Old CBR - do up, or bite bullet and pay for newer version? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 12-21-2008, 6:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Old CBR - do up, or bite bullet and pay for newer version?

Hiya All,

Financial Realities kicking in.

I have a 1996 CBR600F3, and a 1992 CBR400RRN.

The girlfriend is going to have the CBR400 (Horay, the only way I can get her to ride!) I now need to get myself sorted out.

What do I do? Do up the CBR6, or bite the bullet and pay for a newer version?
(I bought the CBR400 as a "fair weather rider" replacement for the CBR600. But now, I'll be riding a bit more, and need to work out what I should do.)

I never spec'ed up the CBR6, apart from Braided hoses, and lowering the seat padding. The CBR4 is a real pocket rocket..... I'm not sure I can just go back to a "comfy armchair" stock CBR600f3.

What do I do?
I figure, there are 2 options:

1) Buy 2nd hand 2007 CBR600: Cost £5,500 + £(Increased insurance)

2) Keep old Bike: Cost £650+
1) £ 50 K&N Filter
2) £250 K&N Carb Kit & Set up
3) £150 Aftermarket Can
4) £200 New Chain and Sprockets (She needs them now!)
5) n/a Scottoiler

A big saving If I keep the old cbr600! But would the above upgrades improve the 1996 CBR6 materially? Or am I really looking at a newer CBR6 - to compete with the buzz of a CBR400?!?!?! THe 2007 Model is, what, 15Kg lighter, and outputs more BHP and Torque etc!

Hope you can advise

Cheers
Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 5:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: Old CBR - do up, or bite bullet and pay for newer version?

Bump!

Com'on Chaps, I know this is an emotive and controversial question. But I'd really like you opnion on this one!

A big saving If I keep the old cbr600! But would the above upgrades listed about improve the 1996 CBR6 in a significant way?

Hope you can advise!

Cheers
Martin
post #3 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 5:51 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

the 07 is a nice bike but what you have now is a nice bike, there are alot of differance between the 2 bikes, the 07 is fuel injected, lighter,and alot more power and torque, the f3 has always been a good bike and nothing wrong with putting some money into it and keeping it. it all depends on what you want and how much money you have to spare.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 5:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscottab View Post
the 07 is a nice bike but what you have now is a nice bike, there are alot of differance between the 2 bikes, the 07 is fuel injected, lighter,and alot more power and torque, the f3 has always been a good bike and nothing wrong with putting some money into it and keeping it. it all depends on what you want and how much money you have to spare.

Hiya Scott,

I'm starting to think that as well!

Are there any helpful web sites REyno Charts etc?
I'm hoping for "Before" and "After" case studies.

Be good to see reviews of cbr600f
post #5 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 6:13 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

not sure about other sites for the 600, iam only in a couple sites and this is one of 2 main sites i log into on a daily basis, try typing in cbr600f3 in your search engine and see what comes up you might find what you are looking for.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #6 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 6:54 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Congrats on getting your other half riding...

Back to the thread... Do you need another bike? Can you afford to buy it AND pay the extra expenses e.g. higher premium?

From the way I look at it, I would put the £650 into the CBR6F3 and use that. Maybe in the future upgrade but the way things are going e.g. recession, why upgrade when there is no need?

Upgrade when you need to, not when you want to. (But that doesn't mean your other half can now buy some extra shoes or a handbag...)

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #7 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 6:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 196

In the current economic situation i'd be tempted to keep the old old bike that said in the current economic situation some good deals will be coming up ! It all really depends on your circumstances

It wasn't me, honest !
post #8 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 6:59 AM Thread Starter

Hiya Chaps,

Yeah, you are probably right! Money wise, it'll be better to not spend stupid at this point in time.

Right, do up the old CBR600 it is then!

One gripe - 2nd gear is a pig to get into. Especially compared to the CBR400 silky smooth change.

