Re: What to do in the rain?
1) The more I ride in the rain, the more I like it. If driving a car bothers you in the rain however, then avoid it on the bike as much as possible.
2) Smoothness is key with throttle, brakes, and turning. You have much more traction than you'd think, but the breaking point is sudden and severe. Don't plan on pulling out in front of a car and getting on the gas hard. Be patient when merging.
3) You are less visible to other drivers who are also distracted by the rain. Get some bright rain gear. Use high-beam in daytime (if you don't already.)
4) The roads are at their worst when the it first starts to rain. The oils on the surface get very slick as they get wet. Sometimes it rains hard enough to wash some of it off but be careful, especially in intersections and at stop lights where cars sit and drip. Stay slightly to the side instead of the middle of the road at these places. Also be careful about where you put your foot down at a stop and have good boots that grip.
5) Keep good tires on the bike.