'93 F2 Mods - Phase 1 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 190 Old 04-05-2012, 4:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 33

'93 F2 Mods - Phase 1

So, this thread has been a long time coming, but I finally have some time to post the progress up until now, for those interested in seeing builds in progress - I know I dig following others' progress, so here goes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 190 Old 04-05-2012, 4:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: '93 F2 Mods - Phase 1

In the beginning...

...there is my F2 as it was when purchased - I actually got one of the best specimens one could find - the original owner bought it following a divorce, in his very late 40's - kind of a "mid-life-crisis-chick-magnet" attempt, I'm guessing.
He never rode it very hard, and being that it had around 4000 miles on the clock, a full 16 years later, he clearly didn't ride it all that much, either.
The bike was in full stock form, and maintained to the tee, with all service receipts available, as well as original dealer receipt, owner's manual, and service manual.
My boss at the time, bought it from him, and put about 300 miles on it, before I picked it up for $2300 - the boss I speak of, is a VERY conservative individual, who probably never took it over the speed limit.
The only issues it had, were the original tires, which are crap, and kind of "aged", and carb issues due to it sitting a very long time.

In my opinion, this was the sharpest, most "modern" and "timeless" color scheme they produced for the F2 - I'm not saying I don't like any of the others, I'm just saying this is definitely the one I would have picked, had I the option after viewing all possible schemes - positively a less "dated" look then some of the others, and in PERFECT condition
It's like it had just come out of the crate from the factory.
post #3 of 190 Old 04-05-2012, 4:28 PM Thread Starter

So, first thing's first, time to scrap the dry, old, second-rate rubber, and put on somethin sexier and stickier.

I know the Harbor Freight tire changer is lacking in features, but it has paid for itself many times over at this point, being that it was only $50 or $60 to begin with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 190 Old 04-05-2012, 4:47 PM Thread Starter

Here she is, shod with Dunlop Sportmax Q2's - the turn-in and cornering was absolutely transformed, and they didn't slip at moderate (let alone steep) lean angles, like with the hardened-with-age old hoops - not to mention, they look a lot better.

Much better.
post #5 of 190 Old 04-05-2012, 5:03 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSRacing View Post
So, this thread has been a long time coming, but I finally have some time to post the progress up until now, for those interested in seeing builds in progress - I know I dig following others' progress, so here goes...
That thing is pristine. Good find.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #6 of 190 Old 04-05-2012, 5:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks macca!

And...actually, it WAS pristine...now it's just pristine in a different way - stay tuned!!
post #7 of 190 Old 04-05-2012, 5:22 PM Thread Starter

Now it's time to start shaving weight, and making performance improvements.
I removed the annoying, and in my opinion, very unattractive tubing, that goes from the passenger foot peg bracket, and attatches to the subframe. It is NOT structural, it is just used for a cargo net, and for the helmet holder on the left side, neither of which I use.

Oh yeah, and it holds the rear reflectors, which I will be replacing later with a much better and more attractive alternative.

At this point, an oval carbon fiber Yoshimura RS-3 goes on as well.

post #8 of 190 Old 04-06-2012, 9:24 AM Thread Starter

After removing that rear bracket, I de-burred the cut area, used plumber's putty to fill the now semi-hollow space where the tubings joined, and repainted the part - it's not gorgeous, but it doesn't need to be, the passenger peg brackets are not going to be there all that long anyway.

Left side...

Right side...

Note that there are some decals on the bike at this point that maybe don't make too much sense right now - this is because I forgot to take some of the pics at the actual time of the change, and so I snapped them later - it will all make sense soon enough.
post #9 of 190 Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Next: time to remove that enormous ugly plastic fender apparatus, and put in a fender eliminator kit.

Removed the old fender unit, and added the small aluminum angle brackets for bolting the tail light assembly and small center fairing piece to.

Fender eliminator fully mocked up.

