F3 has trouble starting and issues w/ choke... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 8:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

F3 has trouble starting and issues w/ choke...

Howdy, yes I'm a noob anyway, bought a 98 F3 last week, runs great...once I get it running. It won't start if it's under about 55 degrees without the assistance of jumper cables or such, as it runs the battery down cranking. Once I do finally get it started, it runs fine unless I turn the choke all the way off. Once I do, it idles @ 5000 rpms, even when I put it in gear. Does it need the AFM adjusted? If so, how do you do that on these bikes? I've worked on cars, but never bikes. Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 2:31 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Re: F3 has trouble starting and issues w/ choke...

Hi, it could be one of many things but start at the battery and rectifier / regulator leads- the cold kills an old battery, could be time for a new one but remove the pos & neg leads and give them a good clean up and nip em back up. Back from that it could be the rectifier/regulator earth lead so first check the earth lead by removing the screw holding the little lead on to the mounting plate and give it all good clean up (you need to remove the R/H rear side panel, its below the pillion seat area. Rec/regs are a common failure point so you may want to try a second hand one. Alternators can also start to fail giving poor output for charging but this is usually on very high mileage bikes. Also the starter bushes may be worn.
When you take the choke off do you mean it only idles at 500rpm? (at 5000 rpm it would be revving like hell!). To adjust the idle speed to the correct idle of 1200 +/- 100 rpm (when the engine is warm & off choke) there is a throttle stop screw 6" to the right of the petrol cock near the fuel pump tucked in the fairing cut-out. It's a black plastic knurled knob, turn left to decrease right to increase rpm.

Last edited by PEM-954; 01-25-2009 at 4:11 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 2:55 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Nice post Pem - Rep coming your way!

The idling will need to be adjusted in the way that PEM said (using the idling screw)...

About your starting issues... When you try starting do you use the choke? What happens when you do? Do you use the throttle in any way?

You need to make sure you have a strong spark therefore meaning you need a strong battery. Does she always start straight away when using a jump etc?

"Second is the first of the losers..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 3:33 PM Thread Starter

thanx for all your suggestions, but i doubt it's the battery. to clarify, yes, it's 5000 rpms(who knows, maybe a throttle linkage issue?). we had the battery checked and it's still good. we charged it and such. also, it doesn't start right off w/ a jump, it just provides enough juice to crank a while longer then when it's alone. and yes, i always use the choke when starting and it just turns over unless it's warm enough. i only use the throttle when she starts to try and pick up on her own.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 5:50 PM Thread Starter

k, tried the idle adjustment, don't think it's the problem. i maxed it out and got it down to 2500-3000 rpms, but it died if i ran it any lower and it couldn't run below no choke.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 7:42 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I'd suggest checking your plugs, and see what they tell you. If they are loaded up with fuel, I've seen circumstances where they would still halfway start and run if you dump enough fuel on them. My choke cable is screwed, if I get it on, it doesn't want to come off, but even down as low as 40°, (about as cold as it get here in Florida, at least when I might think about riding), mine will start with no choke anyway. I hold the throttle nearly wide open when I 1st start cranking for a couple or three seconds, then let the throttle go back to idle. As it goes back to idle, it fires, then I kinda pump the throttle a bit to pick the revs up, and hold it at about 1200~1400 for 10~20 seconds, then it will idle on it's own @about 1000. Once it's warmed up for a minute or two, it will ease on up to about 1400, which is where I have my idle set.
I have a Kawasaki Mule, and it starts pretty much the same way, although I do use the choke on it sometimes.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 9:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Sounds like a big vacuum leak to me. I suggest checking the boots between the head and the throttle bodies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page