Fuel pump problems - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-24-2010, 9:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-22-2010
Location: florida
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Fuel pump problems

Hi guys, Im new here and new to the Cbr also. I got a 05 f4i 600 that I bought wrecked. mostly front end damage. Anyway getting everything wired back up except the head light and try to start it. Im not hearing the fuel pump running, I got dash lights and motor turns over even horn works. I tested the fuel pump connector on left side under tank and I have volts.Also, I bought a tank on ebay and put the fuel pump from the old dented tank to the one I bought. When I put gas into it the gas just pouring out around the rubber seal of the fuel pump. I cant find anything wrong with the seal. Any Suggestion? Thanks
tallbill17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 08-24-2010, 9:53 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Fuel pump problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbill17 View Post
Hi guys, Im new here and new to the Cbr also. I got a 05 f4i 600 that I bought wrecked. mostly front end damage. Anyway getting everything wired back up except the head light and try to start it. Im not hearing the fuel pump running, I got dash lights and motor turns over even horn works. I tested the fuel pump connector on left side under tank and I have volts.Also, I bought a tank on ebay and put the fuel pump from the old dented tank to the one I bought. When I put gas into it the gas just pouring out around the rubber seal of the fuel pump. I cant find anything wrong with the seal. Any Suggestion? Thanks

Is the bank angle sensor connected and mounted in the correct position?
Have you tried connecting 12V directly to the pump to confirm it works?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-22-2010
Location: florida
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

I believe the bank angle sensor is on the right side below the tank and its mounted in the factory position as far as I can tell. I have not tried direct 12v current to the fuel pump yet. I will do that next.
tallbill17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 08-30-2010, 5:03 PM
 
Join Date: 08-06-2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

I'm not being a jerk, but look at the kill switch...this has gotten my so many times it's not even funny. I am an engineer and try to diagnose/rewire/triple check all the difficult stuff first by nature, then my g/f flips it for me and laughs...bitch.
shutupandride is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-31-2010, 1:57 AM
 
Join Date: 07-28-2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

Hey guys,
I dont mean to hijack this thread, and if I am please feel free to tell me to start my own.
I just thought between us all we may be able to figure this out.

I have a 02 cbr 600 f4i. I had a accident and had to replace my fairing.
before I took my fairing off the bike was still starting perfect every time so I know its not from the accident.

While I had the fairing off, I had someone come and pick up my bike to detail it and fix up some scratches. before they took it I removed the battery and ECU (the computer above the battery??)

The bike came back today, I connected all the fairing back up (replaced the whole set) connected the cables, computer and battery back up. then try to start it, all lights come on, everything on the dash works but do not hear the sound of the pump priming.?
I have read a few forums. I have checked the back angle sensor (it is meant to be facing with the rounded end to the top right?)
plugged back in the gray wire connecters that connect the front end back up. reconnected my indicators, checked my fuses and everything seems to be connected fine.

I am not mechanical what so ever haha, so know nothing about how to connect the fuel pump directly to battery.
does anyone know what other things to look out could be, or what is wrong?

hopefully we can all help get this sorted, and the OPs as well.

cheers

Ryan
cooma7 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-31-2010, 3:45 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Fuel pump problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooma7 View Post
Hey guys,
I dont mean to hijack this thread, and if I am please feel free to tell me to start my own.
I just thought between us all we may be able to figure this out.

I have a 02 cbr 600 f4i. I had a accident and had to replace my fairing.
before I took my fairing off the bike was still starting perfect every time so I know its not from the accident.

While I had the fairing off, I had someone come and pick up my bike to detail it and fix up some scratches. before they took it I removed the battery and ECU (the computer above the battery??)

The bike came back today, I connected all the fairing back up (replaced the whole set) connected the cables, computer and battery back up. then try to start it, all lights come on, everything on the dash works but do not hear the sound of the pump priming.?
I have read a few forums. I have checked the back angle sensor (it is meant to be facing with the rounded end to the top right?)
plugged back in the gray wire connecters that connect the front end back up. reconnected my indicators, checked my fuses and everything seems to be connected fine.

I am not mechanical what so ever haha, so know nothing about how to connect the fuel pump directly to battery.
does anyone know what other things to look out could be, or what is wrong?

hopefully we can all help get this sorted, and the OPs as well.

cheers

Ryan
No, the bank angle sensor has an arrow on it to indicate which way is up. The rounded end is the bottom.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-31-2010, 5:17 AM
 
Join Date: 07-28-2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

Bladeracer; I am such a retard. thanks SOOO much for telling me that..
when it didnt start, I just started reading forums and that didnt even come up so I thought it was something worse right from the start.
switched it up the right way (seeing the arrow this time)
and BANG. started up first time!!

Ironic thing is, when I side swiped the car and it was laying on its side on the road next to my broken body the dam thing didnt turn off HAHA.
and funny enough, when I woke up and someone was taking my helmet off, the first thing I said to the guy was, "Can you please turn my bike off. just hit the red switch!!"