Though the fender eliminator kit is significantly smaller and more compact then the original unit, the fact that it involves more metal than plastic, means the weight loss was only about a half pound, but the Yoshimura exhaust saved a little over 5 pounds.
post #10 of 190 Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Now this is where things go a little South...
I'm riding on a moderately twisty street in my city, and while beginning to round a kind of tight, decreasing radius bend, some @$$clown in a big old Suburban, with dark tinted windows and music blaring, changes lanes into me as I'm passing him - no signal, of course - and pushes me wide while forcing me to brake and stand the bike up a little.
Now, if it wasn't post-winter, where there is still sand in the gutters, and a foot or so out into the lane, I probably would have squeaked around him just fine, but once my front tire hit the sand, I lost the front and low-sided, sliding along in the sandy gutter.
The douchebag did not stop - I doubt he was attentive enough to even notice what he had done.
With armored mesh jacket, AlpineStars leather gloves with a significant gauntlet, Verge street boots with hard sliders on the side, and of course, my helmet, I was mostly fine, but did lose a good patch of flesh on my left outer calf and knee.
Now, being who I am, and being obsessed about my bike, I went from sliding behind the bike in the gutter, to rushing up to it to check the extent of the damage, meanwhile my shredded jeans and very bloody left leg would have to wait.
post #11 of 190 Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I WAS relieved that I didn't go down on the right side, and damage the practically brand new exhaust, but I was ticked off, nonetheless, being that this bike was pretty much perfect, and now I had fairing damage.
It really wasn't super bad - the truth is, if you were 20 - 25 ft away from the bike, it was almost unrecognizeable - the stator cover was intact, but it was significantly rashed.
After examining the damage, I got on to ride it home (I was only about a mile and a half from home), and realized, as the rushing air begin to hit my open wounds on my left leg, that IT FRIGGING HURT!!!
My girlfriend flipped when she saw me walk in the door.
I went through a lot of bandages and ointments in the next couple of months, but all healed fine, and now it was time to use this as an excuse for more work on the bike!

Last edited by JNSRacing; 04-06-2012 at 3:20 PM.
post #12 of 190 Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

So the fairings were not totally destroyed, but, the bottom line is this: for them to be completely restored to perfect, it would require some plastic repair, entirely new paint on some pieces, and several replacement factory decals - whichy are VERY expensive, almost rivalling the cost of the fairings themselves.
Now, I still have these fairings, and one day I just might restore them to perfect, with new paint and brand new decals, but at this time I chose to replace the fairings with a kit - I found a style that I REALLY liked, from Hong Kong, which was right at $500 shipped, and had a paint scheme that has modernized the look of the bike quite a bit - I'll have a LOT more to say about those fairings soon.
I actually received the kit, at my door, in less than three weeks from the time of my order, which quite surprised me.
They looked magnificent, but I learned very quickly that the paint job could use several more coats of clear - the pieces have to be handled very carefully, as they mark really easy - I really should have had the whole kit clear-coated more before installation, but I wanted to limit the additional time and money spent on the fairings, since the kit is so cheap - I kind of look at them as somewhat "disposable".
I also learned that the fitment is poor to fair in some spots, fair to good in others, and very good in very few spots - also, what little hardware they sent, was not useable - I had to cut the rivets to remove the quick-turn connectors, where the inspection panel installs on the side farings, and drill holes and rivet these bits onto the new fairings, and then carefully remove the quick-turn screws from the old inspection panels, and install them on the new ones.
The screws they sent to secure the front/inner fairing bits to the main side fairings were too small for the threads, which sucks big time, being that those threads in the plastic are cut as metric sheet metal screw threads, and screws that match that are very hard to find in US hardware stores, for some reason.
More on all the fairing issues later.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 04-06-2012 at 3:44 PM.
post #13 of 190 Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

One thing I neglected to mention at the beginning, is that the bike uses a very, very, very, little bit of oil - the original owner relayed this to the second owner (my boss at the time), who relayed to me that it needed about a half a quart added every couple of months - the original owner thought it was burning oil.
Well, it was! But not in the cylinders, it was leaking from somewhere and getting on the headers, and burning there, as well as making a mess inside the fairings that you couldn't really see.
I wasn't really HAPPY about the bike using oil, though it was using very little, and wasn't a deal-breaker at all - but I was thrilled to know that it was not an internal issue, and the problem was solved for about $10.
So, the bike is mostly stripped down, for installation of the new fairings and heavy-duty stator cover, and I removed the fuel tank and some dust covers, using a fuel supply hanging from my garage joists so that I could run the motor and scour for the oil leak.
I don't know what service would have taken place in under 4000 miles, that would have required someone to remove the cylinder head cover, but I discovered after the enging heated up, and oil pressure rose, that there was the tiniest bit of oil coming from under one of the cylinder head cover bolts - some idiot had failed to replace the rubber-coated metal seal washer under that bolt.
When the fan kicked on, it sucked the oil forward, and down the front of the motor and headers - but like I said, $10 and a little work - no big deal.

In this picture, you can see the oily headers, and the oily grime on the leading edge of the front-most engine cradle portion of the frame - also visible, is the new NRC engine cover.

At least the oil on the headers helps to prevent rust, right?!?

Last edited by JNSRacing; 04-06-2012 at 4:03 PM.
post #14 of 190 Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Here's a shot of the now squeaky-clean motor, as well as a better look at the new engine cover.

post #15 of 190 Old 04-06-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

The replacement of the brake resevoir cap was just for a little bit of "bling" factor (it actually was a few grams heavier than the original unit), but the braided stainless steel brake lines were for form AND function.

Reflectors go bye-bye - another look at the new brake lines.

Here's another shot of the braided lines, along with the new fender, Dunlop decals, and the red reflective rim strip that replaces the plastic reflectors, and gives it a more racy look.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 04-06-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page