Magna Cam oil issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Cruisers Discussion of the Honda Rebel, Honda Shadow, and Honda VTX Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 6:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Magna Cam oil issues

Have anny of you ever heard of the cam oiling problems that the early Magnas were supposed to have had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Magna Cam oil issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6550 View Post
Have anny of you ever heard of the cam oiling problems that the early Magnas were supposed to have had?

No, but the first-gen V-fours were known for the face hardening on the cams coming apart.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

so des that mean that the cams were bad or the motor was bad and had low oil pressure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
so des that mean that the cams were bad or the motor was bad and had low oil pressure?

I'm not aware that it was an oil supply issue, rather it was the face hardening that was failing.

Why are you asking?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I have just bought a 1986 Honda Magna VF700C and I dont want the cams to fail any time soon. So Im hoping to find out if I have a problem to fix or if the bike will be ok
post #6 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have just bought a 1986 Honda Magna VF700C and I dont want the cams to fail any time soon. So Im hoping to find out if I have a problem to fix or if the bike will be ok

The only way to know for sure is to pull the valve covers and inspect the cam lobes for wear, particularly any pitting or scabbing.

post #7 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I pulled the valve covers and the cams look good but that doesnt mean that a problem wont present itself in the near future does it?
post #8 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I pulled the valve covers and the cams look good but that doesnt mean that a problem wont present itself in the near future does it?

Assuming the bike has actually been ridden most of its life I would think they would've failed long before now if they were going to.

post #9 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

I have put about 1500 miles on it. I have been reading elsewhere and some guys say that it might run fine until 30000 and then the cams will go. It has 20000 now and i want it to make it to 30. I agree you would think that it would have developed problems by now but some guys say that it wont happen for awhile so i dont know what to think.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have put about 1500 miles on it. I have been reading elsewhere and some guys say that it might run fine until 30000 and then the cams will go. It has 20000 now and i want it to make it to 30. I agree you would think that it would have developed problems by now but some guys say that it wont happen for awhile so i dont know what to think.

Okay, 20000 miles on a 26-year-old bike is a worry for lots of other reasons. It may simply be that the cams already failed and the bike sat for many years before being repaired, although I'm not sure that's enough mileage to guarantee the problem showing itself. But a bike that has been neglected for so long is likely to have other problems, like perished seals and corrosion in the engine and brake and suspension systems. I'd be thoroughly inspecting the rest of the bike rather than worrying about the cams right away.
Is it the original engine?

post #11 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Its the original engine but I dont think that it was neglected or left sat for longer than a few months at a time. I think it was cared for and ridden nice, but some of these people just seem tot hink that these bikes have cam oiling issues and that if you dont put an oil mod on they will eventually suffer premature cam wear than again some disagree. I would rather be safe than sorry though when it comes to my bike I want to be riding it for a long time.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Its the original engine but I dont think that it was neglected or left sat for longer than a few months at a time. I think it was cared for and ridden nice, but some of these people just seem tot hink that these bikes have cam oiling issues and that if you dont put an oil mod on they will eventually suffer premature cam wear than again some disagree. I would rather be safe than sorry though when it comes to my bike I want to be riding it for a long time.

Even if it were only ridden around town at 30mph it only _averaged_ 25 hours of use per _year_, far less if it ever went out for a country squirt. What is the manufacture date on the tyres?

As I said, I'm not aware of any oil feed problems but I'm no expert on them. A mate of mine had a VF1000F that shredded the cams and blew the engine though. If you keep the oil fresh and inspect the cams occasionally I'd be surprised if they cause you any grief.
Or you can simply buy some aftermarket regrinds, pop those in and forget about it entirely.

post #13 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 7:32 AM Thread Starter

What year was the VF1000? How much ar regrinds typically?
post #14 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 9:18 AM

The oil feed problems were on the early Magnas. 86 on up; the issue was supposedly resolved. For added peace of mind it has been suggested that an increase in idle would be beneficial. I have my 86 set at 13-1400. Change oil & filter religiously every 3000 miles with an added squirt of Lucas oil stabilizer. Monies better spent on safety:Tires,Brakes,Hoses & Cables; opposed to an oil mod that may be unnecessary.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

You have an 86 700 Magna? Are you running the mod and whats your mileage?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Cruisers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page