Bike won't start - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-05-2012, 8:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-05-2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Bike won't start

New guy here with a non starting bike...

I have a real weird one here. I am working on this bike for my neighbor it is a 2002 CBR600F4I. He bought it after it was laid down, but it ran. It sat for a long time in his shed and he has decided to get it going. I installed all new fairings on it last month and the bike was running, but had a MAP sensor code which I informed him about. He hasn't rode the bike at all and came over this morning to tell me the bike just turns over but won't start. So I pushed it into my garage and started checking it out. The battery was dead so I put a jump box on it. It fired up and I let it run for a few seconds, shut it off, and put a charger on it while I worked on some other stuff. After the battery showed full charge I tried to start it and it just turns over now and won't start. I pulled the plugs and they were fouled so I cleaned them and reinstalled. Still just turns over and ever once in a while it will burp like it tries to fire but won't. I verified it had spark, but didn't check them all just #4 and it is definitely firing. I guess I should check the rest, but I think whatever the issue is, is common to all cylinders b/c all the plugs looked the same. I even tried spraying a little starting fluid in each throttle body and it does nothing (I know this goes against the fouled plug find, but it still wouldn't start with them cleaned). I ran the codes by jumping the harness by the battery and the FI light blinks once pauses blinks twice pauses and then blinks 9 times. They all seem to be fast blinks. I also tried testing the BAC and it tests fine - I bypassed it just to make sure and no change. The only other thing I see is there is no vacuum line going to the MAP sensor and I don't see where the line should come from. I don't think this should prevent it from starting though, but probably was the cause of the fouled plugs I would think. I also hear the fuel pump prime each time the key is turned on. I worked on bikes for a living but don't really mess with sport bikes too much and this one has me scratching my knoggin. Any idea's????
Mr_Shamrock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-05-2012, 8:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-05-2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Bike won't start

Also I have checked all the fuses in the fuse panel by the battery and they are all good.
Mr_Shamrock is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-05-2012, 9:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-05-2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Bike won't start

OK I may have just found something. For some reason about the time I posted the last reply I thought to check the FPR and sure enough the vacuum line has gas in it and there is gas dripping out of the regulator itself from the vaccum port. I am not familiar with this system, but would this foul the plugs instantly like this. It seems like the bike would have started and then stalled as they fouled, but I could be wrong.
Mr_Shamrock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 01-05-2012, 9:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-05-2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Bike won't start

Can anyone tell me where the vacuum line for the MAP sensor originates?
Mr_Shamrock is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Bike won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock View Post
New guy here with a non starting bike...

I have a real weird one here. I am working on this bike for my neighbor it is a 2002 CBR600F4I. He bought it after it was laid down, but it ran. It sat for a long time in his shed and he has decided to get it going. I installed all new fairings on it last month and the bike was running, but had a MAP sensor code which I informed him about. He hasn't rode the bike at all and came over this morning to tell me the bike just turns over but won't start. So I pushed it into my garage and started checking it out. The battery was dead so I put a jump box on it. It fired up and I let it run for a few seconds, shut it off, and put a charger on it while I worked on some other stuff. After the battery showed full charge I tried to start it and it just turns over now and won't start. I pulled the plugs and they were fouled so I cleaned them and reinstalled. Still just turns over and ever once in a while it will burp like it tries to fire but won't. I verified it had spark, but didn't check them all just #4 and it is definitely firing. I guess I should check the rest, but I think whatever the issue is, is common to all cylinders b/c all the plugs looked the same. I even tried spraying a little starting fluid in each throttle body and it does nothing (I know this goes against the fouled plug find, but it still wouldn't start with them cleaned). I ran the codes by jumping the harness by the battery and the FI light blinks once pauses blinks twice pauses and then blinks 9 times. They all seem to be fast blinks. I also tried testing the BAC and it tests fine - I bypassed it just to make sure and no change. The only other thing I see is there is no vacuum line going to the MAP sensor and I don't see where the line should come from. I don't think this should prevent it from starting though, but probably was the cause of the fouled plugs I would think. I also hear the fuel pump prime each time the key is turned on. I worked on bikes for a living but don't really mess with sport bikes too much and this one has me scratching my knoggin. Any idea's????

My guess is the fuel pressure regulator diaphram has failed.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Bike won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock View Post
OK I may have just found something. For some reason about the time I posted the last reply I thought to check the FPR and sure enough the vacuum line has gas in it and there is gas dripping out of the regulator itself from the vaccum port. I am not familiar with this system, but would this foul the plugs instantly like this. It seems like the bike would have started and then stalled as they fouled, but I could be wrong.

