carburetor leaking from fuel joint o-rings - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 6:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

carburetor leaking from fuel joint o-rings

I have been doing some work rebuilding my 96 900rr after somebody backed into her After pulling the gas tank and re-installing it, I have a fuel leak that looks like it is coming from the fuel joint o-rings between carb 1&2 and between 3&4. So my question is can the o-rings be replaced with out rebuilding the carbs? I have not had time to pull the carbs off the bike yet, but have spent a lot of time reading the service manual and reading posts on this and other forums on how to take care of this issue, sill coming up empty handed Bike runs really well, but leaks. I replaced the jets about 2 years ago with no issues, I have a small understanding of motorcycle carbs and would like to take care of this issue without having to take it to the honda dealership and need advice. What parts do i need besides the o-rings??
According to the parts list on this page

BEAVERTON MOTORCYCLES

I need to get the gaskets at #7 or get the joint and gaskets #4.

Any advice would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 9:23 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: carburetor leaking from fuel joint o-rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by slims900rr View Post
I have been doing some work rebuilding my 96 900rr after somebody backed into her After pulling the gas tank and re-installing it, I have a fuel leak that looks like it is coming from the fuel joint o-rings between carb 1&2 and between 3&4. So my question is can the o-rings be replaced with out rebuilding the carbs? I have not had time to pull the carbs off the bike yet, but have spent a lot of time reading the service manual and reading posts on this and other forums on how to take care of this issue, sill coming up empty handed Bike runs really well, but leaks. I replaced the jets about 2 years ago with no issues, I have a small understanding of motorcycle carbs and would like to take care of this issue without having to take it to the honda dealership and need advice. What parts do i need besides the o-rings??
According to the parts list on this page

BEAVERTON MOTORCYCLES

I need to get the gaskets at #7 or get the joint and gaskets #4.

Any advice would be helpful.

You need to seperate the carbs to do them but it's not particularly difficult. Grease the o-rings during assembly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

I had to take the carbs apart in order to replace the o-rings. Now i do believe i need to get the carbs synced. The headers are getting very hot (glowing hot) on cylinders 2, 3 & 4 but 1 was still cold. Is this usual for non synced carbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I had to take the carbs apart in order to replace the o-rings. Now i do believe i need to get the carbs synced. The headers are getting very hot (glowing hot) on cylinders 2, 3 & 4 but 1 was still cold. Is this usual for non synced carbs?

If you didn't mess with the synch screws they should be pretty close.
But synching is never a bad thing.
If the header is cold then clearly it is not firing.
Check the plug is clean and has spark.
Is there any vacuum feed to that cylinder?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

The sync screws had to be removed to replace the o-rings. I will have to pull the plugs tomorrow to see if it is fouled or smells like fuel. I do not know where i would find the vacuum to that cylinder.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The sync screws had to be removed to replace the o-rings. I will have to pull the plugs tomorrow to see if it is fouled or smells like fuel. I do not know where i would find the vacuum to that cylinder.

Okay, often you can simply seperate the carbs without touching the synch screws. You can do a rough synch using a small drill bit as a feeler gauge under the throttle plates.
Follow the vacuum lines from the vacuum chamber part#34 on the fiche you posted earlier.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 1:30 AM Thread Starter

thank you bladeracer i'll be digging into it on sunday, fingers crossed its not something major.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

All cylinders are firing, syncing the carbs was the biggest problem I was having. The number 1 cylinder was not cold, just not red hot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page