cbr power drain - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cbr power drain

hey just bought a 1996 cbr 600. the battery holds no power, ill charge the battery the bike will start an then like an hour later the battery is completely dead, even if im riding it for the hour still dead, so it seems that the alternator may not be working either or maybe the power drain is so bad it cant charge it, idk any ideas?

also out of curiosity about how much would it cost to get a top end rebuild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-23-2010, 1:35 AM

Re: cbr power drain

Sounds like it could be a bad stator. Why do you think you need to rebuild the top end?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-23-2010, 2:49 AM

Reputation Power: 15

charge the battery and turn on the bike remove the battery if bike stays on stator is good or if you have a meter check voltage should be at around 13~14 volts if im correct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-23-2010, 3:01 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpie426 View Post
hey just bought a 1996 cbr 600. the battery holds no power, ill charge the battery the bike will start an then like an hour later the battery is completely dead, even if im riding it for the hour still dead, so it seems that the alternator may not be working either or maybe the power drain is so bad it cant charge it, idk any ideas?

also out of curiosity about how much would it cost to get a top end rebuild

Disconnect the battery and if it still won't hold a charge then the battery is the problem. If it does hold a charge then something on the bike is draining it.
If the bike is not charging it then you need to do the tests from the manual to determine if a component has failed.

The F3 engine has integrated cylinders so you need a total engine rebuild to do the topend. Boring would be around US$200 I'd guess as I think they're iron rather than plated aluminium. A piston kit would probably be around $600. Head gasket, valve cover gasket and valve guide seals would be another couple of hundred I'd guess but I'd replace all the seals, gaskets and bearings in the bottom end while I had it apart if it were mine. Add anything else that might be worn or broken and add a bunch of labour if you don't plan on doing it yourself. And don't forget the oil, filters, plugs, coolant and valve shims.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 10-23-2010, 7:43 AM Thread Starter

ok ill try that an let u know how it goes
post #6 of 7 Old 10-25-2010, 6:01 PM Thread Starter

i found out that the stator an the rectifier an the wire harness connector are brand new as well as the battery
post #7 of 7 Old 11-01-2010, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpie426 View Post
i found out that the stator an the rectifier an the wire harness connector are brand new as well as the battery
One of those components may have a manufacturer defect. Use a voltmeter or multimeter and test the voltage on the battery when running. The stator should produce about 14v on the battery terminals. If you increase the throttle, then the voltage should increase.
You either have a really bad power draw, bad stator, bad harness, or bad rectifier. Check your electrical connections also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page