Dumped Her - Forks/Steering? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 1:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Dumped Her - Forks/Steering?

Just looking to get some opinions. Dumped the bike taking a left turn out of my development. Sounds crazy, but someone decided to leave about 12-15 AA batteries in the middle of the intersection, and I think the mix of a cold road/cold tire and going over the batteries caused the misfortune of my bike coming out from under me at appx. 10-15mph. Been riding for 10yrs and this is my first dump.

Luckily, I didn't get hurt bad, just banged up my knee. The bike fell on the right side and broke the brake lever, broke right mirror, bent the screw/bar end and scraped up my plastics decently. Bike didn't hit anything other than the pavement.

The bike was still running when I picked it up and I drove the the 1/4 mile back to my house. Everything seems ok, but my paranoia was telling me the steering may have felt a tiny bit off. What are the chances there might be a tweak in the forks / triple clamp / steering column?

I called my shop, they don't have the actual tool for testing that stuff, but said they can use a "jig" and test to see if the tires are straight and all that. Would it be worth finding a different shop that has the actual tools for testing this? Any idea what they might charge me for this? Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 1:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: Dumped Her - Forks/Steering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyhardryan16 View Post
Just looking to get some opinions. Dumped the bike taking a left turn out of my development. Sounds crazy, but someone decided to leave about 12-15 AA batteries in the middle of the intersection, and I think the mix of a cold road/cold tire and going over the batteries caused the misfortune of my bike coming out from under me at appx. 10-15mph. Been riding for 10yrs and this is my first dump.

Luckily, I didn't get hurt bad, just banged up my knee. The bike fell on the right side and broke the brake lever, broke right mirror, bent the screw/bar end and scraped up my plastics decently. Bike didn't hit anything other than the pavement.

The bike was still running when I picked it up and I drove the the 1/4 mile back to my house. Everything seems ok, but my paranoia was telling me the steering may have felt a tiny bit off. What are the chances there might be a tweak in the forks / triple clamp / steering column?

I called my shop, they don't have the actual tool for testing that stuff, but said they can use a "jig" and test to see if the tires are straight and all that. Would it be worth finding a different shop that has the actual tools for testing this? Any idea what they might charge me for this? Any input is appreciated!
I had an off recently, I pulled my fork legs off, and my brake rotors, and took them to a Frame Shop. They have all kinds of straightening equipment, true-blocks and such to make sure your stuff is within the service limits.
At least loosen the pinch bolts and re-tighten them to torque.

Where abouts are you located.
If you're interested, Pat at The Frame Man is a great guy. Might be worth a call to him. He's in Sacramento 916/920-1010
post #3 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 1:52 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Suspension guru Dave Moss just did a series of videos talking about what to do after a spill like this. Let me find the link to them and I'll post it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 1:57 PM

Here's a link to his FB page where he posts all of his videos and links to his website,
http://www.facebook.com/#!/davemosstuning

Let me know if that works

Heres the video I referenced
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT1HO...ature=youtu.be

Theres a 2 parts
post #5 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 2:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BLouder, very helpful.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyhardryan16 View Post
Thanks BLouder, very helpful.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 2:28 PM

Reputation Power: 34

More likely a slightly bent clip-on. Since it's the RHS one you'll find it easily - is the gas grip tighter, and not snapping back?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-07-2012, 4:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
More likely a slightly bent clip-on. Since it's the RHS one you'll find it easily - is the gas grip tighter, and not snapping back?
The bar end was bent or maybe just the screw was bent, but I ordered new ones. With the bent one on, the throttle was not functioning properly, but with the bar end off or with the left bar end on the throttle side (I changed to check functionality) the throttle worked just fine.

I am going to put the bike on the stands tonight and see if anything looks bent or out of place.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 8:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

I had a little bit of an off recently and now the top yolk looks twisted to me I'm going to check my wheel alignment but I suspect the top fairing brace is bent too giving me a false impression that the top yolk is out of line mind you it seems to pull a little tithe left when you let go of the bars I was doing about 10 mph when I went down

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page