96 Cbr 600f3 No start!!!! please help!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 9:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

96 Cbr 600f3 No start!!!! please help!!

Alright guy's I'm having alot of headache and trouble here. So here's the story. One of my good buddys just bought the bike about 4 months ago. It was cold when he got it so he would go out every few days and start the bike and let it run and get to full operation temperature. He let the bike sit for about 2 weeks once before starting it again. When he went out to start it again the bike would not start up. It would crank and act like it wants to start up and would never fully fire. So i went and looked at it and it had cheap autolite plugs in it. I suggested new ngk plugs. We put them in and still the same thing as before, cranks but no start. After the we drained all the old gas from the tank that had been sitting awhile and added new gas to it. STILL same thing is happening cranks but still no start. Finally i get the bike to my house and i get the carbs pulled off the bike and clean them and get the carbs put back on and it is still doing the same thing the bike will crank and crank and crank but will not start no matter what. I have pulled all 4 plugs and checked for spark and they all have a nice spark to them and the plugs are wet and smell like gas when i pull them out. I am so confused and stumped right now. Have any of you guys ran into a problem like this before? Also i have unhooked the line comeing out of the fuel pump and hit the start button and gas does come out of it as im cranking the bike. I'm thinking a bad ground wire somewhere or something, but just wanting to get other peoples opinions as well. Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 6:54 PM

Re: 96 Cbr 600f3 No start!!!! please help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjohnston19 View Post
Alright guy's I'm having alot of headache and trouble here. So here's the story. One of my good buddys just bought the bike about 4 months ago. It was cold when he got it so he would go out every few days and start the bike and let it run and get to full operation temperature. He let the bike sit for about 2 weeks once before starting it again. When he went out to start it again the bike would not start up. It would crank and act like it wants to start up and would never fully fire. So i went and looked at it and it had cheap autolite plugs in it. I suggested new ngk plugs. We put them in and still the same thing as before, cranks but no start. After the we drained all the old gas from the tank that had been sitting awhile and added new gas to it. STILL same thing is happening cranks but still no start. Finally i get the bike to my house and i get the carbs pulled off the bike and clean them and get the carbs put back on and it is still doing the same thing the bike will crank and crank and crank but will not start no matter what. I have pulled all 4 plugs and checked for spark and they all have a nice spark to them and the plugs are wet and smell like gas when i pull them out. I am so confused and stumped right now. Have any of you guys ran into a problem like this before? Also i have unhooked the line comeing out of the fuel pump and hit the start button and gas does come out of it as im cranking the bike. I'm thinking a bad ground wire somewhere or something, but just wanting to get other peoples opinions as well. Thanks guys!!
Have you tested the battery ?
Is it getting spark (coils)?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 8:20 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Send a message via Skype™ to 2WheelFury

Quote:
Test out the battery first. sounds like that is the issue. if not the issue try checking to see if you are getting spark at the plugs. Is the fuel pump relay clicking when u try to fire it up?

02 F4i track build-fully built motor, 600rr swinger and rear master, 1000rr front end and rear shock, akra full exh, pcIII and ign module, HRC radiator and quick throttle, brembo fr master and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2012, 9:26 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys i tried testing the battery it was good. then i tested for spark, it was also good. Fuel pump was working properly, and it had compression. I gave up on this bike and my buddy took it to our local dealer and they coudldnt even figure the bike out. It just completly blows my mind that the bike randomly quit working and it is coming to all of this. The dealer is saying it's either in the top end of the motor or the flywheel is bad, but it just sounds like those are completly random guesses to me. I mean this bike has all componets to fire. Spark, Compression, and Fuel it's just not starting and it has racked my brain way to much lol. I work 2 jobs about 16 hours a day and dont have time for something like that right now i just have no idea what it could be.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Hey guys i tried testing the battery it was good. then i tested for spark, it was also good. Fuel pump was working properly, and it had compression. I gave up on this bike and my buddy took it to our local dealer and they coudldnt even figure the bike out. It just completly blows my mind that the bike randomly quit working and it is coming to all of this. The dealer is saying it's either in the top end of the motor or the flywheel is bad, but it just sounds like those are completly random guesses to me. I mean this bike has all componets to fire. Spark, Compression, and Fuel it's just not starting and it has racked my brain way to much lol. I work 2 jobs about 16 hours a day and dont have time for something like that right now i just have no idea what it could be.
If you put your hand over each carburetor while cranking does the engine suck against your hand?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 11:16 AM

The subject of the choke circuit has not been touched yet - which richens the mixture significantly when engaged.
Did you test to see if moving the choke lever forward and back, actually opens and closes the choke circuit at the carbs? Are you starting it with or without the choke engaged? You did mention the plugs were wet with fuel - is there a heavy fuel smell at the exhaust when you attempt to start it?
I would identify whether or not the choke lever is actually working properly, so that you KNOW for sure whether or not it is engaged when you try to start - the choke may be engaged all the time and you may be just flooding it every time - when you pulled the carbs, did you verify the floats could move freely, and not maybe get stuck? This can add "fuel to the (no) fire", so to speak.
Also, before the first time it wouldn't start, had anybody disconnected any of the plug wires, at the plugs OR at the coils? If these are not corrected right, you will get spark, but not at the right times .

