CBR 600 f4 starting problems ! help! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-30-2012, 3:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR 600 f4 starting problems ! help!

I put a new frame on my 2000 CBR 600 f4, long story short, I can't get this thing to turn over, I've narrowed it down to what I believe to be the starter relay switch next to the battery or the battery being complete junk (although I purchased it last year). I have bypassed the kickstand sensor, and the tip sensor appears to be fine. When I put a charger on the battery everything will come on, I can hear the fuel pump prime, but when I flip my start switch the relay makes ONE loud clunk and stops. I bridged the connection on the relay and the starter cranks. I don't think while doing this I'm getting a spark at the plugs because it still wont start (Or it could be because the battery is bad so the fuel pump isn't working because it's electric?) HELP I'm going insane. I've been stubborn to try replacing the battery because I JUST got it. let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-30-2012, 4:50 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: CBR 600 f4 starting problems ! help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenscbr View Post
I put a new frame on my 2000 CBR 600 f4, long story short, I can't get this thing to turn over, I've narrowed it down to what I believe to be the starter relay switch next to the battery or the battery being complete junk (although I purchased it last year). I have bypassed the kickstand sensor, and the tip sensor appears to be fine. When I put a charger on the battery everything will come on, I can hear the fuel pump prime, but when I flip my start switch the relay makes ONE loud clunk and stops. I bridged the connection on the relay and the starter cranks. I don't think while doing this I'm getting a spark at the plugs because it still wont start (Or it could be because the battery is bad so the fuel pump isn't working because it's electric?) HELP I'm going insane. I've been stubborn to try replacing the battery because I JUST got it. let me know what you think.

How much voltage have you got at the battery terminals?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 16 Old 03-30-2012, 5:50 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a tester, but it's too low for sure. I'm going to replace it today, I'm going to assume when I do I will still have the same issue. So besides the battery what else could cause this be? Btw the fuse in the relay is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't have a tester, but it's too low for sure. I'm going to replace it today, I'm going to assume when I do I will still have the same issue. So besides the battery what else could cause this be? Btw the fuse in the relay is fine.

Charge it before you replace it. It may just be flat.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so an update. Battery is fine, just low on juice. Checked the for spark and we have spark from the plug connectors, cbr f4 doesn't seem to have a tip sensor. Fuel filter is fine, pump is fine. haven't changed plugs, that's my next step. Tried using starter fluid in the carbs still no fire. Any ideas?
post #6 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Alright, so an update. Battery is fine, just low on juice. Checked the for spark and we have spark from the plug connectors, cbr f4 doesn't seem to have a tip sensor. Fuel filter is fine, pump is fine. haven't changed plugs, that's my next step. Tried using starter fluid in the carbs still no fire. Any ideas?

Generally only injected bikes have bank angle sensors as the engine will keep running when the bike is on its side while the oil pump is not pumping oil.
Have you charged the battery?
Check the kill switch as well as a previous owner may have used it regularly.

Last edited by bladeracer; 03-31-2012 at 4:44 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 4:32 AM Thread Starter

The killswitch is cracked, however it's still workable. You can hear it make that thump noise when you switch it on and off. either way the switch still doesn't work =/ and I had a spare that I tried that I had bypassed the killswitch on and still nothing. a friend said maybe I should clean the carbs, but would that keep it from firing at all if they are dirty? I can't even get it to sputter. The battery is charged also. This is driving me nuts I've been waiting awhile to ride.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 4:36 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The killswitch is cracked, however it's still workable. You can hear it make that thump noise when you switch it on and off. either way the switch still doesn't work =/ and I had a spare that I tried that I had bypassed the killswitch on and still nothing. a friend said maybe I should clean the carbs, but would that keep it from firing at all if they are dirty? I can't even get it to sputter. The battery is charged also. This is driving me nuts I've been waiting awhile to ride.
It may work mechanically but is it working electrically?
Has the bike been sitting any length of time?
If the pilot circuits are blocked then it probably won't fire at all except on starter fluid. If it fires and runs on starter fluid then the carbs need disassembling and cleaning.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 4:41 AM Thread Starter

Yes it has been sitting for about 6 months. It will not run on starter fluid (I tried today). Everything SEEMS to be working fine electrically, all lights etc. sparks at plugs, besides the starter switch and the starter relay.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 4:45 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes it has been sitting for about 6 months. It will not run on starter fluid (I tried today). Everything SEEMS to be working fine electrically, all lights etc. sparks at plugs, besides the starter switch and the starter relay.

If it won't fire on starter fluid then you either have no spark or no compression.

post #11 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 4:51 AM Thread Starter

Maybe this information will help, When spraying in the starter fluid, my buddy pulled back the slide as I was cranking her over, an he said he could see the pistons moving. Also with even little compression it would still fire right? I only pulled the two spark plugs closest to the outside of the bike and ground them against the head. I got a small spark from each. even got a small shock from one.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 4:57 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe this information will help, When spraying in the starter fluid, my buddy pulled back the slide as I was cranking her over, an he said he could see the pistons moving. Also with even little compression it would still fire right? I only pulled the two spark plugs closest to the outside of the bike and ground them against the head. I got a small spark from each. even got a small shock from one.

He would not be able to see the pistons as the valves are in the way.
No, if the compression is too low it will not fire. The fuel won't burn unless it is vapourised.
When was the last time it ran?
Has anything been done to the engine since then?

post #13 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 5:02 AM Thread Starter

it ran 6 months ago, but some days it would run perfect others would seem doggish. An yes since I pulled it back out of storage I swapped the motor to a new frame, but was very careful to make sure everything is the same as it was. I've double and triple checked all the wiring, hoses and such.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 5:05 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
it ran 6 months ago, but some days it would run perfect others would seem doggish. An yes since I pulled it back out of storage I swapped the motor to a new frame, but was very careful to make sure everything is the same as it was. I've double and triple checked all the wiring, hoses and such.

But you were riding it regularly back then, not leaving it sitting all the time?

post #15 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 5:09 AM Thread Starter

2-3 times per week

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page