'98 1100 shadow spirit, HALP! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Cruisers Discussion of the Honda Rebel, Honda Shadow, and Honda VTX Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2015, 1:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage
'98 1100 shadow spirit, HALP!

Okay need a hand here. It seems that carbs are my absolute weakness for some reason and every carb'd bike I own gives me fits eventually...

I installed a Cobra exhaust, no issues minus it going extra-lean on me. Ordered the proper gaskets and jet-kit to get everything into "official" mode and keep the bike running happy.

Strip her down to do the jets, not too bad... kinda...
Unboot the carbs, they fackers do not come out of the frame if they are still bolted to each-other- no problemo- flip them around in the frame and do the needle from one and jets in the other...
Rotate around, needle in other and jets in the other.. sounds confusing but just vice versa from first set-up.
Reassemble... yeah... carbs did not go back into the same attitude without a lot of grief, but they got there! Get the carbs back into position and pop them back in the boots (which look almost brand-new). Fire her up and you can hear air being sucked in.... sonuva...
Pull most of it back apart, tighten everything up, look for cracks or misaligned parts, all looks good, tight, and in-place.
Fire her back up again- suck suck suck suck...... RAWR
Give up for the night, return in the morning.
Pull the carbs out of the boots, check boots, make sure they are seated on the head-side, pop the carbs back in, everything is tight, all hoses are connected, she's ready to go!
Start her up... suck suck suck suck..... RAWR

What am I missing? The carbs seem to be fully seated on the boots, the boots seem fully seated on the heads, the clamps are tight, all hoses and what-nots are connected.

Front cylinder only! Boot appears to be fully in-place, no cracks or wear, even damaged myself trying to ensure the boot was seated... I'm lost and out of ideas as to what I did wrong..=( HALP!

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-28-2015, 1:38 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage
Re: '98 1100 shadow spirit, HALP!

Demon, the carbs def come out without splitting them. However you got past that with some ingenuity

If you leave the air box snorkels off does it make the same sound? If the carbs are in the boots correctly as you say and ALL hoses are hooked up correctly I don't see it being anything else. Especially weird on only one cylinder.

Can you post some detailed pics of the carbs as they are now? Did you perhaps pinch one of the vacuum slides on the top cover or forget to install a slide spring? Def seems weird bro.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 7 Old 06-28-2015, 1:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage

For-sure, both springs are in-place in the top covers are down fully. I looked over the entire top cover just to make sure I didn't see pinched diaphram material or a gap.

I have not tried without the snorkels, but I did light up a smoke (great idea around fuel) and blew some smoke (uninhaled thick stuff) right toward the boot. It did suck it in right there at the boot but I cannot pinpoint exactly where..

I thought maybe there was a trick to these V-Twins that I did not know.. I guess not lol.
I am going to re-do it all tomorrow... again. This time I am going to fully pull the carbs through the top of the frame (somehow) as this is how the manual says it is done... we'll see if I can pull it off. The idea here is that I want to fully remove the boots for inspection and make sure they are seated by looking down the boot while it is installed and tightened.

Before I do all that I will start it without the airbox connecting tubes/snorkels, but it is fairly noticeable, at least to me, that it is coming from the "right side" which is the front cylinder. I checked the sound from both sides of the bike and on the right side (by the rear cylinder carb) it sounds more-distant and echoed. Just at a loss really.

I'll try to snorkels removed tomorrow, pull the carbs out fully and check and reseat the head-side tomorrow and let you know. I'll also try to grab some pics as I did not think to do so today.

I knew you'd come to my rescue Ian the carb god!

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-28-2015, 1:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Just a note, I had the "secondary air cleaner" on as well as the crankcase breather storage box (or w/e that thing is) on, tried without the crankcase box with the same result (though it ran just fine without it....)

post #5 of 7 Old 06-28-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Okay then, I figured out the problem. For starters my lack of carb experience shines through in this one and I have to say I WAS THE PROBLEM! But, we already knew that...

I drilled out a plug believing it to be the F/A-A/F mixture screw... wrong plug... I'm a f*****g idgit....

I was sitting down by my front door getting ready to admit defeat, but decided I would go sit on my toolbox and stare at the object of my seething rage instead. So I proceed over there and plop down, defeated, frustrated, and wounded. I stare deeply into the abyss of my unknown issue that was plaguing my dreams last night, just staring blankly, when I noticed but a small hole that I drilled.... I thought... "well, it is on the front cylinder's carb and close to the suck zone... I wonder".... I grabbed a piece of electrical tape and covered the hole- the best I could given its location and the primitive band-aid I was using. Fired her up- BAM! One less sound of suck... mostly at least. Epiphany... I'm a dumbass.

I knew one thing and one thing only; if I can break it, I can fix it. Problem solved thanks to another more-permanent band-aid... silicone... Not sure what this port is for but I am assuming vacuum checking the carb? It is not the sync port... which is why I'm confused... nitrous port? EF IT...

So... Ian... WTF did I drill out here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	carb1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	62822

post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2015, 6:12 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

Well now! Glad you figured it out yourself

But that's a great question as to what you drilled. Your provided reference photo didn't expand out very well, so the best I could do was guess at the port. Looks like it was a pressed in brass insert? My educated 49 State guess is that it's a plug that takes the place of a fresh air or PAIR style steel tube for California emissions stuff. That's my best guess. I would be cautious of the silicone, depending if the port is sucking or blowing, (I know lol) that is doesn't come loose and get sucked into the carb innards somehow.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #7 of 7 Old 06-28-2015, 6:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage

It had 2 very very small holes behind the plug but that was it. I didn't put in heaps of silicone, just enough to fill in the hole I drilled out and it will probably be temporary until I can manage to find another appropriate plug for it.

I felt like a tard when I found it... should have thought about it earlier.

On the wtf is going on side of the house... my tail light cover fell off somewhere when I was riding.... sigh... right after I get her back up and going.

She was also still pretty lean and giving me tons of decel pop, richened her up another half-turn with good results, still a pop here and there but another 1/4 turn seemed to do the trick... now to find my cover or order a new one... grrrrr RAWR.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Cruisers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page