hard starting - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-25-2012, 3:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

hard starting

So ive been rebuilding my blade. Last week i took the carbs off and cleaned them. Suprisingly they were not that dirty. Since ive had the bike i have always had a tough time getting it started if it sat for more than a week or so. And i always have to choke it until it reaches around 90 degrees even if it hasnt been sitting. Its a 98. Anything i should check while the carbs are off that may cure this? Or is it just normal? Once it warms and i take the choke off it runs fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-25-2012, 3:50 PM

Reputation Power: 28

Re: hard starting

I'd check battery voltage, fuel pump, plugs. Are all the headers heating up to same temp?

Anyone can drive a fast bike, few can drive a bike fast!
post #3 of 18 Old 10-25-2012, 3:51 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberdcbr900 View Post
So ive been rebuilding my blade. Last week i took the carbs off and cleaned them. Suprisingly they were not that dirty. Since ive had the bike i have always had a tough time getting it started if it sat for more than a week or so. And i always have to choke it until it reaches around 90 degrees even if it hasnt been sitting. Its a 98. Anything i should check while the carbs are off that may cure this? Or is it just normal? Once it warms and i take the choke off it runs fine.

Did you strip all the jets out and ensure carb cleaner blows though all the orifices?
Pilot circuits blocked perhaps or mixture screws too lean.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 10-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-25-2012, 3:51 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Sounds like you have a fine set of carbs. So long as you can remove the choke once it's warmed up, I see no problem here. Take it out for a road test and see if you have any problems. I bet she's gonna run like she was meant to. I have only had 2 carbureted bikes and they both ran like this. How long does it take untill you can remove the choke? My PW50 was just shy of a minute, and the XL250 was about the same. My dad's (sorry to bring Harleys in on this one) sportsters is probably a little over a minute before full choke out.

Last edited by eu4ic1000; 10-25-2012 at 3:55 PM. Reason: Forgot important info
post #5 of 18 Old 10-25-2012, 3:59 PM

I have a 23 year old nc23 which starts without the choke even at 0C at 4am so I wouldn't say it's normal to have to use the choke every time you start her up

post #6 of 18 Old 10-25-2012, 4:08 PM Thread Starter

Battery and plugs are good. Ill recheck all the orifices with cleaner. She takes a good minute or two before i can take the choke off.. runs fine at all rpms once warm. Just figured it shouldnt be so hard to start. I was gonna play with the idle mixture screws but i wasnt sure which ones they were. Are they the 4 Phillips screws just below each inlet? And whats the best stategy for adjusting them? Is it turn each one the same amount each time?
post #7 of 18 Old 10-25-2012, 4:15 PM Thread Starter

Let me clarify also...if it has been sitting for over a week, it take a while to even get it started then i have to choke it for a minute or two. If it has been sitting for a day or two it starts ok but i still need to choke it for a minute or two. Runs great after all that. I have had other carbed bikes that start easily most of the time and only when cold require a little choke.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-26-2012, 4:17 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surteez View Post
I have a 23 year old nc23 which starts without the choke even at 0C at 4am so I wouldn't say it's normal to have to use the choke every time you start her up

I would say that it's running way to rich then.
With proper mixture you should require choke to start when cold.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 18 Old 10-26-2012, 4:19 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberdcbr900 View Post
Let me clarify also...if it has been sitting for over a week, it take a while to even get it started then i have to choke it for a minute or two. If it has been sitting for a day or two it starts ok but i still need to choke it for a minute or two. Runs great after all that. I have had other carbed bikes that start easily most of the time and only when cold require a little choke.

Why do you think the bike has a choke if you believe it doesn't need it?
A properly jetted engine should require choke to start when cold.

post #10 of 18 Old 10-26-2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Why do you think the bike has a choke if you believe it doesn't need it?
A properly jetted engine should require choke to start when cold.
I am not saying that a choke is not needed, i am saying that if you shouldnt have to constantly use the choke.

Granted I pull the choke for a minute or two some mornings but i dont think that it is needed every time to start her up. If she starts on the button and warms up for 5mins prior to pull-away then in my opinion there are no issues?!

post #11 of 18 Old 10-26-2012, 4:29 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surteez View Post
I am not saying that a choke is not needed, i am saying that if you shouldnt have to constantly use the choke.

Granted I pull the choke for a minute or two some mornings but i dont think that it is needed every time to start her up. If she starts on the button and warms up for 5mins prior to pull-away then in my opinion there are no issues?!

You don't have to constantly use the choke.
The choke is required because the aluminium cools very quickly and cold aluminium disrupts the ability of the fuel to vapourise in the air flow - and unvapourised fuel will not ignite.
I would have to look it up but from memory it's about 35-40C engine temperature before a good normal mixture begins to work without requiring choke. Below that temperature, you should always require choke to start.

post #12 of 18 Old 10-26-2012, 4:35 AM

Quote:
The choke is required because the aluminium cools very quickly and cold aluminium disrupts the ability of the fuel to vapourise in the air flow - and unvapourised fuel will not ignite.
I would have to look it up but from memory it's about 35-40C engine temperature before a good normal mixture begins to work without requiring choke. Below that temperature, you should always require choke to start.

With auto-chokes, im sure they kick in up to 40C so you're right there.

post #13 of 18 Old 10-26-2012, 5:25 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
+1 more

I have a 98. I opened the carbs to see if it's jetted for the filter and slip on (it isn't) and they're really clean.

The bike wants choke every time to start, I let it warm through then put it in and set of when the temp gauge starts reading which is minimum 35c. Where I live it is very seldom colder than 20c. Even so I think it's normal and fine to use a bit of choke.

My old cb-1 would sometimes start without choke, maybe it's less of a problem for smaller engines?!
post #14 of 18 Old 10-26-2012, 9:56 AM

Reputation Power: 25

This sounds like it's going to be a fine tuning thing. If my bike was doing this, I wouldn't think anything of it unless it really affected startup or running performance.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Maybe i put too much emphasis on the choke.i guess the bigger issue is if it sits for more than a week it gives me a really hard time starting. When i get it started i use the choke but iean there have been times that i drained the battery before i finally got it started toeven put the choke on lol. Issue is hard starting if the bike has been sitting a week or more. Regardless of choke. Thanks for all the comments guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page