Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

CBR400 section goes live!

9K views 68 replies 8 participants last post by  Surffrog 
#1 ·
By popular request we have a section for the CBR400. If anyone wants to put up their hands to keep an eye on this section just let us know.

#8 ·
So we're now officially a team :thumb:

Well, for the first related posting on the CBR400. I've got to pop out now and buy a long, thin posi drive screwdriver. Why? I hear you ask. Because three out of four plugs are currently running an unpleasant white colour, which means it's time to get my hards dirty.

The long screwdriver's necessary to get to no.s 2 and 3 carb inlet rubbers. To try and adjust the pilot screw settings without taking the carbs off is a bit like p*ssing in the wind otherwise. It's a PITA but unless you have incredibly small hands, it's the only way.

I'll report back later. See ya all

#14 ·
So we're now officially a team :thumb:

Well, for the first related posting on the CBR400. I've got to pop out now and buy a long, thin posi drive screwdriver. Why? I hear you ask. Because three out of four plugs are currently running an unpleasant white colour, which means it's time to get my hards dirty.

The long screwdriver's necessary to get to no.s 2 and 3 carb inlet rubbers. To try and adjust the pilot screw settings without taking the carbs off is a bit like p*ssing in the wind otherwise. It's a PITA but unless you have incredibly small hands, it's the only way.

I'll report back later. See ya all
Its things like that which make me glad I'm a girl with little hands :smilebig:

#16 ·
Well, we originally posted 400 related stuff in the general discussions section. Then, slowly but surely more CBR400 owners started to arrive. I personally think they should use that time honoured tradition to build their section too. That said, I don't think I'm going to get too anal if they decide to call us home. Twin, what's your thoughts?

Btw, I still haven't seen any CBR125s. Do they really exist?

#32 ·
Im surprised you never went for the Direct Access (DAS) test, but when my son turns 17 he will be doing the same test as you, and like yourself probably buying a Honda (Either a 125 or a 400 with a 33BHP restrictor kit)

The gravity fed way of eliminating the fuel pump is becoming common now, how does it hold up when riding at high revs? Im just thinking whether a vacuum is formed as you ride pulling the fuel through quicker? Or does it just flow when ever it wants?

#33 ·
I did do direct access last May, but found the weight of the 500cc bike too much for me on only my 2nd day of riding a bike.. I couldnt get to grips with the weight that fast and had no confidence in my ability to ride it.. I was terrified I was going to drop it and that knocked the little bit of confidance I had gained the previous day on the 125cc out of me.. So I went sensible and decided to go the 125 test route and be restricted for 2 years.. I dont mind as at least I passed my test and can still ride a bigger bike....

I have no idea how my Blade is going to be at high revs.. I only took the fuel pump out on Sunday and apart from riding round the block a few times on Sunday I have not ridden her any distance... The MOT ran out on Sunday and I have not been able to ride her until today once she had her new MOT..

I suppose the test will be how she manages when I ride her out to work for the 1st time.. possibly tomorrow or Saturday...

I'm absolutely gagging to ride her but need him indoors to be at home just in case she stops on me so he can come and rescue me!!!!!

#36 ·
I have no idea how my Blade is going to be at high revs.. I only took the fuel pump out on Sunday and apart from riding round the block a few times on Sunday I have not ridden her any distance... The MOT ran out on Sunday and I have not been able to ride her until today once she had her new MOT..

I suppose the test will be how she manages when I ride her out to work for the 1st time.. possibly tomorrow or Saturday...

I'm absolutely gagging to ride her but need him indoors to be at home just in case she stops on me so he can come and rescue me!!!!!
So, what's wrong with the fuel pump? I'm guessing it needs something more than just a quick rap with a hammer? They're pretty simple beasts though and a lot of the time they can be coaxed back into life with a good clean and blow through with compressed air.

Even though it runs without it, I personally wouldn't feel too comfortable knowing there's the possibility of flooding. That said, as long as you've got your knight in shining white armour (or whatever colour his leathers are) lying in wait to rescue you from the Demons of Poor Reliability and sweep you (once more) off your feet, then all should be well.

