Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Cruisers Discussion of the Honda Rebel, Honda Shadow, and Honda VTX Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-22-2012
Location: La Grange
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

Hello,
I am requesting assistance regarding a problem I am having with my bike. The bike has 24,000 miles. Symptom: When shifting, all is fine. When accelerating everything seems okay until I pull back the throttle in order to receive the higher accelerations; the motor revs up to high RPM as if it has been put into a neutral setting, while in gear. I am assuming this is a slipping issue occurring with the plates. Are there any troubleshooting procedures I could follow before attempting a clutch replacement?

If anyone could elaborate on what is actually happening that would be great and if anyone could lend some PDF files containing parts needed to be purchased when disassembling and reassembling a clutch. My last request is if anyone would know of a decent site that would have some instruction on how to remove/replace a clutch, if this is indeed my issue. Thanks in advance.
Jbarr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-22-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-22-2012
Location: La Grange
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

I just did some research and found out my bike uses a wet clutch. I will be finding some oil for it and changing that which is currently inside of it so that I can rule out that problem.
Jbarr is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 2:14 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarr View Post
Hello,
I am requesting assistance regarding a problem I am having with my bike. The bike has 24,000 miles. Symptom: When shifting, all is fine. When accelerating everything seems okay until I pull back the throttle in order to receive the higher accelerations; the motor revs up to high RPM as if it has been put into a neutral setting, while in gear. I am assuming this is a slipping issue occurring with the plates. Are there any troubleshooting procedures I could follow before attempting a clutch replacement?

If anyone could elaborate on what is actually happening that would be great and if anyone could lend some PDF files containing parts needed to be purchased when disassembling and reassembling a clutch. My last request is if anyone would know of a decent site that would have some instruction on how to remove/replace a clutch, if this is indeed my issue. Thanks in advance.

How long has it been doing this?
When did you last change the oil and what did you use?
Use a good semi-synthetic motorcycle-specific oil and a new filter.
Get a workshop manual for the bike.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-22-2012
Location: La Grange
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

I purchased the bike on the 20th of this month. The guy I bought it from had said that he just changed the oil and I am not sure about the filter. Also, are you referring to the clutch oil, or engine oil? I really do need to get me a manual. I'll be purchasing one pronto.

Also, my front brake caliper has been locking up. It threw me off the bike today. I bled the brake, but I believe that their is some sort of a leak at the piston of the reservoir on the handle bars. There are wet traces of fluid at the area. I am probably going to purchase me one of these as well.
Jbarr is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 4:47 PM
 
Join Date: 04-03-2012
Location: Chasing range rovers.
Posts: 3,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113
                     
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

Sounds like he may have used car oil instead of motorcycle oil.

If the brakes are locking up, I'd be taking the caliper off and giving the pistons a GOOD cleaning.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sky91 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 7:38 PM
Supporting Member
 
cbr99xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-2003
Location: North Georgia
Age: 57
Posts: 2,692
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27
             
Garage
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

Lot of hot oil running through those clutch plates on a 24,000 mile air cooled engine. I would look to a new clutch and springs... Not as hard as it sounds, buy a manual it is a easy weekend (Sat afternoon) fix.
Had a '82 cb750sc, didn't like synth. things change though... (This bike hasn't changed in a long time).

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
cbr99xx is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 9:54 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarr View Post
I purchased the bike on the 20th of this month. The guy I bought it from had said that he just changed the oil and I am not sure about the filter. Also, are you referring to the clutch oil, or engine oil? I really do need to get me a manual. I'll be purchasing one pronto.

Also, my front brake caliper has been locking up. It threw me off the bike today. I bled the brake, but I believe that their is some sort of a leak at the piston of the reservoir on the handle bars. There are wet traces of fluid at the area. I am probably going to purchase me one of these as well.

Engine, clutch and transmission all run in the same oil, that's why you need to run a motorcycle-specific oil.
Probably dirty pistons, crud in the master cylinder or too much brake fluid in the system.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Supporting Member
 
cbr99xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-2003
Location: North Georgia
Age: 57
Posts: 2,692
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27
             
Garage
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

Brake fluid is probably one of the most ignored fluids on a bike... Since this fluid is hygroscopic (adsorbs water) even in a supposedly closed environment, and is not changed, or probably more to the point... Allowed to sit stagnet (Down time) in a system with many aluminum working parts, a type of corrosion occurs. None of what I am posting should put you off... I am only playing devils advocate and applying worst case... BUT even at worst case, this too is an easy fix. Believe me, knowing your brakes inside and out is not a bad thing. Flushing them out may help but if they are leaking at the seals a rebuild is probably in your future.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
cbr99xx is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 1:32 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-22-2012
Location: La Grange
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

I reflushed/rebled the line with dot 4. I made sure the old fluid had been completely replaced. Yesterday after I rebled it was locking up after about one mile of driving. Then I decided to drive my remaining 10 miles using the rear brake only. It got me home without seizing. I will probably get a new mastercylinder and clean the old caliper.

As for the slipping I will probably buy and install my own clutch. If anyone could post a list of parts and tools to include you will be saving me much difficulty. I would loath buying a few parts and not having the proper tools considering there is no local supplier for me to fall back on. I will be purchasing most materials from the web.

Thank you all for the input. Getting my hands dirty is inevitable ;D
Jbarr is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 1:41 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarr View Post
I reflushed/rebled the line with dot 4. I made sure the old fluid had been completely replaced. Yesterday after I rebled it was locking up after about one mile of driving. Then I decided to drive my remaining 10 miles using the rear brake only. It got me home without seizing. I will probably get a new mastercylinder and clean the old caliper.

As for the slipping I will probably buy and install my own clutch. If anyone could post a list of parts and tools to include you will be saving me much difficulty. I would loath buying a few parts and not having the proper tools considering there is no local supplier for me to fall back on. I will be purchasing most materials from the web.

Thank you all for the input. Getting my hands dirty is inevitable ;D

But the fluid level is low enough in the reservoir to allow fluid to return?

Change the oil before you buy a clutch.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 3:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-22-2012
Location: La Grange
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Clutch Assistance: 93 Nighthawk 750

I'll be changing my fluid, both in the brakes and the clutch. Putting in the proper levels and I will get back in touch with you all. Semester is ending, so it may be a few days until that time.
Jbarr is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Cruisers

Tags
750 , clutch , honda , nighthawk , troubleshoot

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
in need of some assistance phoniex929 General Discussion 0 07-28-2011 12:16 PM
a little assistance maltbia General Discussion 1 03-17-2009 2:49 AM
'95 CBR900rr assistance ilost1mind Honda FireBlade 2 04-02-2008 7:23 PM
Newb needs assistance... hondahb Honda FireBlade 7 02-28-2008 5:46 AM
Need some assistance rockets25 Honda FireBlade 6 07-09-2003 1:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome