Small.. 1993 Cbr f2 problems? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-2012, 2:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Small.. 1993 Cbr f2 problems?

I recently bought a 93 f2, I put some work into it and my two middle plugs keep fouling. ( a white chaulky buildup) do I took my carbs off and my vacuum hoses are all in disorder, and missing The air vent control valve? Help please. Noob..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-2012, 6:28 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Small.. 1993 Cbr f2 problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcross45 View Post
I recently bought a 93 f2, I put some work into it and my two middle plugs keep fouling. ( a white chaulky buildup) do I took my carbs off and my vacuum hoses are all in disorder, and missing The air vent control valve? Help please. Noob..

White?
Is using coolant by chance?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 PM

I would check compression in those 2, actually if you're testing just test all four. Blade is right, white is usually coolant, how fast are they fouling? Are you leaking any fluids? Is there coolant in your oil? If there is coolant in your oil and you have bad or stuck rings the oil can slip past the piston and foul out the plugs, if there is coolant in the oil and it slips by the rings there will be a milky/crusty build up on your plugs and it will happen pretty fast, depending on how bad the rings are.

White - coolant
Black - brown and usually wet is oil. Either one is not good, but it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 8:20 AM

sorry to hi-jack the thread, but as far as rings and compression go my question is this:

If you have low compression and oily fouling on the plugs, then is the solution to simply install new rings? I'm thinking you would have to do new oversized pistons of 0.5mm overbore, no? to get compression back?

I have looked out of curiosity for 0.5mm oversized pistons as if someday I may rebuild my f4 motor. I have NOT been able to find a distributor, although I haven't performed an exhaustive search.

I thought that I have heard the cbr600 f4 sleeves are special lined or treated and can not be honed and over bored. Am I wrong?

Then again what kind of arse goes to the trouble of rebuilding a cbr600 motor right? Cheers!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 8:32 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
sorry to hi-jack the thread, but as far as rings and compression go my question is this:

If you have low compression and oily fouling on the plugs, then is the solution to simply install new rings? I'm thinking you would have to do new oversized pistons of 0.5mm overbore, no? to get compression back?

I have looked out of curiosity for 0.5mm oversized pistons as if someday I may rebuild my f4 motor. I have NOT been able to find a distributor, although I haven't performed an exhaustive search.

I thought that I have heard the cbr600 f4 sleeves are special lined or treated and can not be honed and over bored. Am I wrong?

Then again what kind of arse goes to the trouble of rebuilding a cbr600 motor right? Cheers!
The first thing to do is determine if the symptoms are due to worn rings or bores.
If the pistons and bores are not worn then you can simply fit new rings. If the bores are just slightly worn but not so far that you feel the need to bore it it's possible to use over-size rings and gap them to fit the bores. For the F4 it's about US$100 for a set of 0.25mm over rings. If you bore to 0.25mm over then you'd need another US$200 for the pistons.
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>2000>CBR600F4>CRANKSHAFT PISTON
I'm sure lots of piston manufacturers can supply aftermarket pistons if you want them.

Yes, the bores are aluminium with a chrome-like plating. US Chrome will bore and replate for around US$650.

Why wouldn't you rebuild a CBR600 engine?
An F4 must have been badly neglected to need rebuilding already though.
What are your compression readings?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 7:10 PM

on the vac lines #1 carb is to the petcock #2 has cap on it #3 #4 should have screws in them i had the same ? about my f2 #1 should be the only one hooked to anything the rest are just there to sync the carbs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page