Valve clearances on my '02 954 with approx. 37K miles need adjusting, and I am debating on whether to do the adjustments myself or have the dealership do it. Valve clearance measurements, taken twice, are appended.
I am fairly mechanically inclined and comfortable working on cars and bikes but a valve clearance adjustment on a compact and modern engine such as this would be the most complicated work that I would have done.
Inputs and suggestions on whether to have the shop do it (guessing about a $400 job) or do it myself and on the planned steps as listed below are appreciated.
If I do this work myself, here is what I am thinking needs to get done based on reading the shop manuals and several related posts on this board and others.
1. Remove cam chain tensioner housing (replace with manual tensioner during re-install, CBR ZONE
2. Take another set of valve clearance measurements
3. Check cylinder pressures (planning on renting a gauge from O'Reilly's instead of spending $50 to $60 on buying one just for this job)
4. Remove camshafts
5. Replace shims as needed to bring all clearances to spec
6. Use lots of molybednum disuplhide grease and reinstall camshafts
7. Recheck valve clearances and cylinder pressure
8. Install manual CCT, possibly new plugs
9. Re-install a boatload of other parts (incl. changing coolant)
Intake: 0.006 +/- 0.001
Exhaust: 0.011 +/- 0.001