86 Magna Front Tire Issue? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Cruisers Discussion of the Honda Rebel, Honda Shadow, and Honda VTX Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 8:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

86 Magna Front Tire Issue?

I mounted a new front tire on my Magna; had it balanced. Went easy on it for about a 100 miles; all seemed fine. Now with about 300 miles on the tire; it seems to be some what bouncy at highway speeds & feels like its skating on ice. Hard to explain; like the wheel is wandering sorta. Look the tire over for any unusual signs of wear & check for any free play on the axle; all looks normal. Does this condition sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 9:05 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Re: 86 Magna Front Tire Issue?

I have an issue with my new front tire as well. Not sure if it's the same issue as yours. Had it balanced in the shop and I installed it myself. It was like the handlebars were conctantly wandering back and forth at all speeds. At highway speeds it was like driving a jack hammer. Took it off and had it rechecked for balance and sure enough...it was out of balance. The shop rebalanced it and it is some what better but it is still "walking" on me. After an hour on the bike, my arms are killing me. The bike was perfect with the old tire so I expect it's a balance problem. I'm gonna haul the wheel off again but have another shop balance it to see if that's the problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-29-2011, 8:06 AM Thread Starter

Sounds to me, like we have the same exact issue. I'm going to try & have it rebalanced; see if that has any affect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Hope you have better luck than me. I had the tire rebalanced.....moved one weight and zeroed it in but I still got the wobble. That is the third attempt at balancing without success. We now suspect it is a bad tire. The dealer has been really good to deal with and a new tire is on the way.

Last edited by Newfie; 07-01-2011 at 4:20 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 3:22 PM

Reputation Power: 78

Just a possibility: its installed backwards
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonF166 View Post
Just a possibility: its installed backwards
Good point. Was the first thing I checked. Not sure if mikelens did. It's interesting though..... I bought two Conti-Sport Attacks (front & rear),
they were both installed according to the rotation arrow on the tires however the tread patterns rotate opposite to each other. Not sure if that's normal or not.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I just had the tire at the local shop. Two different techs on it at the same time & balance appeared to be dead on. The tire is installed correctly; rotation wise. Since my bike is an 86; the techs seemed to lean towards a possible front suspension issue. They are questioning the "health" of the front springs. Initially it was thought that someone may have installed a heavier oil to compensate for a spring issue; but I had changed the oil & used the recommended amount of ATF as the manual calls for. I'm going to pull the springs; take the measurements & see if that tells me anything. IMO; I really don't think that length would be any kind of indicater; the spring just may have lost its ability to carry the load. After 25 years; maybe new springs wouldn't hurt. I'll see how it goes & keep you all posted.
Mike
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2011, 7:50 PM Thread Starter

Just a follow up. Re-installed the wheel. After tightening the caliper to the fork; I noticed that the spacer was not completely sitting against the fork. I could see the shiny axle bolt in a 1/32 gap. Checked the manual which stated to check clearance of the caliper to rotor & adjust by moving the fork. I tapped the fork with a rubber mallet & the spacer seated against the fork. Tightened pinch bolt to spec. No more skating & no bounce. I'll have to admit; must have been a faulty install the first time around.
Mike
post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2011, 8:25 PM

Excellent news mikelens...that was a great find. Happy to hear it was nothing serious.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2011, 4:38 PM

Finally got my new front replaced with a new(er) front tire today. The wobble is gone. It turns out the tire was faulty from day one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Cruisers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page