What year is my '93 900 RR and what fairings do I need? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 6:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

What year is my '93 900 RR and what fairings do I need?

Gentleman, the unthinkable happened and my beautiful girl went tits up as I inelegantly rammed her into the back of a non-moving car on the very congested highway.

Until then I'd been thinking I have a regular UK 1993 RR-P model, as that's what the frame and enginenumbers belong to,according to my Haynes book, but now that I've started
to try and find some parts to replace my broken radiator and completely crushed front, I've
gotten myself confused.

My front fairing has (had :-( ) only one headlight, while from what I can see, the 93/94 model has a twin headlight. I then noticed my frame has two numbers, one that has been struck over, but which starts with JHSC289, and another one, obviously not written by Honda originally, that matches a 1993 RR-P model (the same is the case on both places where the framenumbers are written).
Likewise the enginenumber also matches the same 1993 model.

I can't see the SC289 number in my Haynes, but when googling I found it here: CBR900RRN SC289 HONDA Motorcycle CBR 900 FIREBLADE 900 1992 ESPANA - Sale Honda motorcycle spare parts microfiche origin - http://www.bike-parts-honda.com
CBR900RRS SC289 HONDA Motorcycle CBR 900 FIREBLADE 900 1995 ESPANA - Sale Honda motorcycle spare parts microfiche origin - http://www.bike-parts-honda.com

The front of the latter (- Sale Honda motorcycle spare parts microfiche origin - http://www.bike-parts-honda.com) looks similar to what I had, but that's a 1995 according to
the webpage, while the first, also with a SC289* number, is a 1992.model according to the webpage

The fairing I'd normally try to get would of course be a 1993 model, but that one has
the twin headlights, while I only have the wire harness for one headlight on my bike,
so that's obviously not going to work out without some extra help. :-/
Thus I'm not sure what model fairing I should be looking for.

The colourscheme on my bike is the same as this one, if that's of any help:
http://tinyurl.com/bp5nrxu

I'm not expecting it to be easy to find replacement fairings locally, especially here in Norway, so I wonder what year model should fit. The front fairing was totaled (though amusingly enough the lightbulb survived), and most of the right handside too, but left and belly is more or less ok.

Would somebody smarter than me care to hazard a guess on what might be the case
with my frame and fairings here? I guess the original frame was replaced and then the framenumber of the orginal frame was etched into the new one, but what year does a JHSC2892 0(O?) M* frame belong to and does it seem like my single headlight fairing
belongs to that year?

Much obliged, gentlemen. -- Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 9:10 AM

Re: What year is my '93 900 RR and what fairings do I need?

You can use this website to find out what model your bike is. VIN Decoder for cars, trucks and motorcycles @ Motoverse.com

However its possible that the fairings were replaced by a previous owner. If you have a single headlight then it is not a 93/94.

You can make just about any fairings fit. I have a 97 with 93 plastics.

If you post a picture of your bike im sure someone knows the year of your fairings.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 1:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianw View Post
You can use this website to find out what model your bike is. VIN Decoder for cars, trucks and motorcycles @ Motoverse.com

However its possible that the fairings were replaced by a previous owner. If you have a single headlight then it is not a 93/94.

You can make just about any fairings fit. I have a 97 with 93 plastics.

If you post a picture of your bike im sure someone knows the year of your fairings.
Hi, thanks for the idea. I tried the website, but unfortunately it is unable to make sense
of my framenumber. Seems silly perhaps, but I've checked and doublechecked without
luck.

Seems difficult to me to make sense out of the pictures, but perhaps somebody will
have an idea ... I've tried to attach them here, hopefully it comes out ok. It's
stripped down a bit in preparation for a replacement radiator I hope will turn up soon.

I guess the original frame was at some point trashed and another frame used
to replace it, presumably with replacement fairings too.

What you say about fitting fairings is encouraging. I see somebody else in Norway is selling used fairings for a 1999 model. Price is a bit steep, but if it would fit I'd have to consider it. Judging from the pictures, that one also has the single headlight, though
I don't have any idea on how it and the rest would fit to my bike/frame. :-/

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3882.JPG‎   IMG_3883.JPG‎   IMG_3884.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 2:40 PM

Reputation Power: 9

I think the fairings you have are 98/99 ones, i could tell from the headlight shape in the broken front fairing pic. Check on your engine also whether your bike is a 919cc or an 893 because since 1995 they became 919cc this will help you find out what you have.

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"
post #5 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 2:47 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for the reply.

I"ve checked the enginenumber against the list in my Haynes manual, and that number corresponds to a UK 1993 RR-P model. If that too was replaced, presumably the
number there would also be overstriken, and the bike would have been sold as a 1998 model
or something, for a higher price than I paid for it as a 1993 (1994) some years ago.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 2:49 PM

No problem, happy to help :-). I meant check for the displacement of the bike, it will be cast into the engine itself, they could not have changed that number...

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"
post #7 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 3:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeuvletian View Post
No problem, happy to help :-). I meant check for the displacement of the bike, it will be cast into the engine itself, they could not have changed that number...
Ah. Ok, I'll check that. I went outside now to look, but could not see the number, perhaps
because I'm not sure where it would be stamped. It's a bit dark now however, so will try again in the morning.

Cheers.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 3:13 PM

It should be somewhere on the block right behind the right side radiator hose.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 3:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeuvletian View Post
It should be somewhere on the block right behind the right side radiator hose.
Thanks again. Now I saw it. 893 it says.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 3:18 PM

Perfect, then you're bike is a 1993 indeed :-)

post #11 of 12 Old 09-18-2012, 4:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. You both appear to be right; one can make fairings from different years fit, and the front is from a 1998.
After browsing another thread here, I realized that there might be a modelnumber stamped
on the inside of the fairings, and indeed there was not only a modelnumber, but also a year and a month.

The front is 1998/9, while at least some of the other panels are 1993/x.

The front also had a text stamped into it: "For the people who want to enjoy the meaning of light weight".
post #12 of 12 Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Happy i could help, i was sure it was a 98/99 fairing set because of the shape of the headlight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page