viking mod jets, keihin or dynojet? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-28-2012, 4:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

viking mod jets, keihin or dynojet?

Hi all!

I ride a 97 blade, owened it for 5 years now and love it to bits! Have done several mods to the bike in this time and after reading about the viking mod on this forum it answered a lot of questions I had about the stock air box, the mod makes lot of sense so I did the mod to airbox and fitted 140 jets, messed about with needle positions etc and my question is basically this... what make of jet are people running on this mod?? keihin 140s or dynojet 140s??? or any other jets? I'm running dynojet 140s at min which are basically equivelent to 152 keihins(apparently) which might explain why im finding setup tricky!

Would be massive help if anyone can shed some light on this before I start spending money on the dyno to get the setup perfect.

Many thanks in advance, I'm new to the forum and any input would be greatly recieved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-28-2012, 6:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Re: viking mod jets, keihin or dynojet?

Hi Jacknc, Ive done this mod but I used some 140 jets from a scooter as they were cheap.. As far as im aware 140 is the size of the hole in the jet so cant see how one make of 140 can be different to another.. See what the experts say

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #3 of 13 Old 11-28-2012, 6:58 PM Thread Starter

Nowthen, cheers for reply, great write up on the mod by the way! Agreed a 140s a 140 in my mind, heard of difference between jets from ex racer a few years back, then found conversion chart online for mikuni/keihin/dynojet just to add to the confusion :-s If someone said they were running dynojet 140s and the bike was sweet I'd be happy with that and sort some Dyno time shame I found this mod at the beginning of winter, its gonna kill me for next few months!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-29-2012, 6:32 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknc29 View Post
Hi all!

I ride a 97 blade, owened it for 5 years now and love it to bits! Have done several mods to the bike in this time and after reading about the viking mod on this forum it answered a lot of questions I had about the stock air box, the mod makes lot of sense so I did the mod to airbox and fitted 140 jets, messed about with needle positions etc and my question is basically this... what make of jet are people running on this mod?? keihin 140s or dynojet 140s??? or any other jets? I'm running dynojet 140s at min which are basically equivelent to 152 keihins(apparently) which might explain why im finding setup tricky!

Would be massive help if anyone can shed some light on this before I start spending money on the dyno to get the setup perfect.

Many thanks in advance, I'm new to the forum and any input would be greatly recieved.

Hello jackn29 I to have a 97 cbr if you find the best setting for your bike as far as the
Needle posiition and any other tricks I wiuld love to know. I belive the guy I bought the Bike from said he uesd Kline jets and I have to check back with him but I belive he said 135 main and I don't know about secondarys or if they have? Butt he never said any thibg about the needle pos I would be grate ful if any advice in direction to go. I thought I was done with the carbs but if I have any more performance hiding in my setup I want to find it its the isues I.have lol more power power more fire yayaya
post #5 of 13 Old 11-29-2012, 7:58 PM Thread Starter

Right, think I've got this sorted!

For the facyory pro version of this mod they recommend the 140 jet which is same as a keihin 140, there is no doubt (at least in my mind) a dynojet 140 is too big, the cross reference charts clearly states it's equivelent to 152.5 keihin which explains lots about the problems i'm having, which is plugs indicate rich condition along with top end power issues. Needle position been 3 different settings with improvements the leaner or lower I drop the needle.

We know the mod works with keihin type 140s with stock needle and also dynojet needle, but for smoothness and ease of setup i'd think the dynojet needles would work better with dynojet jets, as stock needles are different - please correct me if im wrong and it makes no difference at all!

Dynojet equivelent to keihin 140 is dj130(ish) it's either that and have matching jets and needles or stick keihins in! Thought about stock needles, rang my local honda dealer for price- something like £130 for 4 needles!!!!

Before this gets any more confusing i'm calling it a day! will post results as and when.

Daredevil, best way to know you are getting the best from your machine is to get it on dyno and take it someone with good knowledge and experience of carbs to set it up! 135 main jet is quite big but prob equivelent to dj122, which is what dynojet recommended to use with my full system and k&n.

Once i get this sorted I'd be happy to share

post #6 of 13 Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Update for anyone interested.

Spoke with dynojet UK about this mod and possible dynojet equivalent for keihin jets, first of all they confirmed the difference in jet size but wouldn't commit to sending any jets out as the only way to tell which jet was needed was to Dyno the bike - which is fair enough.

Finally managed to source some original keihin 140s for respectable price, Honda wanted £8+vat each! No way I was paying £50 for 4 little bits of brass! Ended up paying £26 which still ain't cheap! Another point of interest is I tried keyster keihin copies and even though the threads looked identical (0.8) I couldn't get more than half a turn finger tight before they needed forcing in with a screwdriver, original jets and dj jets screw all the way in to the emulsion tube and then nip tight with screwdriver, no way I was risking tiny burrs of brass in my carbs so they went back to the shop! Bloke that sold me them couldn't understand it either.

Also while adjusting the needles trying to get the dj 140s to work I noticed signs of wear on them, mentioned this to dynojet and they said to send them for inspection- result was brand new needles free of charge! Bonus

So jets sorted, New needles, new plugs, k&n cleaned and oiled, just need to carb sync and this snow to **** off! Will Dyno setup for viking mod and standard air box with dj122s as a comparison and for my curiosity. Noticed with Viking mod the headers on akra full system were cherry red with pilots 3.5 turns out but settled back to normal if left ticking over, could be lack of air flow and super thin stainless or that its always been like it and I only noticed because it was dark in the garage.

Post results as and when, to all those living in warmer climates not buried in snow... Enjoy yourselfs!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-19-2013, 2:09 PM

Interesting stuff, cant wait for dyno results Did you manage to get the jets to fit in the end? I had the same problem but left them tight but not all the way in. Dont think it will make any odds (and doesnt seem too) But if your £26 jets fit where did you buy them as I will get some in mine just to be sure?

My 900RR Winter Project
post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2013, 4:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the original keihins screw in all the way just with your fingers, definitely originals as they have a 4 point star in the shape of a k next to where the jet size is stamped, mystery why the keyster jets wouldn't fit, comparing the thread to a dj jet holding them up to a light it didn't matter how hard you squinted there was no difference, didn't measure with verniers but maybe if you used bit of emery paper round the thread they would fit? Something that crossed my mind after id taken them back. Anyway I got the keihins from a local bike shop but even he had problems finding them. When i rang dynojet for advice for equivalent jets as I'd lost hope they recommended allen's performance online for keihin, a day later the phone rang and mine had arrived at the local shop so I didn't get round to looking at their site.

Revs motorcycles Hull 01482 228772

Hope this helps
post #9 of 13 Old 01-19-2013, 8:04 PM

Thanks very much Jack, will give them a try. My carbs are off the bike at the moment so good time for me to get it sorted really. So the Keihin 140's you got fit perfect correct?

My 900RR Winter Project
post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2013, 6:26 AM Thread Starter

Yep
post #11 of 13 Old 02-26-2013, 7:33 PM Thread Starter

WARNING- if you run this mod and are thinking of fitting a full system the 140 keihin jets may be too lean for your bike, check your plugs for lean condition and the new full system for glowing headers before you end up damaging the engine!
post #12 of 13 Old 02-26-2013, 7:41 PM

Did you have it dynoed Jack? Mine is going to be running a full akro when its back on the road so you have me worried..

My 900RR Winter Project
post #13 of 13 Old 02-26-2013, 8:07 PM Thread Starter

No not yet, kind of glad. Check out hot header thread and you will see the issues I've had, its abit long winded but that's down to me being me. Its not mega lean but definitely something to be aware of. Cooling fan comes on lot earlier than before, bikes not being at the forefront of my mind at min its something I really should have picked up on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page