1981 Honda CM400 Rear Wheel Issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Cruisers Discussion of the Honda Rebel, Honda Shadow, and Honda VTX Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-30-2012, 4:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1981 Honda CM400 Rear Wheel Issues

I'm not very educated on motorcycles and how they work, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me out without me having to pay hundreds of dollars for a mechanic to tell me what's wrong with it.

This has happened twice now. The lip on the rear wheel that holds the circlip in place has been broken off. It's done this on two wheels so far in the course of a few months. I'd like to find out the cause of this before I install a new wheel and end up having to replace that one, too.

I could not see anything grinding against the wheel or hitting it while I had the bike stationary. It's possible I just had 2 old wheels that just broke from weathering and whatnot.

If anyone has any advice on possible causes of this, I'd greatly appreciate.

Also, if anyone knows of a place I can order a new rear wheel, that would be awesome, too. I'm having a hard time finding it on my own.

I could also use help learning some terminology, so I don't sound like a newbie when I try to talk about my bike.

Thank you! I really need to get this bike back on the road so I can get to my classes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-30-2012, 5:03 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 1981 Honda CM400 Rear Wheel Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool View Post
I'm not very educated on motorcycles and how they work, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me out without me having to pay hundreds of dollars for a mechanic to tell me what's wrong with it.

This has happened twice now. The lip on the rear wheel that holds the circlip in place has been broken off. It's done this on two wheels so far in the course of a few months. I'd like to find out the cause of this before I install a new wheel and end up having to replace that one, too.

I could not see anything grinding against the wheel or hitting it while I had the bike stationary. It's possible I just had 2 old wheels that just broke from weathering and whatnot.

If anyone has any advice on possible causes of this, I'd greatly appreciate.

Also, if anyone knows of a place I can order a new rear wheel, that would be awesome, too. I'm having a hard time finding it on my own.

I could also use help learning some terminology, so I don't sound like a newbie when I try to talk about my bike.

Thank you! I really need to get this bike back on the road so I can get to my classes!

Belt drive or chain drive?
Is the wheel correctly aligned?
Are the axle spacers on the correct sides of the wheel?
Is the circlip on the right way around - the sharp edge should face outwards.
Is the washer in place behind the circlip?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 10-31-2012 at 12:22 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-30-2012, 5:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Belt drive or chain drive?
Is the wheel correctl aligned?
Are the axle spacers on the correct sides of the wheel?
Is the circlip on the right way around - the sharp edge should face outwards.
Is the washer in place behind the circlip?
Chain.
Wheels were aligned and checked before it broke the first time. I'm not sure how easily it can fall out of alignment, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it while riding.
I reassembled the wheel exactly as I had taken it off and double checked it with the diagram in the manual.
I was not aware there was right way around for the circlip.
The washer was in its correct place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool View Post
Chain.
Wheels were aligned and checked before it broke the first time. I'm not sure how easily it can fall out of alignment, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it while riding.
I reassembled the wheel exactly as I had taken it off and double checked it with the diagram in the manual.
I was not aware there was right way around for the circlip.
The washer was in its correct place.

I was referring to the alignment of the rear wheel only, if the frame is bent and you align the rear wheel with the front wheel you will be putting side-loading on the chain.
To align the wheel measure from the axle centre to swingarm pivot centre on both side of the bike.
I'm not familiar with the bike so I don't know the purpose of the circlip, but circlips are generally directional with the sharp edge designed to take the lateral force.
Is the cushdrive worn at all?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Cruisers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page