Thanks again mate.

Ryan
cooma7 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-31-2010, 8:14 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Fuel pump problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooma7 View Post
Bladeracer; I am such a retard. thanks SOOO much for telling me that..
when it didnt start, I just started reading forums and that didnt even come up so I thought it was something worse right from the start.
switched it up the right way (seeing the arrow this time)
and BANG. started up first time!!

Ironic thing is, when I side swiped the car and it was laying on its side on the road next to my broken body the dam thing didnt turn off HAHA.
and funny enough, when I woke up and someone was taking my helmet off, the first thing I said to the guy was, "Can you please turn my bike off. just hit the red switch!!"

Thanks again mate.

Ryan

:-)
It's never good for the engine to keep running while the bike is on it's side as the oil pickup may not be sucking any oil.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-31-2010, 3:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-22-2010
Location: florida
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

Ok I found out that there was no bank angle sensor on my harness so I got one off ebay. Plugged it up and the bike started right up. Nowww! Here is what I cannot figure out. Im replacing the tank coz it has a big dent. I bought a tank off ebay a 2001 my bike is a 2004. I took the fuel pump out of the dented tank and put it into the new tank. When I put it on the bike and put gas into the tank, the gas came pouring out of the bottom where the fuel pump bolts up. I took off the fuel pump and replaced it again making sure the rubber gasket was seated good. And it still does the same thing! I took the fuel pump off and put it back on the dented tank and there is no leaking. What could be the problem?? As far as I can tell 2001-2004 tanks are identical.. HELP!!!!
tallbill17 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-04-2010, 9:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-22-2010
Location: florida
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

ANYONE KNOW WHY THE FUEL PUMP OFF A 2004 CBR 600F4I LEAKS WHEN I PUT IT ON A 2001 GAS TANK? BUT YET WHEN I PUT IT BACK ON THE 2004 TANK IT DOESNT LEAK. IM STUMPED!
tallbill17 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 09-05-2010, 1:30 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Fuel pump problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbill17 View Post
ANYONE KNOW WHY THE FUEL PUMP OFF A 2004 CBR 600F4I LEAKS WHEN I PUT IT ON A 2001 GAS TANK? BUT YET WHEN I PUT IT BACK ON THE 2004 TANK IT DOESNT LEAK. IM STUMPED!
Nothing obvious comes to mind.
Where exactly is the fuel coming through?
Are you using the same gaskets, bolts and washers on both tanks?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 09-05-2010, 8:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-22-2010
Location: florida
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

LEAKING FROM AROUND THE FUEL PUMP WHERE IT BOLTS UP,, YES USING THE SAME EVERYTHING ON BOTH TANKS.. ONE LEAKS THE OTHER ONE DOESNT!!!
tallbill17 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 09-05-2010, 1:46 PM
 
Join Date: 06-28-2010
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

Well, for starters, all caps is kind of off putting.... Second, Theres a pattern you need to tighten the fuel pump bolts in, similar to a car tire. Ive never tried to tighten them any other way, but it could be possible you pinched the rubber gasket by over/improper tightening. Also, check the gasket, if its dried or cracked then thatll do it too. Also, check the tank. ANY differences at all??? even excess dirt (not sure why any should be there in the first place....) could cause a leak
Cbr_Steve is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 09-05-2010, 8:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-22-2010
Location: florida
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

NOTHING WRONG WITH THE RUBBER GASKET IT DOES NOT LEAK IN THE DENTED TANK. I BOLTED IT ON AND TIGHTEN EACH NUTS HORIZONTAL TO EACH OTHER. DID IT A FEW TIMES JUST TO SEE IF IT WOULD KEEP LEAKING AND IT DOES.. RAN MY FINGER ROUND THE HOLE IN TANK EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE. JUST CANT FIGURE IT OUT! SHOULD I CUT AND NEW GASKET AND ADD A GASKET TO IT?
tallbill17 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 09-29-2010, 6:16 AM
 
Join Date: 09-29-2010
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Fuel pump problems

There's nothing you can do to fix the pump. When they go bad, you have to replace it. Having said that, to test the pump just unhook the fuel line from the carb(s), point it away from everything and turn on the key. Don't try to start the bike just turn on the key.
If the pump's working, it'll shoot gas out. If not, nothing will happen. On some bike it is possible to bypass the fuel pump and connect the line from the tank directly to the carbs. This will get you going temporarily, but replace the pump as soon as you can.
davidhill is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fuel pump problems Nehpets General Discussion 1 06-28-2010 5:02 AM
fuel pump problems, any ideas? gwarfan Honda CBR 600 7 08-22-2008 7:35 PM
problems with my fuel pump...help!!! running amuck General Discussion 2 05-01-2008 9:22 AM
HELP!! 954 fuel pump problems.. 954BLADE Honda FireBlade 2 04-29-2008 9:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome