magna -how do you remove front wheel - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Cruisers Discussion of the Honda Rebel, Honda Shadow, and Honda VTX Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

magna -how do you remove front wheel

folks--changing front tire tomorrow--any advice/tips on removing front tire?
Also--I put in Shell Rotella T non synthetic auto oil in 1985 honda magna---any issues with this ? 10w-40w.
Thanks
Cliff Z NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 PM
V65

Re: magna -how do you remove front wheel

Well, the oil has anti-friction additives and you have a wet clutch, so you might experience slippage using that. Some tell me conventional oil formulated for high mileage vehicles as advertised, doesn't have these additives and you'll save a lousy $8 using it instead of cycle oil. For $8 I don't attempt to use oil designed for cars only personally. I do prefer synthetic oil and Valvoline is only $8 a qt at my local Walmart, 4 qts and it's $32 per oil change plus $7 for the filter. I feel safe going 3000 miles between oil changes using synthetic oil. I don't run a bike for economic reasons, but to enjoy myself. Any ill consequences for not using the best oils just doesn't make sense to me.

The front wheel removal is as follows:
Get bike on center stand, this is the 1st generation Magna, right, 82-86?
Unscrew the speed sensor set screw and remove from the hub.
Remove allen bolts on the right hand caliper.
Remove axle clamp nuts on the right hand side.
Unscrew the front axle from the left hand fork.
Pull the wheel down and forward.
Don't lay the wheel down on the disk, you can warp it. Prop it on the rim with two wooden boards so the disk doesn't contact the ground.
Insert a piece of wood in the caliper so you don't accidentally bump or squeeze the brake lever and pop out your caliper pistons.
make sure when you put the wheel back on, F faces forward on the axle clamp, and finger tighten the bolts first, complete the steps and then set to torque specs for your bike, which is what? 500cc, 700cc, 750cc, 1100cc?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response!! I agree with you on the oil subject---I went old school and threw in what I used to throw in---I should drain it and drop in some motorcycle oil. As for the front wheel---seems easy--do the pinch screws have chrome caps on them? How hard is it to remove/replace the tire? thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2011, 4:56 PM

When you re-install the wheel make sure the fork is snug up against the spacer before you tighten the pinch bolt. I followed the shop manual & later found that when you tighten up the caliper; the force used moves the fork outward a tad. As far as oil goes my manual calls for regular automotive oil; don't know what the advantage of using motorcycle specific oil is.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelens View Post
When you re-install the wheel make sure the fork is snug up against the spacer before you tighten the pinch bolt. I followed the shop manual & later found that when you tighten up the caliper; the force used moves the fork outward a tad. As far as oil goes my manual calls for regular automotive oil; don't know what the advantage of using motorcycle specific oil is.
the difference in auto oil..and motor cycle oil is simple..motor cycles use a wet clutch.which means..the friction disk don't need to slip..which is what will happen if you use auto oil..because auto oil has friction modifires in it to make is more..well..slippery..lol...if you use auto oil in a motor cycle..your gonna burn your clutch up..it will slip big time in no time. now..if your in a tight bind..and you don't have any funds for oil made for motor cycles..yes..you can run auto oil in it..but..please do not run it any longer than you have too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Cruisers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page