Help a noobie - Just checked out a 2001 CBR900 RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 7:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Help a noobie - Just checked out a 2001 CBR900 RR

Hey all, First time poster here and wondering if I could get some advice on a 2001 CBR900RR i just checked out tonight.

It looks all stock (except some after market mirrors) and it has done approx 24,xxx km's.

We started it up from a cold start, it started straight away but the idle seemed a little erratic. As it warmed up to temp, it lowered down but the needle did move up and down a little. Not sure if its just ment to be purring along constantly at the same rpm, or if its normal for this bike to jump up and down approx 100/200rpm?

Another thing i noticed is the oil, When i took the oil filler cap off and had a look, there was a whiteish residue on the cap. Upon further inspection of the oil viewer/inspection glass, the oil looked kind of yellowish. I would like to think with all the previous cars/bikes i have owned, old oil should be black. And black only. Unless obviously it is clean oil, but i was a little skeptical. The owner has only had the bike for 7-8 month's and has not serviced it in this time frame, but has put on less then 1000 km's since ownership.

The owner had said while riding the bike had coolant pissing out everywhere from the overflow (sounds like it had over heated?), later to realise the dealer he bought it off filled the radiator with just water, not coolant. Not sure if this means the motor has been over heated or not as i am unfamiliar with these bikes.

When it was running, i noticed some water/vapor/condensation spitting out of a join of the pipe, looked like there were some holes in the exhaust. Not sure if this is normal for a stock pipe? The swing arm started to get spitted on with ugly looking water.

All in all, cosmetic wise it looked fine, nothing too much to worry about, slight crack which looked like a fairing had been over tightened.

If somebody could clarify if I should take a punt at this bike given the description of the oil, would be much appreciated.

I am mechanically minded, and willing to give anything a go in terms of rebuilding, I just have to take any additional parts required into account.

Hopefully someone can help me out and maybe i can own one of these amazing machines

Sorry for the long post!

Last edited by Booki; 11-14-2012 at 4:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:00 AM

Reputation Power: 28

Re: Help a noobie - Just checked out a 2001 CBR900 RR

The white residue in the oil is not good. Indicating water/coolant in the oil by the sounds of it. Leaky head gasket???

Did you try and play with the idle yourself to obtain a constant idle speed?

There shouldnt be any holes in a Stock exhaust.

How much is this bike up for?

Before purchase I would ask for a compression test, coolant system pressure test and also check head gasket and pump seals

Anyone can drive a fast bike, few can drive a bike fast!
post #3 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:02 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i thought as much in terms of water/oil mixing.
Didn't try to play with the idle (first time ive ever seen a 929), it seemed to calm down a little once it had got to temp, but are they ment to fluctuate while cold?

His asking about $4,000 AUD.

Not sure if parts are cheap or not for these bikes. Not sure where to get them as well, i know for my dirt bikes i order everything from the states!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:07 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Does the temperature stay above freezing, or does it go below where you are? If it drops below zero, having pure water in the system is a BAD thing. It can crack the block, leading to water getting lots of places it should (ie outside of the cooling system). Could explain the water in the oil too.

I wouldn't worry about the rpm going up and down 1-200 rpm. If it was really hunting up and down, it'd be worth looking into, but not that amount.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #5 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:09 AM Thread Starter

temps rarely would get below freezing down in Aus. We have had some cold day's but never in the negatives.

We are almost in summer here now.

The oil and the fact that the radiator started "pissing" out the water/steam are the things holding me back from purchasing.
post #6 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:10 AM

Parts are still fairly easy to find thru ebay for 929's (and 954's)

Is this from a dealership/store or private seller?

If it comes with a full service (plugs/filters/oil) then i would probably go for it if you want it enough.

A service would probably get rid of these issues.

As for the idle - starting from cold it will always fluctuate a small amount until warm but you shouldnt see the needle move up and down too much, just a little flicker isnt anything to worry about.

post #7 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:13 AM Thread Starter

Private seller, I am just thinking worst case scenario.

I mean i am thinking i am crazy to even be contemplating buying a bike with funky lookin oil :\ Was just wondering if it was normal. And how costly it would be to fix.

Good thing to know about the idle. It was moving, and a flicker would best describe the kind of moving it did once up to temp.

The leaking exhaust, is not a huge deal. Slip ons are not too expensive, I would want one road legal just to keep the boys in blue away.

Forgot to mention, i was trying to get a good look at the engine and it looked like there was a bit of gasket goo used, is it common practice to use gasket maker instead of gaskets? Looked like around the stator and clutch covers.
post #8 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:16 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Just remember it's always better to walk away when you're unsure, than to buy into a money pit. There's plenty of other bikes around. Just listen to your instinct.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #9 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:19 AM

As Sky says, there are plenty other bikes available so if you have any doubts I would look elsewhere, especially as it is from a private seller (no warrantee)

post #10 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booki View Post
Hey all, First time poster here and wondering if I could get some advice on a 2001 CBR900RR i just checked out tonight.

