New 954 Owner - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 2:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

New 954 Owner

I just picked up a 954 and this thing handles like a tank! I actually parked it in favor of my F2 the other night. I've only put 50 miles on it, but so far, not impressed.

I'm curious about how the forks "catch" in a forward centered position - and how to disabled that. Trying to turn a corner from a stop with these forks caught in center ... I feel like a giraffe on roller skates!!

Also, anyone have a shot in the dark as to why a bike may pull to the right? I take my hands off the handlebars and the bike leans right - hard enough to pull me to the right. If I shift my weight to the left side of the bike - it will quit pulling - but then I'm no longer centered on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 2:40 PM

Reputation Power: 28

Re: New 954 Owner

Is it possible your steering head bearings are shot, or done up too tight, this could cause the bike to pull to one side, more than the front & rear tyres being out of alignment....

But definitely still worth string lining the bike to check wheel alignment.

Keep us posted....

Anyone can drive a fast bike, few can drive a bike fast!
post #3 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 2:46 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_Damage View Post
I just picked up a 954 and this thing handles like a tank! I actually parked it in favor of my F2 the other night. I've only put 50 miles on it, but so far, not impressed.

I'm curious about how the forks "catch" in a forward centered position - and how to disabled that. Trying to turn a corner from a stop with these forks caught in center ... I feel like a giraffe on roller skates!!

Also, anyone have a shot in the dark as to why a bike may pull to the right? I take my hands off the handlebars and the bike leans right - hard enough to pull me to the right. If I shift my weight to the left side of the bike - it will quit pulling - but then I'm no longer centered on the bike.

Has it been lowered at all?
Steering head bearings are probably worn.
Check wheel alignment.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 2:49 PM

Also worth checking Forks - preload / oil

post #5 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 4:13 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I don't have any history of the bike beyond 'what I see is what I get'.

By the looks of some body damage - I'm going to assume that the kid
stunted the bike - or constantly dropped it at low speeds.

The forks are not stock - they are race-tech. There is evidence that they may have been mounted on another bike - or - at one time the bike was lowered as there are triple clamp marks on the tubes below where the t-clamps are now. As far as I can tell - it is currently at stock ride height.

Is there any way to test the head bearings without tearing the bike apart? Are the forks suppose to "catch" in a forward centered position?
post #6 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 4:38 PM

Reputation Power: 12

The forks definitely shouldnt be "catching" at all. Sounds to me like youve got some stuff to work on cuz the 954 handles beautifully lol
post #7 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 5:02 PM

You will be able to feel if your bearings are loose. One way is to go slow and tap your front brake. If they are loose, you'll feel it. Not sure what the torque specs are but I just crank it down by feel. You definitely don't want to put too much torque on them though. It is a really easy job and you don't need a dealer to do it. Just a big socket (17 mil I think) and a decent size driver for leverage.

post #8 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 5:03 PM

When u say "catching" - how exactly do you mean?

post #9 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 5:15 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surteez View Post
You will be able to feel if your bearings are loose. One way is to go slow and tap your front brake. If they are loose, you'll feel it. Not sure what the torque specs are but I just crank it down by feel. You definitely don't want to put too much torque on them though. It is a really easy job and you don't need a dealer to do it. Just a big socket (17 mil I think) and a decent size driver for leverage.

You can't adjust the steering tension with a socket.
The tension is adjusted with the collar that sits underneath the top clamp.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 5:18 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_Damage View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any history of the bike beyond 'what I see is what I get'.

By the looks of some body damage - I'm going to assume that the kid
stunted the bike - or constantly dropped it at low speeds.

The forks are not stock - they are race-tech. There is evidence that they may have been mounted on another bike - or - at one time the bike was lowered as there are triple clamp marks on the tubes below where the t-clamps are now. As far as I can tell - it is currently at stock ride height.

Is there any way to test the head bearings without tearing the bike apart? Are the forks suppose to "catch" in a forward centered position?

If the front was lowered then perhaps the rear is as well.

post #11 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 5:23 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surteez View Post
When u say "catching" - how exactly do you mean?

99.9% of the time the bike is ridden in a straight line so the bearings wear a groove in the races. When they get badly worn you have to force the steering to turn to either side from straight ahead.

post #12 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 5:23 PM Thread Starter

I don't think the bike is lowered. I don't know of another 954 in town, but studying pics on the net, it looks normal.

You remember the silver boom boxes from the 80's. My forks auto center just like the speaker balance knobs did on those boom boxes.
post #13 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
99.9% of the time the bike is ridden in a straight line so the bearings wear a groove in the races. When they get badly worn you have to force the steering to turn to either side from straight ahead.
Yeah I understand that, I just wanted to get an idea on the severity of it I meant.

post #14 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 5:51 PM Thread Starter

It's severe enough that I can lift the bike up and the front wheel will stay centered. I actually thought it was a feature of the bike - though couldn't find any reference to it on the net. So then I thought it may be something special for a track bike as a number of bolts are tie-off bolts.

It does not have a dampener or any other gizmo hooked up to it - so the bearings the only thing that it can be I suppose.
post #15 of 37 Old 09-14-2012, 6:25 PM

Reputation Power: 56

surprised I'm the first to say it... PIIIICCCCSSSSSS......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page