Oops - I should've read further down :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-06-2012, 7:46 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-05-2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Bike won't start

Thanks for the reply I am going to get a new FPR in it and see what happens.
Mr_Shamrock is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 7:13 PM
 
Join Date: 01-25-2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Bike won't start

I have 600f4i 01, just got it several weeks ago. Ran fine, Garage Kept, got it from a Bike Mechanic. I never replaced plugs, or battery on it after I got it.
All of sudden one day it wouldn't fire up, (it's been garage kept)
it turns over but won't catch. so it sat for few days and all of a sudden one day
it fired up fine and did so again the next day. Then it went back to not firing up again! so it's been not firing up for over a week now. I put new gas in there, I just put a new battery in there and still same thing. I guess I should change the plugs....(never done that b4) but know i gotta remove tank and Air box, don't have the tools for it though but do not want to take it to expensive Dealership. Can I choke it? Where is it? I couldn't find a choke on it....
Thanks
crboddie is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 7:27 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Bike won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by crboddie View Post
I have 600f4i 01, just got it several weeks ago. Ran fine, Garage Kept, got it from a Bike Mechanic. I never replaced plugs, or battery on it after I got it.
All of sudden one day it wouldn't fire up, (it's been garage kept)
it turns over but won't catch. so it sat for few days and all of a sudden one day
it fired up fine and did so again the next day. Then it went back to not firing up again! so it's been not firing up for over a week now. I put new gas in there, I just put a new battery in there and still same thing. I guess I should change the plugs....(never done that b4) but know i gotta remove tank and Air box, don't have the tools for it though but do not want to take it to expensive Dealership. Can I choke it? Where is it? I couldn't find a choke on it....
Thanks

When you say "it won't catch" do you mean that it is firing but won't actually run?
If it's not firing at all, my first guess would be over-use of the kill switch - which any mechanic with a clue shouldn't be doing. Try bypassing it.
When you say it fired up a couple of times you rode it around with no problems?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 8:19 PM
 
Join Date: 01-25-2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Bike won't start

@Bladeracer, Thanks for responding,
I mean no it's not firing up, It tries. like a putter sound...
The pipe...kinda puffs a bit...then it gets weaker and weaker on 2nd and 3rd try
to by the time I try the 4th time it's just clicking....(like the battery is dead)
Which it's not because I just put in a new one 2 days ago. (which was already charged)
I also can't find the choke on it either. (01cbr F4)
I was thinking plugs..but I would have to remove the tank and air box for that..and don't have all the tools for it. A guy says he can put the plugs in for me...BUT I just don't want to pay him to do this and be right back where I started..when i put the new battery in. (still won't start) and if it's the plugs
Why did it not start for a few days..then all of sudden it started one night..on 1st try...and i ran it around the neighborhood few times then the next day back to not firing up. I don't know, I'm just trying to avoid! the Tow to the shop! Then a 80 dollar Diagnostic! and god knows how much in labor they will charge..(just for freaking plugs) Sounds like I may not be able to avoid any of this...
crboddie is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 8:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-05-2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Bike won't start

That is exactly what my neighbors bike was doing and it was the pressure regulator. It would start and run ok and then it wouldn't. Pull the plugs I bet they are fouled with gas. Also disconnect the vacuum line to the regulator and turn it over and see if gas comes out of the vacuum port.
Mr_Shamrock is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 9:19 PM
 
Join Date: 01-25-2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Bike won't start

@Shamrock,
thanks man
I'll my buddy give all those things a try.
crboddie is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Bike won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by crboddie View Post
@Bladeracer, Thanks for responding,
I mean no it's not firing up, It tries. like a putter sound...
The pipe...kinda puffs a bit...then it gets weaker and weaker on 2nd and 3rd try
to by the time I try the 4th time it's just clicking....(like the battery is dead)
Which it's not because I just put in a new one 2 days ago. (which was already charged)
I also can't find the choke on it either. (01cbr F4)
I was thinking plugs..but I would have to remove the tank and air box for that..and don't have all the tools for it. A guy says he can put the plugs in for me...BUT I just don't want to pay him to do this and be right back where I started..when i put the new battery in. (still won't start) and if it's the plugs
Why did it not start for a few days..then all of sudden it started one night..on 1st try...and i ran it around the neighborhood few times then the next day back to not firing up. I don't know, I'm just trying to avoid! the Tow to the shop! Then a 80 dollar Diagnostic! and god knows how much in labor they will charge..(just for freaking plugs) Sounds like I may not be able to avoid any of this...

Did you try charging the battery before you replaced it?
Have you checked the voltage across the battery to confirm the battery charged?
It doesn't have a choke, it's injected.
Did you try bypassing the kill switch already?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike will not Start quantel Honda FireBlade 2 03-19-2011 9:21 AM
bike will not start help alpinestarsrc51 Honda RC51 16 01-11-2009 6:39 AM
Bike won't start PanzerJack Honda RC51 13 10-31-2008 10:11 PM
Bike won't start. Please help! CBR f3 ssimon Honda CBR 600 4 04-05-2008 3:17 PM
Bike won't start Snapon11 Honda CBR 600 20 03-19-2008 11:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome