Going aways for a month - how do i prepare my 400RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR400RR Discuss the Honda CBR400RR in this section. This part of fireblades also covers the Honda CBR 250 and CBR 125.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 2 Post By machinehead
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 1 Post By machinehead

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-08-2019, 7:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Going aways for a month - how do i prepare my 400RR

Hi All,

I'm new here but have been reading posts, recently (yesterday) purchased an NC23. It was a barn find, has had its carbs cleaned and is running very well at the moment. It has approx 600km since it was cleaned.

I am leaving for a holiday soon, i will be gone about 21 days. I want to make sure the bike is in running order when i get back.
Am i being too cautious here, will the bike be okay after 21 days of not running.
Not sure if i made a bad decision to buy it haha.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-08-2019, 8:38 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: Going aways for a month - how do i prepare my 400RR

21 days is not much at all - depending upon climatic conditions. Will bike be inside or outside?

Best advice is to put required amount (about 10 ml per tank) of Fuel Stabiliser into tank. Give bike a short run to make sure it runs through hoses and carbs. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-Stabi.../dp/B00G8MCVBA

Also on this topic is the recommendation to use 'Ethanol Free' fuels (usually marketed as 'Premium') because it is the ethanol that causes deterioration to the rubber 'O' rings etc in the tank and carbs.

If you do not have a battery tender of the 'Oximiser' type, disconnect battery.

I you do indeed regret your buying decision, I could well be a candidate for taking it off your hands - if you're UK based.
Attached Thumbnails
Stabiliser.jpg‎  
barr likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Garage

3 week - you could keep the battery on an optimiser charger, but that short a time there is no point to be honest. parking it up for 3-month it might be worth using a fuel stabilising product. Not knowing where in the world you are based, there may be weather related things like ensuring the antifreeze is ok if its going to get real cold.
chuckhunter and barr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 2:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
21 days is not much at all - depending upon climatic conditions. Will bike be inside or outside?

Best advice is to put required amount (about 10 ml per tank) of Fuel Stabiliser into tank. Give bike a short run to make sure it runs through hoses and carbs. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-Stabi.../dp/B00G8MCVBA

Also on this topic is the recommendation to use 'Ethanol Free' fuels (usually marketed as 'Premium') because it is the ethanol that causes deterioration to the rubber 'O' rings etc in the tank and carbs.

If you do not have a battery tender of the 'Oximiser' type, disconnect battery.

I you do indeed regret your buying decision, I could well be a candidate for taking it off your hands - if you're UK based.

Bike will be stored inside (like all bikes deserve ;( ).
I appreciate 21 days isn't long but just got it back up and running don't want anything to go bad!

I'm in NZ unfortunatley or i would take you up on your offer. Im asking for $3K NZ which is just under 1.5k GBP, not sure what the market is like there, but its horrible here - no LAMS bike sells for under 5k and the bigger bikes (like mine) require a lot of work if you want to get them up and running.

Climate here - Summer, blistering heat incoming! So i guess that works in my favour, but i ride all year round

Thanks for the comprehensive response, really appreciate it!
post #5 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 2:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
3 week - you could keep the battery on an optimiser charger, but that short a time there is no point to be honest. parking it up for 3-month it might be worth using a fuel stabilising product. Not knowing where in the world you are based, there may be weather related things like ensuring the antifreeze is ok if its going to get real cold.

I forget how hard you guys in the UK have it, here its fairly warm all year round compared to you!

Thanks for the heads up on the battery, its a brand new one so i guess 21 days should be fine
post #6 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 4:44 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barr View Post
Bike will be stored inside (like all bikes deserve ;( ).
Totally agree, and I religiously comply - pending further impulsive purchases!

Quote:
Im asking for $3K NZ which is just under 1.5k GBP, not sure what the market is like there
400s have quite a following here. Whether it be CBR, VFR, or RVF, all seem quick to sell whether as a good runner or a project. I VFR I recently looked at (fair condition) sold for £1197, but the mean average would be around the £2200 mark.

I am fortunate to have one of Honda's more revered 400s:
Attached Thumbnails
191104 1.jpg‎   191104 3.jpg‎   191104 5.jpg‎  
IanDoohan likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 5:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Totally agree, and I religiously comply - pending further impulsive purchases!

400s have quite a following here. Whether it be CBR, VFR, or RVF, all seem quick to sell whether as a good runner or a project. I VFR I recently looked at (fair condition) sold for £1197, but the mean average would be around the £2200 mark.

I am fortunate to have one of Honda's more revered 400s:

Argh! So mint! Did you have to do it yourself or did you find such an example in a barn
post #8 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 5:20 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Argh! So mint! Did you have to do it yourself or did you find such an example in a barn
Barn finds are a sore point with me. We have an 'importer' who lists nearly every bike over ten-years-old as a 'barn find'. In the main, they are Japanese imports, presumably after our Japanese friends have taken them to within days of death. The upshot is that I firmly believe there are more barns in Japan than friggin' houses!!

I did get the NS in good condition. Didn't take much with polish and metal cleaners (Autosol) to bring it up to scratch. It doesn't do many miles, but all good two-strokes, is fun when I take it out.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 2:24 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

If I’m away for a couple of weeks, I disconnect and remove the battery.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 7:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies, i will be taking on all your advice if i ever need to store it for a while longer.
For this bit of storage, i will remove the battery and then when im back pop it in and go for a ride!
post #11 of 13 Old 12-10-2019, 4:18 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

I’m not convinced about Optimates. Prolonged use seems to knacker the battery, I’m sure it’s the short bursts of charge which decrease the battery life. I’ve just had to buy yet another battery for my bike which should have lasted longer than 18 months.

This time I am going to remove it over winter and like you just charge it and refit before I go out for a ride.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-10-2019, 4:38 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Iím not convinced about Optimates. . .
Ha, well here's a response form the Optimate King!!

I have 6 of them on the go for 'normal' batteries, PLUS 1 Lithium version for my 2018 Blade.

Many of my bikes don't get a run for stretches of up to 3 months, but when taken off charge I have no probs with starting and no probs with subsequent starts when off-tender.

Save for the drain on the National Power Grid, I think these little units are the greatest things ever. Never heard of anything against Optimates (and similar) on any other forum of which I'm a member.

I wonder if you might have had a 'dud' battery to start with?
machinehead likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Garage

I'm with the other Nigel (NigelRB) on this and do like the Optimate. I've an old unit but seems to work great. My bike is generally off the road Dec/Jan/Feb and I keep it on the Optimate.

The current battery now is 4yr 9mths old.

I always buy good batteries, namely Yuassa - you gets what you pay for sometimes!
nigelrb likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR400RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page