rpm trouble - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

rpm trouble

I have a 93 cbr 600 f2 and at high rpm's, the bike starts to surge and make a popping sound like it is missing. When i get the bike up to high speeds, it began to surge. under normal condition, the bike runs fine (speed limit). can someone lend me a helping hand? thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-01-2010, 2:22 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: rpm trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmilt1969 View Post
I have a 93 cbr 600 f2 and at high rpm's, the bike starts to surge and make a popping sound like it is missing. When i get the bike up to high speeds, it began to surge. under normal condition, the bike runs fine (speed limit). can someone lend me a helping hand? thanx

Is it at the same rpm regardless of which gear you're in?
How old are your plugs?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 09-03-2010 at 6:30 AM.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-02-2010, 9:11 AM Thread Starter

yes, it starts about the same rpm no matter which gear. I change the spark plug last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
yes, it starts about the same rpm no matter which gear. I change the spark plug last year.

Last year really doesn't help :-)
How old in mileage are the plugs?
The bike just started doing this for no reason, it was running fine before?
It sounds like perhaps it's going lean at a specific point.
What rpm is the problem at?
Is it only a problem under full throttle or even slight throttle causes it to stumble?
Is the fairing and intake ducting all correct?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 24 Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Reputation Power: 17

I think bladeracer has it and it is running lean which could be your main jets? Have you done any mods to the bike or has it been sitting for a while. Is it just at high speed as BR says? what rpm is it happening at?
post #6 of 24 Old 09-02-2010, 2:06 PM Thread Starter

i bought the bike like this. i thought that it was the plugs and i replace them last year. i have not put very many miles on it. when i get it up around 4500 rpm it began to miss, or when i get the speed up around 115 to 125 mph i can feel the surge. can the lean problem be fix easily or do i need to seek professional help?
post #7 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 2:28 AM

Reputation Power: 17

You could have a look at checking/syncing the carbs, checking all your fuel and air hoses and filters. I believe that the F2 is gravity feed and does not use a fuel pump. Does it surge all the time, every time? Does it have any mods on it? Exhaust, ignition retard?
post #8 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 3:13 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Last year really doesn't help :-)
Is the fairing and intake ducting all correct?
Would removal of fairing cause a bike to go lean?
post #9 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 6:16 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
Would removal of fairing cause a bike to go lean?

Not necessarily but if the fairing directs air to the airbox or it has any tubing to the airbox it can cause all sorts of problems if you remove it. My ZX6R doesn't like to pull over about 140kph without the air ducting and a mate's F3 behaved similarly.

post #10 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 6:23 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i bought the bike like this. i thought that it was the plugs and i replace them last year. i have not put very many miles on it. when i get it up around 4500 rpm it began to miss, or when i get the speed up around 115 to 125 mph i can feel the surge. can the lean problem be fix easily or do i need to seek professional help?

It depends on what is causing it.
If something has been deliberately altered (like the airbox, compression ratio or exhaust system) that requires rejetting and it's never been done, then you'd probably do better to take it to a tuning shop, ideally one with a dyno.
If it was jetted just fine but something has changed, then that's likely to be easier to fix. You need to ensure there are no air leaks in the intake system for a start. Also check the air filter is clean and properly sealed.
If possible do a run at 4500rpm while it's surging and immediately cut the engine, pull over and pull the plugs to see if they're indicating an overly rich or lean condition.
You can also tape over half of the air intake and see if that makes a noticeable difference. If it improves then it's definately too lean. Tape it securely though, you don't want to suck the tape into the intake.

I assume you are running fresh fuel?

Last edited by bladeracer; 09-05-2010 at 1:33 AM.
post #11 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 9:08 AM Thread Starter

i did add a new jardine muffler. But i replace the vance and hines. Also add some wire mesh over the air intake in the fairing. I also remember spraying some starter fluild around the air intake and the motor increase in rpm slightly. I will go back and check all these sugestion and see if i can come up with a reason. If not i will have to seek professional help. thanks
post #12 of 24 Old 09-04-2010, 4:24 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Not necessarily but if the fairing directs air to the airbox or it has any tubing to the airbox it can cause all sorts of problems if you remove it. My ZX6R doesn't like to pull over about 140kph without the air ducting and a mate's F3 behaved similarly.

Ahh all right makes sense.

I was just curious cause with my 99 900RR, no fairing, it now has issues doing highway speeds 70mph. I have to give it more throttle to keep it running properly. If I let off, then roll back into it the bike will sputter.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-04-2010, 7:42 PM

the older hondas had a flapper system in the ram air box (f3, etc). if you disable or remove it, the bike will run like crap at higher rpms for some reason. my friends f3 stuntbike did it. i dont know if he re-jetted it, he ended up selling it for a newer bike before i ever got a chance to look at it. also, if your bike has been sitting, that isnt helping the situation, but generally the pilot jets will clog first.
post #14 of 24 Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 PM

91 cbr 600f2 did the same thing at 4500 rpm so i cleaned my carbs and had the synced then put in an in line fuel filter which has helped a lot due to the need for a tank but they are $926 and i cant afford so do what i did and u should be fine

its nice to answer questions about the same issue i had
post #15 of 24 Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

i am going to get the carbs clean and sync. i will post if this solve the problems. thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page