1000rr wheels on a 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-25-2012, 8:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1000rr wheels on a 929

I have searched and am aware this has been addressed, but I am still a little confused. I want to buy a new set of Marchesinis for my 929, but the only ones still available are for the 04-07 1000rr. I confirmed with the Marchesini distributor that the front wheel is identical between the two models. The rear has a different part number though. Maybe the part # is different only because the 1000rr wheel is wider?

The microfiche shows the 929 and 1000rr using the same spacers on the front. However, the part numbers for the rear wheel spacers are completely different. So, exactly what am I gonna need to make a 1000rr rear wheel fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 5:43 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 1000rr wheels on a 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8 View Post
I have searched and am aware this has been addressed, but I am still a little confused. I want to buy a new set of Marchesinis for my 929, but the only ones still available are for the 04-07 1000rr. I confirmed with the Marchesini distributor that the front wheel is identical between the two models. The rear has a different part number though. Maybe the part # is different only because the 1000rr wheel is wider?

The microfiche shows the 929 and 1000rr using the same spacers on the front. However, the part numbers for the rear wheel spacers are completely different. So, exactly what am I gonna need to make a 1000rr rear wheel fit?

If the wheel fits a 1000RR then it will fit straight into a 929 or 954.
929, 954 and 1000RR wheels are all the same width.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 6:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks blade racer. I know that you have personally used this setup on a 929....I was just looking at the oem microfiche and saw that so many parts appeared to be different between the two rear wheels (internal and external spacers being one of them), so that was just making me wonder.

So the only thing I will use from my original setup are my two original spacers and brake rotor, or do I need to order 1000rr spacers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 6:17 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks blade racer. I know that you have personally used this setup on a 929....I was just looking at the oem microfiche and saw that so many parts appeared to be different between the two rear wheels (internal and external spacers being one of them), so that was just making me wonder.

So the only thing I will use from my original setup are my two original spacers and brake rotor, or do I need to order 1000rr spacers?

The 1000RR has a different sprocket carrier design is all. A complete wheel with sprocket carrier is interchangeable with the 929/954 wheel. I would expect an aftermarket wheel to have its own carrier rather than use the OEM one.
Rear disc, sprocket and axle are exactly the same parts on the 929 through to the '07 1000RR. From memory the axle spacers are the same as well. I think it's only the sprocket carrier and the carrier bearing spacer that are different.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 6:21 AM
Global Moderator

It's probably worth mentioning that it's not particularly difficult to make any wheel fit the bike regardless of what it came off. I've had my Marchesini Ducati wheel on my 929 and my '90 GSXR750.

post #6 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 9:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again bladeracer. I'm now convinced they will fit, so I'm probably gonna go ahead and order the Marchesini set for the 1000rr. However, I REALLY would like to know where the differences lie in these two rear wheels. Carrozzeria's website lists two different part numbers for the 929 and 1000rr wheelsets. Carrozzeria wheels come with their own sprocket carriers, so that rules that out. So basically this means there is a difference somewhere in there significant enough to warrant two different part numbers, right? (sorry, I'm a worrywart, and little stuff like this bothers the hell out of me till I get it figured out)
post #7 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 9:57 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks again bladeracer. I'm now convinced they will fit, so I'm probably gonna go ahead and order the Marchesini set for the 1000rr. However, I REALLY would like to know where the differences lie in these two rear wheels. Carrozzeria's website lists two different part numbers for the 929 and 1000rr wheelsets. Carrozzeria wheels come with their own sprocket carriers, so that rules that out. So basically this means there is a difference somewhere in there significant enough to warrant two different part numbers, right? (sorry, I'm a worrywart, and little stuff like this bothers the hell out of me till I get it figured out)

Are the Caro's the same spoke pattern for both models?
Does the Marchesini you're looking at not have its own carrier?
If it requires the OEM carrier then I think you would need to buy a 1000RR carrier and spacer to fit the wheel as the 929/954 carrier doesn't fit (for reasons that I can't recall).
My Marchesini is a race wheel with titanium disc and very lightweight sprocket carrier.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Are the Caro's the same spoke pattern for both models?
Does the Marchesini you're looking at not have its own carrier?
If it requires the OEM carrier then I think you would need to buy a 1000RR carrier and spacer to fit the wheel as the 929/954 carrier doesn't fit (for reasons that I can't recall).
My Marchesini is a race wheel with titanium disc and very lightweight sprocket carrier.
Hi. The Marchesini has its own carrier as well, so I figured that should rule out the carrier differences between the two models. Both Marchesini and Carozzerria list two different part numbers for the rears. Maybe there is a small offset difference between the two that is almost unnoticeable unless you take the measurements?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-26-2012, 9:23 PM Thread Starter

I had previously emailed the tech dept of Carrozzeria inquiring about the part number differences. Today I received their reply, stating that the wheels are "very similar" and that "the front is the same but the rear will require a different wheel spacer on the brake side.".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page