01 F4I delay/hesitation at low RPM's - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-23-2012, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

01 F4I delay/hesitation at low RPM's

Hello,

I own a 01 F4I it has an ecron slip-on, K&N air filter. Ever since I have owned it once it warms up 160+ it has this hesitation/delay that started out not going away until 3000 RPM. Well here lately it wonít go away until 5000 RPM. Now when I put a fuel additive like sea foam I donít have a problem until I run out of gas and as soon as I put new gas into it problem comes right back. I always run 91 octanes in it and it doesnít matter what gas station. I have tried all over my town and everywhere we ride with the exact same results unless I use fuel injector cleaner. I would have thought if it is dirty injectors eventually after gallons of the stuff it would clean them up.

What do you guys/gals think it might be? Im planning on tearing it down and changing plugs and somehow clean the injectors ( might need some help if possible). but is there anyone else out there with this problem. I am pretty mechanical person just never really messed with bikes. I have done a lot of research and read things like it getting to much fuel or the plugs might need to be changed. Could my problem be caused by having and exhaust and a K&N filter? I know that if she was carbureted it would need a jet kit but beings this is fuel injected which tells me I shouldnít have to mess with anything unless the computer is not smart enough to compensate for the changes which makes me wonder does it need a power commander? I plan on knocking out the obvious first but just wanting to see if there are anymore options.

Thanks!!

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-23-2012, 6:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: 01 F4I delay/hesitation at low RPM's

I don't have a F4i, but I'm a little familiar with Honda FI.
Do your obvious stuff like you said, I suggest setting the K&N's aside and use OEM air filter, change plugs. My next step would be to check the fuel pump regulator-FPR. Once the diaphragm inside it gets old, they fail, and leak gas from its vacuum line to one of the throttlebodys. Itíll give you all sorts of symptoms, including what you describe.
To check it, lift your tank, locate your FPR, and then pull the vacuum line off. Is there any sign of gas? Donít start-but turn the ignition key to get the pump to prime. Does it drip? It should be bone dry. If it looks like my last one did, then they're about $50 to replace.
I'd probably not use ANY more fuel additives.
Let us know what you find.
Attached Thumbnails
fuelPR1.jpg‎  
post #3 of 20 Old 01-23-2012, 7:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank ya sir, idk if it matters but i replaced oem with k&n with the same results but ill do what you sugest. I did read what u r talking about on another site but u put it in detail for me so ill be sure to check that out. im fairly mechanical but never really tinkered with a bike... Ill let u know, once again thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Alrighty man, pulled tank and the fpr is ok based from what u said. Well pulled the air box off and plugs. Yeah they are soaked with gas. Looking down the throats of the throttle body u can see major carbon build up on the butterflys and housing. Upon further research the valves have major build up as well.

Also found the vent hose was kinked in two spots anything major that could effect?

So i have gathered is she is runnin rich, now to figure out why?
post #5 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM

I had a pinched vent line on my gas tank too. It might put your fuel pump under extra load if the tank goes into a slight vacuum, but shouldn't cause rich burning... Could cause some starvation if the pump is weak... It's hard for me to know where else to go on this without being there and seeing your bike. Hopefully some others, like Bladeracer will be along

I'm not familiar with SeaFoam or the other injector cleaners you've been using. You mentions 'gallons of the stuff'; perhaps they're part of the problem, I just don't know. I'd be replacing the fuel filter: I think on your bike it's located next to the pump inside the tank.

My last thought is about your exhaust set-up. Did you mean micron? Does your bike have a power commander to adjust the fuel map for that aftermarket exhaust? I ask that because I've seen aftermarket exhaust have a noticeable effect on the how the engine runs. With the OEM fuel-map they can run rich or lean.

Reaching for straws here, but, your choke is all the way in right? (Technically not a choke on FI-but Honda calls it that)
post #6 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

I have an Erion slip on exhaust. I guess I spelled it wrong. I guess when I say gallons that is more of an exaggeration, I have probably ran 4 to 5 tanks of injector cleaner/fuel mixture according to what the bottle says.

When it comes to the fuel filter I seen that last night looking down there and i did have questions on it mainly how do you change that out and i can see a couple shiny flakes of it not attached to it.

No I do not have a power commander been praying I dont have to spend the $350 bucks to get one and hopefully this will be an easy fix! as for your question about the choke, I have no clue where it is and didnt know this thing had one beings it is fuel injection!
post #7 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Here's the shop manual for your bike. If you don't already have one. I believe it's section 3 that talks about general maintenence, and maybe you'll learn alot about your bike. I sure learned a lot about my RC51 when I went through that section.
Motorcycle Honda CBR600F4i Repair Manual Download

My choke is knob is just under frame (left side) right in front of your left thigh when you're sitting on the bike.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Awesome find man, shame it was not 492 pages so I could print it off and make a legit repair manual
post #9 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooterboy87 View Post
Awesome find man, shame it was not 492 pages so I could print it off and make a legit repair manual
I know what you mean. I just print out the sections that I need at the time. That way it's only about 20 -40 pages, instead of the whole burrito. Eventially I'll have the whole manual printed out.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 9:05 AM Thread Starter

Naww man you ride a Honda, you will never need the whole thing!!
post #11 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but it was indeed the fuel pressure regulator. Ifinally swapoed her out and she runs like a champ... Thanks for all the info!

FYI: I still have the k&n amd did the test and the test came back as being just fine. I took the risk and and threw a part at it and everything worked just fine!
post #12 of 20 Old 06-08-2012, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Hello,

I own a 01 F4I it has an ecron slip-on, K&N air filter. Ever since I have owned it once it warms up 160+ it has this hesitation/delay that started out not going away until 3000 RPM. Well here lately it wonít go away until 5000 RPM. Now when I put a fuel additive like sea foam I donít have a problem until I run out of gas and as soon as I put new gas into it problem comes right back. I always run 91 octanes in it and it doesnít matter what gas station. I have tried all over my town and everywhere we ride with the exact same results unless I use fuel injector cleaner. I would have thought if it is dirty injectors eventually after gallons of the stuff it would clean them up.

What do you guys/gals think it might be? Im planning on tearing it down and changing plugs and somehow clean the injectors ( might need some help if possible). but is there anyone else out there with this problem. I am pretty mechanical person just never really messed with bikes. I have done a lot of research and read things like it getting to much fuel or the plugs might need to be changed. Could my problem be caused by having and exhaust and a K&N filter? I know that if she was carbureted it would need a jet kit but beings this is fuel injected which tells me I shouldnít have to mess with anything unless the computer is not smart enough to compensate for the changes which makes me wonder does it need a power commander? I plan on knocking out the obvious first but just wanting to see if there are anymore options.

Thanks!!

Kyle
I know this sounds kinda stupid but I have had many fuel filters partially clogged which caused the same problems. It will let only a certain amount of fuel to flow and thats it. The sea foam possibly could be thinning the fuel or giving you better flow while being used. BTW I swear by sea foam, that stuff is super, good luck.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-08-2012, 9:20 AM Thread Starter

Squid trap:

Yes sir when I tore the gas tank apart during the painting proccess I put a new fuel filter and that other strainer looking thing down in there and it didnt help at all. Thanks for the reply though!
post #14 of 20 Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but it was indeed the fuel pressure regulator. Ifinally swapoed her out and she runs like a champ....
post #15 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 9:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah lets turn that thumb upside down. after about the first tank of gas the hesitation came right back. its not as bad but still is there. I personally just gave up and decided to just ride in the high rpms to over come it. This winter i may strip her down and replace plugs and stuff but untill then im not gonna worry about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page