F4 Head Racket - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

F4 Head Racket

I'm new to this site so give me a break. I have two CBR 600F4s. One was a primary bike and the other I used as a parts bike because it was wrecked. I stripped one of the spark plug threads on my primary bike, so I decided, instead of repairing the threads, to use the head from the wrecked bike and put everything back together. I now have a clanking sound coming from the head. It sounds like metal to metal. It makes the noise whether it's in gear or not, clutch in or out. When the motor is idling is sounds fine and runs smooth, but when I rev the engine, I hear the clanking noise.

I've opened the valve cover to check for loose parts, but no luck. In my manual, it says to align the crank shaft timing mark to the T but the manual diagram shows it past the T. I went by the diagram. Is anyone familiar with setting the timing on an F4?

Also, I know people have a lot of trouble with the CCT. I've tried using both of them and they seem fine. I've checked the timing chain guides. Oil levels are fine. I've manually turned the motor over with no abnormal resistance.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Could it be the valve clearance? It wasn't making this noise before I switched the heads. I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: F4 Head Racket

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimmer_b View Post
I'm new to this site so give me a break. I have two CBR 600F4s. One was a primary bike and the other I used as a parts bike because it was wrecked. I stripped one of the spark plug threads on my primary bike, so I decided, instead of repairing the threads, to use the head from the wrecked bike and put everything back together. I now have a clanking sound coming from the head. It sounds like metal to metal. It makes the noise whether it's in gear or not, clutch in or out. When the motor is idling is sounds fine and runs smooth, but when I rev the engine, I hear the clanking noise.

I've opened the valve cover to check for loose parts, but no luck. In my manual, it says to align the crank shaft timing mark to the T but the manual diagram shows it past the T. I went by the diagram. Is anyone familiar with setting the timing on an F4?

Also, I know people have a lot of trouble with the CCT. I've tried using both of them and they seem fine. I've checked the timing chain guides. Oil levels are fine. I've manually turned the motor over with no abnormal resistance.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Could it be the valve clearance? It wasn't making this noise before I switched the heads. I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

Put a probe down the spark plug hole of #1 cylinder and check the cam timing with the piston at TDC.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 02-21-2012, 2:49 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Send a message via Skype™ to 2WheelFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Put a probe down the spark plug hole of #1 cylinder and check the cam timing with the piston at TDC.

02 F4i track build-fully built motor, 600rr swinger and rear master, 1000rr front end and rear shock, akra full exh, pcIII and ign module, HRC radiator and quick throttle, brembo fr master and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-25-2012, 5:08 PM Thread Starter

i did that and it turned out to be 180 out on the wrong stroke. i think some valves got damage with the timing backwards. i might have to repair the plug wells on the other head after all....or maybe look into a new head
post #5 of 7 Old 02-25-2012, 6:25 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Send a message via Skype™ to 2WheelFury

Quote:
i did that and it turned out to be 180 out on the wrong stroke. i think some valves got damage with the timing backwards. i might have to repair the plug wells on the other head after all....or maybe look into a new head
if you decide to go after a new head let me know. i can find you one for pretty cheap. most of them are off of wrecked bikes and include everything needed for bolt up. good luck man and sorry to hear the bad news.

02 F4i track build-fully built motor, 600rr swinger and rear master, 1000rr front end and rear shock, akra full exh, pcIII and ign module, HRC radiator and quick throttle, brembo fr master and more
post #6 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:

Pull the valve cover and measure the valve clearances.
Any bent valves will have very wide clearances.
I would just Helicoil the plug threads on the original head.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2012, 7:20 PM Thread Starter

yeah i went ahead ant took the old head to the machine shop to be re-threaded. only costed me 40 bucks but now im afraid i might set the timing wrong again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Tags
cbr f4 , noise , timing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page