Charging '04 CBR 1000 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 8:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Charging '04 CBR 1000

Hi all... I'm sure it was already discussed a long time ago, but I'll ask anyway. I've got a 2004 CBR 1000RR, and I'm having problem with charging the battery. I've replaced the battery, and now the stater/altenator, but I'm still getting problems starting my bike after a day or two. The altenator WAS damaged, and the battery was also not in good shape after more than two years use, so I know that I didn't make any mistakes in replacing them. I'm told now to replace the regulator as well, but when I check the voltage on the bike, I get 13,6V on idle and 14,7V on power.
Is there anything else that could be causing my problems, like a short, fuse, anything??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 8:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Charging '04 CBR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrie View Post
Hi all... I'm sure it was already discussed a long time ago, but I'll ask anyway. I've got a 2004 CBR 1000RR, and I'm having problem with charging the battery. I've replaced the battery, and now the stater/altenator, but I'm still getting problems starting my bike after a day or two. The altenator WAS damaged, and the battery was also not in good shape after more than two years use, so I know that I didn't make any mistakes in replacing them. I'm told now to replace the regulator as well, but when I check the voltage on the bike, I get 13,6V on idle and 14,7V on power.
Is there anything else that could be causing my problems, like a short, fuse, anything??

Do you have an alarm or anything else that might draw power?
Does the battery still go flat if you disconnect the battery terminals for the couple of days it's sitting?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 8:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Do you have an alarm or anything else that might draw power?
Does the battery still go flat if you disconnect the battery terminals for the couple of days it's sitting?

Haven't tested the battery on it's own yet, but the battery is new, and it has got about 12,5V. I'm taking it in to some people to have it tested as well. No alarm on my bike. The only thing I have that could take power is a HID headlight. But I'm not sure if that could cause any problems...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Had the battery tested. Battery is fine, just needs to be charged... I checked, and it also seems that the earth connecters are fine. Got continuity where it needs to be..
post #5 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 3:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Classic regulator/rectifier symptoms. If it starts but doesn't charge and dies after a few days, im about 90% positive its the regulator. There are few situations when it is not as in stator or starter but for some reason these regulators don't have such a long lifespan.

I bought one of those hong kong regulators for my blade for like 26 bucks from ebay and its been on my bike for about 2 and a half years and still going strong. most guys on here will say dont cheap out and buy OEM one thats like $150 but it will honestly have the same life span and for 26 bucks, you can buy like 5 and still wont be the same amount as an OEM one
post #6 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 4:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknick1015 View Post
Classic regulator/rectifier symptoms. If it starts but doesn't charge and dies after a few days, im about 90% positive its the regulator. There are few situations when it is not as in stator or starter but for some reason these regulators don't have such a long lifespan.

I bought one of those hong kong regulators for my blade for like 26 bucks from ebay and its been on my bike for about 2 and a half years and still going strong. most guys on here will say dont cheap out and buy OEM one thats like $150 but it will honestly have the same life span and for 26 bucks, you can buy like 5 and still wont be the same amount as an OEM one

That was what a friend of myne told me as well yesterday. I am just confused because I get the right voltages when I test the bike after the stator/altenator replacement. Is the regulator sending the correct volts, but just not any Amps to charge? I'm just wondering what is happening here, so I can better understand the problem.

Last edited by Gerrie; 11-29-2012 at 8:16 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 5:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Well the regulator job is supposed to be a resistor that only allows a pre-specified amount of voltage to go to the battery. The excess voltage is sent to ground so as not to over-charge the battery.

Think of it like over charging a cellphone and then then battery goes bad over time (over charging) or running a car with out an alternator, your car will still start and run but will drain the battery in no time at all (undercharging/not charging at all)
post #8 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 3:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknick1015 View Post
Well the regulator job is supposed to be a resistor that only allows a pre-specified amount of voltage to go to the battery. The excess voltage is sent to ground so as not to over-charge the battery.

Think of it like over charging a cellphone and then then battery goes bad over time (over charging) or running a car with out an alternator, your car will still start and run but will drain the battery in no time at all (undercharging/not charging at all)
That's the part that confuses me a bit. I'm getting the correct Volts to the battery, but it still isn't charging. 14,7V on power (stable) and 13,6V on idle (also stable). I know I probably sound stupid with all these questions, but I've just got to know what's going on...
post #9 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 6:17 AM

Reputation Power: 18

That's always happened on 04 05 model CBR1000rr, my friend always ride on city area,stop and run all the time, your should buy 06 .07 model CBR1000rr stator flywheel and regulator(charging system), then everything is good...My friend installed on those parts,no problem till now.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-06-2012, 5:28 AM Thread Starter

I have spoken to a Dealer yesterday, and they adviced me to check the fuse box on the bike. Apparently, if the box has any damage on it, it could cause the charge to lose the Amps from the charge due to a 'short'. I have checked, and everything is fine, so I ordered a new Regulator today. Let's just hope that is the last thing to replace. Wil update as to the results...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page