96 F3 with 11,000 miles on it but, was told that it need a shim job. My bro told me that it was not a shim issue but, a CCT issue. Started by replacing the automatic CCT and still the issue was present. Opened her up and found several shims that were too tight or too loose. Also found the IN Cam with a messed up lobe. Reaped apart my 98 motor and replaced the IN as well as the EX Cam on the 96 also the timing chain (needed to do all because the 98 and 96 are different). This is where my issue starts and not sure where to go from here. When I tighten the cams to 12lbs as recommended, the timing chain becomes really tight and the center lobes on the IN and EX place force on the buckets reducing the lash to 8mm. If I back off the bolts, tighten them till they are snug and give them a 1/4 turn (on torque it is 9lbs), everything is good, perfect lash, timing chain deflects, cams turn by hand with no issues. The question is, is it ok to leave them at 9lb torque or will the heads walk? I do have loctite in place so, the bolts are not moving currently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-23-2008, 7:44 AM Thread Starter

Re: 98 desert storm F**Ked with cam issues

PazYearzzUP thanks for the info. checked both cams. The lobes and shaft are the same with the same clearence. The front gears are different (98 cams have a large diameter). The chain that is being used is longer on the 98 which is the chain currently on the cams. The motor was bought with the instructions that the shims needed to be done. Honda and my bro where both stating that the shims should be in spec but, the automatic CCT on the F1-F3's have an issue and should be replaced with the APE manual CCT which was done. When I messured the shims oringinally, the motor did seem to have been opened and did not check to see if the cam's where tightened to spec, I think you are right, I most likely messured when cams where out of spec and now, am running into the issue. Do have a question, the lower sprocket in the timing cover, would that too need to be changed? The chain seems to be lined up in the sence that when I hand crank the motor one full revolution, the chain does not bind or jump off the cam sprockets. I will start with it being torqued down to spec and re-shim but, if I need to replace the lower sprocket, might do that at the same time.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-23-2008, 8:09 AM

Reputation Power: 36

The diff in torque from 9 to 12 lbs shouldn't make a difference as to how the cam caps sit. Both are tight enough unless something is out of position like I think is the problem.

I checked the parts and it showed a different p/n for the chain and sprockets. The cams showed the same number. Why the cams would be the same and the sprockets different, I can't say.

Can you use the cams from the 98 with the 96 sprockets and chain?

To answer your question, I wouldn't leave it as you have it. Something is wrong and I'm sure it wouldn't last if you ran it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-23-2008, 8:12 AM

Reputation Power: 36

I was doing my research when you posted again.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-23-2008, 5:45 PM Thread Starter

denzee, I appreciate your input as well. Thanks for doing the research for me that is very appreciated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page