03' 954 with no combustion - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 3:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

03' 954 with no combustion

I need some help please. Here is the story

2003 954RR was running like a champ
One afternoon I pulled out of my driveway and pop, #1spark plug comes out. I had just shifted into 2nd gear and was NOT dogging the bike at the time. Immediately turned bike off.
Threads are completely stripped on the #1 plug port

I remove the airbox, radiator and headers to save money at the shop so they just have to drop the engine, remove the head and install a helicoil

Shop ends up installing helicoils on all 4 plug ports

Shop also does an adjustment where they put in new shims for the baskets, Iím not sure exactly what you would call this. It seemed pretty straight forward when he explained what they were doing. They measured the space between this basket and the cam shaft and then adjusted the shim so the space would be within factory specs. They did this for free.

I get the bike back, install the airbox, headers and radiator.

Upon first starting the bike it back fires and sounds like crap. I turn it on and off a couple more times and it still back fires on startup and sounds like ****. Motorcycle now runs like a complete piece of crap. I take it back to shop and at this time they donít know what the ultimate problem is.

What they do know is that the #1 and #2 cylinders are not getting combustion.
They know this because they can hold the headers on #1 and #2 and they never get hot.

Spark plugs, coil packs are working fine and producing spark.
He determined this by switching out the positions of the plugs and coil packs and always the #1 and #2 would NOT work.

The shop has not been able to check compression because he cannot get his tool into the port due to the bar that braces the frame being in the way.

So that is pretty much it, what the hell could be wrong here?!?!?!

Thank you for any insight you all can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 5:45 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: 03' 954 with no combustion

You can probably put your finger over the spark plug hole to see if you have any compression at all.
Next thought would be is it getting fuel on the first 2 cylinders? All just a guess.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle.tim View Post
I need some help please. Here is the story

2003 954RR was running like a champ
One afternoon I pulled out of my driveway and pop, #1spark plug comes out. I had just shifted into 2nd gear and was NOT dogging the bike at the time. Immediately turned bike off.
Threads are completely stripped on the #1 plug port

I remove the airbox, radiator and headers to save money at the shop so they just have to drop the engine, remove the head and install a helicoil

Shop ends up installing helicoils on all 4 plug ports

Shop also does an adjustment where they put in new shims for the baskets, Iím not sure exactly what you would call this. It seemed pretty straight forward when he explained what they were doing. They measured the space between this basket and the cam shaft and then adjusted the shim so the space would be within factory specs. They did this for free.

I get the bike back, install the airbox, headers and radiator.

Upon first starting the bike it back fires and sounds like crap. I turn it on and off a couple more times and it still back fires on startup and sounds like ****. Motorcycle now runs like a complete piece of crap. I take it back to shop and at this time they donít know what the ultimate problem is.

What they do know is that the #1 and #2 cylinders are not getting combustion.
They know this because they can hold the headers on #1 and #2 and they never get hot.

Spark plugs, coil packs are working fine and producing spark.
He determined this by switching out the positions of the plugs and coil packs and always the #1 and #2 would NOT work.

The shop has not been able to check compression because he cannot get his tool into the port due to the bar that braces the frame being in the way.

So that is pretty much it, what the hell could be wrong here?!?!?!

Thank you for any insight you all can give.

If a shop doesn't even have a compression gauge that will fit then I'd be wondering how capable they are at doing shims also.
Ask to see their shim calculations, if they made any large changes it could indicate the problem.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I'm really questioning the ability to have done the valve adjustment correctly. The owner who is the seasoned tech is NOT the one that worked on my ride. His helper and still learning technician did it. I'm worried that he jacked it up and bent a valve. I'm in a bind though because I'm afraid at some point they are just going to say "not our problem" and tell me that they can be responsible for how my bike is running because they don't know if it had the problem prior or not. I know my bike ran like a champ before the plug blew out. If they fixed the plug and put **** back correctly then the bike should run like a champ again.

I just want my motorcycle back and running. I am going to ask them to blow air into the port and feel if it comes out the exhaust. A friend of mine said if it does...then they screwed up on the adjustment and bent my valves.

thanks again for the advice.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 8:01 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle.tim View Post
Thank you for the replies. I'm really questioning the ability to have done the valve adjustment correctly. The owner who is the seasoned tech is NOT the one that worked on my ride. His helper and still learning technician did it. I'm worried that he jacked it up and bent a valve. I'm in a bind though because I'm afraid at some point they are just going to say "not our problem" and tell me that they can be responsible for how my bike is running because they don't know if it had the problem prior or not. I know my bike ran like a champ before the plug blew out. If they fixed the plug and put **** back correctly then the bike should run like a champ again.

I just want my motorcycle back and running. I am going to ask them to blow air into the port and feel if it comes out the exhaust. A friend of mine said if it does...then they screwed up on the adjustment and bent my valves.

thanks again for the advice.
It's possible the valves aren't bent, just staying open.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 9:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, here is the latest update. After the shop has had the bike for the past almost 3 weeks they were able to get cylinder #2 firing. He said something about having some wires flip flopped. I was on a cell phone and didn't quite get what he was saying. Honestly I was just happy to hear he had another cylinder firing. Now he just needs to get #1 going and I should be on the road. Supposedly, they are removing the heads and checking to make sure they did the valve adjustments correctly. Was supposed to hear from them today but that didn't happen. Won't know what is going on till maybe Tuesday.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 8:04 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Don't take it back there once they get it running. If they can't call you and update their progress, then you need to find somene else to work on your bike.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page