After it has been sitting for a while, long enough for some fuel to evaporate, in the event that it might have been flooded, I would hold your throttle wide open with the choke disengaged (lever toward the front of the bike) and try to crank it over for a bit, not re-twisting the throttle, but keeping it wide open during the whole attempt. This will help it to start if it is flooded.
If that doesn't work, wait a bit, and then (mind you, all this depends on knowing if the choke lever is doing it's job) try to start it with no throttle, and the choke fully engaged (lever toward the rider), and see which one of these methods gets more "catches" - that might narrow down if you're getting too much fuel, or not enough fuel.

One last thing, and this is just a shot in the dark, but, since we don't know your knowledge and skill level with regards to carburetion - when you cleand the carbs, did you remove the mixture screw for the pilot circuit? And, if you did, did you screw them all the way in and leave 'em that way, or did you then back them out 2 - 3 turns? Don't be offended by this question, like I said, we have no idea what you do or do not know about carburetion.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
post #7 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 4:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSRacing View Post
The subject of the choke circuit has not been touched yet - which richens the mixture significantly when engaged.
Did you test to see if moving the choke lever forward and back, actually opens and closes the choke circuit at the carbs? Are you starting it with or without the choke engaged? You did mention the plugs were wet with fuel - is there a heavy fuel smell at the exhaust when you attempt to start it?
I would identify whether or not the choke lever is actually working properly, so that you KNOW for sure whether or not it is engaged when you try to start - the choke may be engaged all the time and you may be just flooding it every time - when you pulled the carbs, did you verify the floats could move freely, and not maybe get stuck? This can add "fuel to the (no) fire", so to speak.
Also, before the first time it wouldn't start, had anybody disconnected any of the plug wires, at the plugs OR at the coils? If these are not corrected right, you will get spark, but not at the right times .

After it has been sitting for a while, long enough for some fuel to evaporate, in the event that it might have been flooded, I would hold your throttle wide open with the choke disengaged (lever toward the front of the bike) and try to crank it over for a bit, not re-twisting the throttle, but keeping it wide open during the whole attempt. This will help it to start if it is flooded.
If that doesn't work, wait a bit, and then (mind you, all this depends on knowing if the choke lever is doing it's job) try to start it with no throttle, and the choke fully engaged (lever toward the rider), and see which one of these methods gets more "catches" - that might narrow down if you're getting too much fuel, or not enough fuel.

One last thing, and this is just a shot in the dark, but, since we don't know your knowledge and skill level with regards to carburetion - when you cleand the carbs, did you remove the mixture screw for the pilot circuit? And, if you did, did you screw them all the way in and leave 'em that way, or did you then back them out 2 - 3 turns? Don't be offended by this question, like I said, we have no idea what you do or do not know about carburetion.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
Yes i actually did check while i had the tank and air box off to see if the choke was working properly and at first it was sticking and i had gotten that adjusted and it was sliding as it should and it still wouldn't fire. I'm an auto mechanic full time, and a go kart mechanic part time in the evenings. I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable about engines, but i will be the first to admit that bikes are not my strong point. The way i look at it though is it's and internal combustion engine. As they are very different they are also very similar as well in my eyes. I do all my own work on both of my bikes. But my buddy actually just got rid of the bike yesterday he traded it for a pretty nice car, so he actually doesn't have the bike anymore. Thanks a lot for all the help though.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 4:30 PM

Quote:
...But my buddy actually just got rid of the bike yesterday he traded it for a pretty nice car, so he actually doesn't have the bike anymore. Thanks a lot for all the help though.
Now that's how you solve a problem, you give it to someone else!!
post #9 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 4:32 PM

Quote:
agreed. let it be someone else's headache.

02 F4i track build-fully built motor, 600rr swinger and rear master, 1000rr front end and rear shock, akra full exh, pcIII and ign module, HRC radiator and quick throttle, brembo fr master and more
post #10 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 4:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey the guy came to him asking him to trade and my buddy was completely 100% honest with the guy. Told him exactly what happened, and what he has done and the guy still wanted the bike. His headache now not mine lol
post #11 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Hey the guy came to him asking him to trade and my buddy was completely 100% honest with the guy. Told him exactly what happened, and what he has done and the guy still wanted the bike. His headache now not mine lol
Yeah that's definitely a good way of looking at it. honesty is key and whatever happens after that is up to the new owner. He was aware of the issue(s) at hand so it's all on him now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page