#41 ·
Hello! iv had such a laugh reading your posts! First day of being a member and I'm a complete and utter novice. I'm *extremely* interested in buying a bike as I dont have one yet. I've wanted one for years but never had the capital but now im all big and grown up I do! :smilebig: So I've been researching for a long while and have decided on a cbr 400 for my first bike. My only worry was would it be suitable. To be honest I've no interest in a 125 and only moderately in a 250. Heard the 400 has a low seat and would be suitable for a novice like me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Also, im a lady :D

#46 ·
Hiya.. and :welcome: to the forum.......

The CBR400 is perfect for us girlies (and those who are new to biking and short people!!!).. I spent time deciding which bike I wanted as well, height and weight were things I had to consider as well as fact that I'm new to bike riding.. I'm only 5'4" and under 8 stone and can manage her perfectly... the seat height is low enough for me to put both feet flat on the floor, the power is perfect for a new rider and very easy to control as Surffrog said.. the shorter length and lower center of gravity makes for nice cornering.. accelleration is good :evilaugh: as I found out on my way home yesterday..

Parts are fairly easy to come by, I have found a firm in the UK which does practically everything for Evie, they may have to order things in sometimes as they dont carry them as normal stock but they are still available.. Plus there is always ebay and I have found a breakers which does parts at VERY reasonable prices (I got original airducts, in silver just as I wanted for £10 :smilebig: )

When you go looking at bikes take someone with you who knows a bit about bikes, your dad sound like he might be a good bet, to give it a good look over.. As most of them are older now, mines 16 years old, check everything, make sure you hear her running and see if the owner will let you, or the person with you, take it for a test run. As you have seen from my posts on the site I have had problems with my fuel pump, which didnt show up on the test run.. Sometimes things like intermittant faults dont show up when you first look at a bike but its sorted enough for her to run while I wait for payday and my new fuel pump and relay.. Make sure you buy a manual for your bike so if anything does go wrong you can try to figure out what the problem is.. plus you can post a plea for help on here, we are full to the brim with helpfullness :smilebig:

Cost wise Baby Blades are going here in the UK for between £1200 and £1600 at the moment, I paid £1390 for mine.. Dont forget though that the prices are going to start going up now as summer is just round the corner (it happens every year).. I bought mine while the weather was still fairly cr*p and I think I got her for a good price..
Dont buy the first one you see, if there is anything wrong with it, just because you want one.. It took me about 4-5 weeks to find one which was in pretty good nick and the right sort of price.. Take your time and be patient (something i'm not good at!!!) and you will find the right bike for you.. Good luck..

I will post a photo of her later in the photo thread.. She's not perfect (yet) but she's my baby and I :inlove: her..

#44 ·
Well, I don't think you need to go that far. But they are a great first bike. There's power available (certainly enough to get you into trouble if you're silly with it), but it is controllable. The ride height is low, the size of the bike is good for shorter people, they're certainly easier to control than the bigger bikes, yet they prepare you well to be able to handle those better when the time comes.

If looked after, they're pretty reliable as day to day transport. Mine's nearly (if not already) 17 years old and I DO use it everyday.

#47 ·

Presuming its the same in Ireland, you will need to do the CBT and bike test to ride a CBR400.. Check out your local training schools and see what courses they offer.. If they do the 5 day intensive courses with the test at the end that is one option, either on a 125 or the 500cc Direct Access Course.. or you could take your CBT and get a 125 and ride for a few months and then take your test (bearing in mind bike test is getting harder from October this year)... Only you will know whats best for you..

#54 ·
im gona do some more research into training schools locally and hopefully il have good news to report back
When looking at your local training schools see if you can find out what their pass rate is.. also ask other bikers who they learned with as some places may be better than others... or a particular instructor may be very good... see if they have a comments section on their website as well..
You need to find good quality training.. And remember cheapest isnt always best..

#53 ·
I'm glad there's a specific forum for the baby blade as well.. I asked about one a few weeks ago and was told if there was enough interest they may start one up.. obviously there is the interest there :clap:

I'm glad we have been of help to you.. we do our best :smilebig:

#59 ·
Somewhere to post articles would be good.. I written one on the Baby Blade (specs and such like) but have nowhere to put it.. Thanks for starting this forum for us.. Its brilliant watching newbies arrive :smilebig:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.