MIL light does not light - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

MIL light does not light

My 2004 1000rr runs fine, gets great fuel mileage, none of the LCD display indicators flash, but my MIL light will not light at ignition on to make sure it works.
I have the owners and service manuals from Honda, and both indicate it should light to test it at ignition on, then go out at start up.

Is there a bulb I can check? The service manual covers all the blink codes and troubleshooting, but not what to do if it does not light at all at ignition on.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 7:51 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Re: MIL light does not light

I think this is the first time someone's complained about the MIL light NOT coming on

Could be the LED has worked away from the solder points, or it's not getting a voltage from the ECU. Look at the service manual for the wire colours going into the clocks, and see if there's a voltage on the relevant line.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 8:53 PM Thread Starter

I got my service manual in a pdf format. The diagram showing the wire colors going into the combination meter display is not legible enough to see the wire colors labels, even on full zoom. I can see the wires and the colors, but not the labeling on the plug to see which ones are for the MIL lamp.
It's on page 21-3 if anyone has a paper version and can tell me the colors for the MIL lamp I'd be most appreciative. I'll test them as posted above and see if it's a lamp / display issue or farther up the harness at the plug, or even an ecm problem.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 8:16 PM Thread Starter

Top.....anyone have the service manual that can tell me what color wires / terminal locations for the MIL lamp?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 9:22 PM Thread Starter

MIL lamp was burned out. Thanks to a fellow CBR rider I got a different display, all is good now.

My other one is up for grabs if a handy guy wants to replace the MIL led lamp. 17,200 miles. Not melted. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips!
post #6 of 7 Old 09-14-2012, 4:51 AM

Reputation Power: 113

It's actually not that difficult to swap out the LED's if you can hold a soldering iron at all.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2012, 8:05 AM Thread Starter

Do you know what the spec is on that LED?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page