Is that expensive major "engine" work to cure, or is it relatively cheaper "crack open engine case, replace 2nd gear cog, repace"????
post #9 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 7:04 AM

Reputation Power: 59

I have no clue regarding the second gear... One person who will probably be able to help you is Bladeracer - I believe he has seen a fair few gearboxes in his time.

The CBR6 is bound to be different compared to the 400... Just will take a little getting used to.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #10 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 7:13 AM

Reputation Power: 36

You know your financial situation best but I'd say keep the bike for another season while you save a little more. Half of the things you listed for replacement on the old F3 aren't neccessary so don't spend it. Then consider an 04 or 05 CBR 600. Much less all the way around.
post #11 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 AM

Reputation Power: 0

The way the market is now , it may be a good time to find a good deal on a bike. If its in your budget.
post #12 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139

Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

I'd think of it this way.....

If you like the look/power of the 6 you've got...
keep it and do it up......

If your not happy with it look for a newer one at a bargin price... alot of people are having to sell second bikes etc... so you may be able to pick up a bargin if you can stretch to it

As long as I fall, I don't hit the ground. As long as I fall, I'm safe & sound.
post #13 of 39 Old 12-23-2008, 9:36 PM

Have you ridden a 2007/2008 600RR yet?

I was on the fence between putting money into a 2003 F4i and buying a 2007/8 RR.

That was before I rode the RR.

Afterwards it was no longer a question. Yes it was more money but there was a huge difference between the F4i and the RR. I can only imagine the difference between the F3 and the RR.

Look at this way; how many generations of changes have there been since the F3? 1st F4, 2nd F4i, 3rd 03 RR, 4th 05 RR, 5th 07 RR. That's five redesigns with the F4, 03RR and 07RR being huge changes from the previous generation.

Like I said once I rode the 08 RR I went home just so I could tell myself that I wasn't being hasty, came back the next day and rode it home.
post #14 of 39 Old 12-25-2008, 12:54 AM

I'm in the same boat as you Marty. I have a 98 F3 that needs some work and I keep wondering if it's worth the expense on parts. Right now I've got the left fork out cause it's leaking. I've rebuilt them before and a set of new seals from race tech is pretty resonably priced...but the pitting in the fork tube I noticed upon inspection is bothering me. New OEM ones retail about $175 each and I'm having a hard time finding a used parts bike(preferably crashed/cheaper) cheap without bent forks.

The clutch is starting to go and a few other areas are fine as is, but my anal retentive self is bothered enough about them to want to fix them.

I've PDI'd and test riden quite a few newer CBRs including the 08 models...so I definitly know the huge difference in performance between the models. After all this, I plan to keep my baby. Bottom line, I love the bike. It's way more fun stuffing the front of my F3 into a corner and wringing it's neck on the way out then it is on the newer models...which can make you ask yourself, did I even feel anything taking that last turn on this latest and greatest bike?

Plus I just got my new insurance premium last month since the bike has turned 10 years old...went from about $400/year to $89/year...F-in A And part of me has to wonder would I be happy owning just a newer bike that only needed routine maintanence...what the heck would I do on rainly or cold days?

Each person is different, for me I vote keep it. Plus it's kinda cool to feel unique on an older bike that you don't see many of nowadays. It's cool to have the latest and greates bike out there, but that looses it's magic after dropping it for the first time or whenyou see a bunch of other people on the same new model. The cool unique feeling of being on an older model in good condition just gets better with age, IMO
post #15 of 39 Old 12-25-2008, 7:02 AM Thread Starter

Hiya All,

Firstly, happy xmas all! I Havebeen shoo'ed out of kitchen, while parents finish xmas dinner! Waiting for rest of family to arrive!

Thank you for all the input guys.

I reckon I will keep the old CBR for the time being. The money saved is just to significant! We can use it on new bike gear for her, Bike Training, Biking holiday?? etc etc

May get a more powerful cbr at a later date, when the GF speeds up and I need to actually push myself a bit more! 8)

Cheers all

Martin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page