What to do in the rain? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-02-2008, 8:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

What to do in the rain?

I rode to work yesterday thinking that it was not going to rain. Well to my surprise it did start raining when I left work. I hate the rain in the car and now I especially hate it when im on the bike. Is there anything special im suppose to do when im riding in the rain besides riding slower and stopping sooner and not leaning into a turn too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-04-2008, 5:38 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Re: What to do in the rain?

Hmmm really don't know probably stopping distance and keeping an extra eye out for the people as they tend to not see you as well. How long have you rode? Myself this will be my first season I got my honda May so I know I'm not that knowledgeable

Four wheels move the body Two wheels move the spirit
post #3 of 22 Old 11-04-2008, 5:53 PM

antifog for your visor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-04-2008, 6:22 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by arialarts View Post
I rode to work yesterday thinking that it was not going to rain. Well to my surprise it did start raining when I left work. I hate the rain in the car and now I especially hate it when im on the bike. Is there anything special im suppose to do when im riding in the rain besides riding slower and stopping sooner and not leaning into a turn too much?
You're right...SLOW down. Remember you have 2 wheels only with a combined grip of much less than a single car tyre, so you don't like driving in the rain in your car....this is worse.

You MUST SLOW down. Its so important. Try and use you gearing and engine as 'brakes' instead of your front and rear brakes.

Be aware of any debris that may have be washed onto the road surface. Touching your front brake here could be bad news.

Be aware as everything as you normally would. There is no more 'extra' awareness you will need about other road users. Just that when they make stupid errors (as they do) you need to be further back and allow for a longer stoppping distance.

If you need to stop quick in the rain...forget it. So take your time and Ride Safe.....Better still keep an eye on the weather forecast, if it looks like rain after later in the day....take the car

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #5 of 22 Old 11-04-2008, 9:58 PM

watch out for the painted lines and words on the street, they have much less traction than the road dose when it's wet
post #6 of 22 Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

its all about being as smooth as possible. roll on the throttle very gently, apply the brakes very gently. no jerky motions on either. nice fluid movements all around the bike.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 7:32 AM

Reputation Power: 12

stay in the tracks made by the other cars
post #8 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 8:00 AM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

1) The more I ride in the rain, the more I like it. If driving a car bothers you in the rain however, then avoid it on the bike as much as possible.

2) Smoothness is key with throttle, brakes, and turning. You have much more traction than you'd think, but the breaking point is sudden and severe. Don't plan on pulling out in front of a car and getting on the gas hard. Be patient when merging.

3) You are less visible to other drivers who are also distracted by the rain. Get some bright rain gear. Use high-beam in daytime (if you don't already.)

4) The roads are at their worst when the it first starts to rain. The oils on the surface get very slick as they get wet. Sometimes it rains hard enough to wash some of it off but be careful, especially in intersections and at stop lights where cars sit and drip. Stay slightly to the side instead of the middle of the road at these places. Also be careful about where you put your foot down at a stop and have good boots that grip.

5) Keep good tires on the bike.

post #9 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 8:09 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX View Post
1) The more I ride in the rain, the more I like it. If driving a car bothers you in the rain however, then avoid it on the bike as much as possible.

2) Smoothness is key with throttle, brakes, and turning. You have much more traction than you'd think, but the breaking point is sudden and severe. Don't plan on pulling out in front of a car and getting on the gas hard. Be patient when merging.

3) You are less visible to other drivers who are also distracted by the rain. Get some bright rain gear. Use high-beam in daytime (if you don't already.)

4) The roads are at their worst when the it first starts to rain. The oils on the surface get very slick as they get wet. Sometimes it rains hard enough to wash some of it off but be careful, especially in intersections and at stop lights where cars sit and drip. Stay slightly to the side instead of the middle of the road at these places. Also be careful about where you put your foot down at a stop and have good boots that grip.

5) Keep good tires on the bike.

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #10 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta

if riding in rural roads stay near the middle as pools of water gather near the verge side.
The pools can also hide hidden dangers
Make sure the tryres you are using are also good in the wet.

Using stuff like Mr Sheen on your visor is good as it makes a film that allows the rain to run off easily.

Rem to tilt your umbrella slightly forward or the wind will blow it away

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #11 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Reputation Power: 166

Might sound daft but get decent wet weather gear - it's hard to concentrate on riding when you're soaking wet, cold and have trickles of water running down your neck! If you're at least warm and dry you can focus on riding and watching out for cars not watching out for you!
post #12 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 2:08 PM

Everything that has been said already is true and great advise. You also need to remember that cars, trucks, bikes, all can leak oil. Because of this Do Not Ride in the middle of the lane. Your bike could very easily come out from undernieth you. Be careful out there riders. Here in TX. we have had a lot of fallen riders lately.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
its all about being as smooth as possible. roll on the throttle very gently, apply the brakes very gently. no jerky motions on either. nice fluid movements all around the bike.
Smooth and relax.Get good rain gear and you will be more comfortable on the bike(as your not wet and cold)allowing you to enjoy the ride.Rain doesnt bother me in the slightest as its always raining here.I actually enjoy riding at a nice pace in the wet.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 3:09 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I'm suprised noone said drive the cage in. I usually just give in and drive the car into work when it's raining.

But getting stuck in the rain is another story and the stuff mentioned above are all good points.
post #15 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 3:31 PM

Reputation Power: 17

i won't sound redundant by repeating all the great advice, but my #1 is not to be intimidated by the rain.. respect the weather but with good tires and gear there is no reason not to ride..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page