CBR F4 HOT STALL ISSUE WHEN FAN COMES ON - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-01-2010, 1:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR F4 HOT STALL ISSUE WHEN FAN COMES ON

Has anyone figured out the cause of the hot stall issue??? I've been searching for days. I have a 99 CBR 600 F4. I have replaced my battery with an expensive odyssee 310 battery, new and higher wattage stator (my old one went out because of the excessive draw/brown outs), a new and improved aftermarket R/R, and water wetter. My bike runs a heck of alot better than it did before now that I replaced this stuff, and charges like it should. However, my bike still stumbles a bit only when the fan comes on at stoplights. Has anyone ever replaced their cooling fan motor before with a more efficient one? I believe replacing this would solve my issues. I was looking at F4I fan motors and they have a different part number than the F4 fan motors; perhaps the F4I fan motors draw less power? Does anyone know? It looks like the F4I fan motor would bolt right up to my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-31-2011, 5:31 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Re: CBR F4 HOT STALL ISSUE WHEN FAN COMES ON

I WOULD GO TO HONDA AND SEE IF THERE WAS A SERVICE ANNOUNCMENT ON IT
post #3 of 16 Old 01-31-2011, 5:21 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, there are no service announcements or recalls for my bike. Maybe, if enough of us call Honda, they will look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 PM

Reputation Power: 9

I was thinking there might be two other things. The fan motor just draws too much voltage at start up. (It’s a long shot) Or the voltage regulator can’t adjust fast enough for the voltage spike and it takes a second to adjust. Every electrical thing is effected cause of it.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to replace my fan in my F4 from an F4I. If that doesn't solve it then I'll replace my Regulator Rectifier again, because maybe I bought a faulty one.

I really wish I could get someone to test the resistance across their fan in ohms, and tell me what the reading on their multimeter say's. Then I could compare my resistance reading to theirs and that would tell me if my fan is bad or not.

I have noticed that when my bike gets hot enough for the fan to come the RPM gauge sticks until I rev the bike up really high. Also, my neutral light and other dash lights will flicker. However, this all happens much later after the fan comes on than it did before I put the new and improved battery, stator, and R/R.

Last edited by pcicrich; 02-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-06-2011, 4:49 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcicrich View Post
I think I'm going to replace my fan in my F4 from an F4I. If that doesn't solve it then I'll replace my Regulator Rectifier again, because maybe I bought a faulty one.

I really wish I could get someone to test the resistance across their fan in ohms, and tell me what the reading on their multimeter say's. Then I could compare my resistance reading to theirs and that would tell me if my fan is bad or not.

I have noticed that when my bike gets hot enough for the fan to come the RPM gauge sticks until I rev the bike up really high. Also, my neutral light and other dash lights will flicker. However, this all happens much later after the fan comes on than it did before I put the new and improved battery, stator, and R/R.
An F4 is designed to run an F4 fan. It could be that the Fan motor is faulty, possibly causing an electrical short - if not the short could be caused else where starting from the fan motor switch wiring to the fan motor or from the fan motor wiring back through the live wire. The previous stator or R/R problem could have caused cable insulation to overheat.
I had an F3 and the indicator wire touched the fork stanchion causing the tacho to die and a loss of power.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-06-2011, 9:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEM-954 View Post
An F4 is designed to run an F4 fan. It could be that the Fan motor is faulty, possibly causing an electrical short - if not the short could be caused else where starting from the fan motor switch wiring to the fan motor or from the fan motor wiring back through the live wire. The previous stator or R/R problem could have caused cable insulation to overheat.
I had an F3 and the indicator wire touched the fork stanchion causing the tacho to die and a loss of power.
I agree, an F4 is designed to run an F4 fan. However, I have a hunch that the F4I fan draws less power and produces the same amount of cooling.

I'm not the only person with F4 electrical caused stumbling problems. Have you heard of any F4I's having these same problems? I haven't. It may be possible that my F4 has a flaw; it is a 1999, the first year of it's kind.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-07-2011, 2:55 PM

Hi, I’m on a few CBR sites and never heard of any actual design faults with the FX electrical system (R/R faults are ‘common’ across other models and makes of bike & stator problems are quite rare.)
I have owned F1, F3 & F4. The F4 is the wifes’ and is the same as yours – 1999 FX model. We have owned it for 6 years and done over 22,000 miles on it (has over 35,000 on the clock.)
It is run with headlight on & has the original indicators with 23 watt bulbs and I fitted sound beepers to them, digi-gear, and heated grips. With all this operating there is no problem when the fan comes on at traffic lights.
I’m also adding mirror indicators (LED type) and putting 4 new ‘mini-indicators’ (21 watt bulbs) on this weekend; I will be taking off both lower cowls so let me know if you want me to check fan motor resistance while I can get at it.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-08-2011, 6:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply PEM. I would highly apreciate it if you could test the resistance across the cooling fan. When you test the resistance make sure you're not testing the fan switch in-line with the fan or you will get a huge resistance reading (an open switch), unless your bike is hot and the switch is closed.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-12-2011, 5:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEM-954 View Post
Hi, I’m on a few CBR sites and never heard of any actual design faults with the FX electrical system (R/R faults are ‘common’ across other models and makes of bike & stator problems are quite rare.)
I have owned F1, F3 & F4. The F4 is the wifes’ and is the same as yours – 1999 FX model. We have owned it for 6 years and done over 22,000 miles on it (has over 35,000 on the clock.)
It is run with headlight on & has the original indicators with 23 watt bulbs and I fitted sound beepers to them, digi-gear, and heated grips. With all this operating there is no problem when the fan comes on at traffic lights.
I’m also adding mirror indicators (LED type) and putting 4 new ‘mini-indicators’ (21 watt bulbs) on this weekend; I will be taking off both lower cowls so let me know if you want me to check fan motor resistance while I can get at it.
Have any luck testing the resistance?
post #11 of 16 Old 02-14-2011, 3:12 PM

Didn't get to the fan at the weekend. Fitted the new indicators by removing inner panels only. I will be doing new plugs and air filter in the next couple of weeks so will try to get at it then.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-23-2011, 2:08 PM Thread Starter

Case closed:
I replaced the R/R again with a computer fan attached, and the bike runs great in any condition. The replacement R/R I put on before was not properly installed, therefore it failed prematurely. The R/R must make contact with the subframe so it can disapate heat!
post #13 of 16 Old 11-13-2011, 4:08 PM

Hi pcicrich.

I have the same problem with my fx.
My english is littel and I not know when you say " I replaced the R/R again with a computer fan attached,"
Could you give me a more detailed explanation for my low level of English?
What is R / R? ¿Computer fan attached?
I would be very grateful
post #14 of 16 Old 11-15-2011, 4:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanator View Post
Hi pcicrich.

My english is littel and I not know when you say " I replaced the R/R again with a computer fan attached,"
I would be very grateful
I put a new regulator/rectifier on the cbr f4. I also put a computer fan or a 12 volt fan on the regulator/rectifier.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-15-2011, 4:59 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanator View Post
Hi pcicrich.

I would be very grateful

He means a computer case fan.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page