It looks all stock (except some after market mirrors) and it has done approx 24,xxx km's.

We started it up from a cold start, it started straight away but the idle seemed a little erratic. As it warmed up to temp, it lowered down but the needle did move up and down a little. Not sure if its just ment to be purring along constantly at the same rpm, or if its normal for this bike to jump up and down approx 100/200rpm?

Another thing i noticed is the oil, When i took the oil filler cap off and had a look, there was a whiteish residue on the cap. Upon further inspection of the oil viewer/inspection glass, the oil looked kind of yellowish. I would like to think with all the previous cars/bikes i have owned, old oil should be black. And black only. Unless obviously it is clean oil, but i was a little skeptical. The owner has only had the bike for 7-8 month's and has not serviced it in this time frame, but has put on less then 1000 km's since ownership.

The owner had said while riding the bike had coolant pissing out everywhere (sounds like it had over heated), later to realise the dealer he bought it off filled the radiator with just water, not coolant. Not sure if this means the motor has been over heated or not as i am unfamiliar with these bikes.

When it was running, i noticed some water/vapor/condensation spitting out of a join of the pipe, looked like there were some holes in the exhaust. Not sure if this is normal for a stock pipe? The swing arm started to get spitted on with ugly looking water.

All in all, cosmetic wise it looked fine, nothing too much to worry about, slight crack which looked like a fairing had been over tightened.

If somebody could clarify if I should take a punt at this bike given the description of the oil, would be much appreciated.

I am mechanically minded, and willing to give anything a go in terms of rebuilding, I just have to take any additional parts required into account.

Hopefully someone can help me out and maybe i can own one of these amazing machines

Sorry for the long post!
The idle is probably fine but could possibly use a throttle body synch if it bothers you. If you hold the rpm a little above idle, say 1500rpm, is it smooth then?
Oil is a honey colour, not black - black is very old oil.
Is the oil frothy or just yellow? If he's doing the right thing and changing the oil before it loses it's honey colour then it's a good thing.
What exactly does pissing out "everywhere" mean and what was done to fix it?
If you're concerned that it has coolant in the oil try measuring the header temperatures, they should all be within a few degrees of each other - if one is way too low then there may be a problem.
Water is fine except it causes corrosion in the fine (compared to car radiators) galleries. Water won't cause overheating on its own.
Condensation in the exhaust system is a normal effect of burning petrol and there is probably a drain hole at the bottom of the exhaust system to drain it.

Common problems are the fuel pressure regulator, charging system, servo motor, cracks in the engine around the stator cover, and missing mounting bayonets on the headlight and instrument cluster.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #11 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 8:46 AM Thread Starter

It did look honey colour. But it looked kind of frothy through the hour glass. It was getting dark so it was a little hard to tell. A quick search on the forum, and it seems like head gaskets are really not a common thing to go on these bikes.

And by pissing out everywhere, means from what i saw. There was a small hole/gap where the slipon meets, I took some pics and have circled the area where it looked like it was coming out from. But i saw some type of black sealent/putty (very small ammount, size of a small 5cent coin) towards the end of the pipe, which looked like it was there to try and seal it.

Crappy pics, but you can kind of see the oil checker.

post #12 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 4:45 PM Thread Starter

Tempted to ask the seller if we can drain the oil on the bike, I think that would put my suspicions to rest, if oil looks clean then its all good. If its bad, no sale. Do you think that would be a reasonable request?

Any other thoughts on the situation?
post #13 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 5:07 PM

Reputation Power: 14

It appears to have a blown head gasket at best, maybe cracked head or block. The fact that water has been mixed with the oil means there is a strong chance that it will have excessive bearing wear also. Water ruins the lubricating properties of oil. So figure whatever the oil was protecting has the potential to have excessive wear. I would RUN from that bike unless you are an experienced MC mechanic, (which I'm guessing you're not or you wouldn't be posting this) This is somebodys headache that is about to get pawned off on you. Find another Blade.
post #14 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 5:08 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I don't think it an odd request, but it really depends on how badly the seller wants to sell the bike.

if the oil looks milky or creamy i'd worry about water in the system.

my 929 aways releases some condensation when i start it up. usually last for the duration of the warm up and then it's fine. did you happen to notice at what temp the bike was at, or did the seller allow the bike to fully warm up? one other thing is did the radiator fan kick on?
post #15 of 44 Old 11-13-2012, 7:02 PM Thread Starter

The seller didn't appear to hide anything, but really had no interest in the bike. Pretty much a what you say what you get sale (as with all private sales).

I remember seeing it get to around 80ish degree's, thermo's didn't kick in.

Its hard to make a decision on whether or not to follow it up, mostly because it is almost half the price of what all other 929's are going for in my state.

Then again, i don't want somebody elses problems. I'd rather do damage to a motor myself so i know exactly what has been done and what needs to be fixed, here as buying somebody elses mess. Whether or not they are aware of it and if they disclose the issues is risky

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page