1997 F3 problems (carbs?) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-2008, 4:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1997 F3 problems (carbs?)

hi all. got a problem here, and its stumped me badly.

this is the problem.
i have a 97 f3. purchased it as a wrecked bike, stripped down the fairings and fighter'd it. i had taken the ram air out, stuffed the parts into a box while i cleaned up the engine/frame. well, i can only assume the box got tossed, because now i cant find the ram air parts. (airbox to ram air inlet.) i put in pod filters and now the bike will NOT pull past 5-6k rpm (no tach on it yet, this is a guess from engine sound) do not know if this is related to the removal of the ram air, or if it was like this when i got it, as i was not ridable in the shape i bought it.

here's what it does...
when cold, will not start without choke....BUT when i choke it and start it, when i turn off the choke it dies right out....will immediatly re-start without choke though if engine is somewhat warm.

pulls fine until 25% throttle. any gear, any speed. from 25% up to WOT, it bogs, mis-fires, ect. will not pull.

was TOLD (unsure of information, just stating what the PO told me when i bought it) it had just came out of the shop for factory service. new plugs, carbs cleaned, wires, ect. but it sat for an unknown period of time (plates that were on the bike went out of date 3 months before i got the bike, so i can assume its been at least that long.)

putting ram air back onto the bike isnt really an option at this point unless it HAS to be done, as all the parts have dissapeared, and this is supposed to be a budget build. no wreckers nearby either. (driving an hour for spark plugs on a motorcycle is stupid, if it tells you how far out i am...lol)

i've heard of people getting f3's to work without ram air, but they never posted HOW they did it.

ANY help on this subject would be nice.

thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2008, 8:06 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to TattooedGQ
Re: 1997 F3 problems (carbs?)

the universal answer for everything.....try seafoam......it's worth a shot if the carbs are slightly gummed.

I don't think the ram air has anything to do with it only because at idle there's no air flowing into the system to create pressure.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2008, 2:18 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Even without the ram air, do you have the airbox on it? If not, the carb calibration will be WAAAYYYY off, and may not even open the sliders, which would definitely explain no power above 5K. It's even going to be difficult to get pod filters to work reliably on that type of carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2008, 5:02 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to TattooedGQ

Good point, I assumed the airbox was on, just not the ram air system
post #5 of 7 Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM

this is caused by your ram-air not being connected, I had the same prob but my ram air pipes were sitting behind my nose fairing and once I moved it forward again it worked fine, cost me a new filter, spark plugs balancing carbs ect.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Assuming your carbs are clean and your slides are working properly, this issue can be resolved with a selection of main jets. And yes, I have been working on bikes for about 5 years (plus I am a MMI graduate)
I have added K&N filter pods to several bikes and everytime I had to jet up the mains to overcome this very situation you are experiencing. Normally you will need to go 10-20% bigger on the mains. Yes, it is gioing to effect your mileage, but it will run better.
What causes this? The factory box is a tuned plenum length, you have altered this so the jetting is now lean, easy fix, if you know how to use some tools and are mechanically inclined.
While you are at the carbs, you may want to adjust the low speed needles. Assuming the carbs have been apart for cleaning before, the plugs were probably pulled and never replaced (EPA deal here)
WARNING!!! If your state does emissions testing on bikes, adjusting the needles may cause you to fail the test.
Bottom the needles out (dont go gorilla tight). LIGHTLY seating them. Now turn them all out 2 1/2 turns.
Hope this helps.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2009, 1:59 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Airbox on the F3 is pressurized so that may be a factor.

I haven't touched an F3 in YEARS, though.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page