95 cbr f3 Engine problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

95 cbr f3 Engine problem

Hey I'm pretty new to riding. Have had a 1995 honda cbr600 f3 for about 3 months now, with 45k miles on it. I am having two problems with it, one starting after it got out of the shop. It was in the shop for a carb cleaning and service. The mechanic installed a second fuel filter in between the tanks and carbs. Since then, it has difficulty starting. I have to give it gas in order for it to start and was wondering if the fuel filter could cause that, seeing as there are two filters on the bike. Secondly, the top speed is supposed to be around 150. I can only get it to about 110, and thats top gear 12.5k rpm. The engine just seems to be weak for a 600.... Anyone know what could cause this weakness? Its rather disappointing. Other than that it runs and idles great. Any helpful info will be greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 95 cbr f3 Engine problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistaWrist View Post
Hey I'm pretty new to riding. Have had a 1995 honda cbr600 f3 for about 3 months now, with 45k miles on it. I am having two problems with it, one starting after it got out of the shop. It was in the shop for a carb cleaning and service. The mechanic installed a second fuel filter in between the tanks and carbs. Since then, it has difficulty starting. I have to give it gas in order for it to start and was wondering if the fuel filter could cause that, seeing as there are two filters on the bike. Secondly, the top speed is supposed to be around 150. I can only get it to about 110, and thats top gear 12.5k rpm. The engine just seems to be weak for a 600.... Anyone know what could cause this weakness? Its rather disappointing. Other than that it runs and idles great. Any helpful info will be greatly appreciate it.

Maybe the filter is backwards or blocked.
Either the gearing is very low or your clutch is slipping - or your speedo is wrong.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Either the gearing is very low or your clutch is slipping - or your speedo is wrong.
A big on that! If you're at 12,500 in top gear, you should be at 140mph +, give or take....do you have a VERY large rear sprocket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 5:46 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

I believe I have a 48T rear srpocket.. not sure about the front.. What is the optimum gearing for this bike? Im not looking for stunt, Im looking for top speed. As of now i can do power wheelies in first at around 8k rpm so Im thinking the gearing is for stunting. My speedometer reads about 65 going next to a person on the interstate, so its not off by very much, at least at lower speeds. If it is the gearing.... what sizes should i get? Also the acceleration from 95 to 110 takes an entire powerband from 9k rpm to 13.5k so i know something is up..
post #5 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 5:55 PM

Reputation Power: 33

A 48-tooth in the rear is not so big that it would keep you from higher speeds than 110, I wouldn't think - though, you haven't reported on your front sprocket, bearing in mind that dropping a tooth in the front is equivalent to +2 or 3 in the rear, roughly - do you know what your front sprocket tooth count is?
I'm still leaning toward Blade's suggestion of a faulty speedo or that your clutch is slipping, but you ought to be able to spot such a thing.
Speaking of the speedo, since the speedo on an F3 is driven from the front sprocket, changes in size would definitely skew your readings - you might look into that as well - that's one of the things I love about the F2, the speedo is driven from the front wheel, so changes in gearing don't have any affect on readings
post #6 of 6 Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistaWrist View Post
I believe I have a 48T rear srpocket.. not sure about the front.. What is the optimum gearing for this bike? Im not looking for stunt, Im looking for top speed. As of now i can do power wheelies in first at around 8k rpm so Im thinking the gearing is for stunting. My speedometer reads about 65 going next to a person on the interstate, so its not off by very much, at least at lower speeds. If it is the gearing.... what sizes should i get? Also the acceleration from 95 to 110 takes an entire powerband from 9k rpm to 13.5k so i know something is up..

Stock gearing should give you the maximum top speed although you can usually go down a little with no loss of speed.
Is that acceleration in fourth or sixth gear?
4500rpm for 15mph is definately not right so you need to check your clutch. Is the cable properly adjusted?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page