Wheel cross-fitment - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 7:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Wheel cross-fitment

For those that have read my posts, they probably know I'm not a fan of the three spoke wheels (like the stock ones on the 954, etc.).
I am rather fond of the slight-directional six-spoke wheels like on the '96-'99 CBR600f2/'98-'99 CBR900rr, like this (best pic I could find online):

Does anyone know if those wheels will fit the 954. as a direct replacement?
I would have to get a front one from the 600 (as it has a 17" wheel, whereas the 900 has a 16") and would have to get the back wheel from the 900, as it's wider. At worst, I'd probably have to run a 180 (vs. 190) on the back, but I don't know if that would even be a hindrance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 2:14 PM Thread Starter

Re: Wheel cross-fitment

Really? Thousands of members on here and no one knows?
I did however, find out that the RC-51 wheels will work: back a direct bolt on and the front when you put the 954 front bearings in them.
But that begs another question. I'm seeing listings for RC-51 front and back wheels on eBay and am noticing that the front wheels are listing for almost twice as much as the back wheels. In light of the back wheel by nature containing more material, why would the front wheel be THAT much more expensive?
Old 12-03-2012, 3:05 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Thousands of posts and you can't do a search? The 900rr wheels won't work. Main reason, your bike has very large discs, with different mountings than 900rr wheels.

Supply and demand. Lots of people want RC51 front wheels, fewer want the rear wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 3:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
Thousands of posts and you can't do a search?
I'll be happy to provide you the search topics I used and the URLs to the (many, many fruitless) search results they yielded if you like; both on here and Google/Bing. I found precisely dick for information on the 900/600 wheel fitments.
Sites with specifications don't tend to list wheel spacing/offset, disc bolt patter, weight or axle diameters. I've still yet to find any place that lists the weight of a front and rear 954 wheel and a front and rear RC-51 wheel.

Luckily I did find some info on the RC-51 wheels, but even then, some pictures show them with 5-spoke wheels and some with 6. Which is it???

Quote:
The 900rr wheels won't work. Main reason, your bike has very large discs, with different mountings than 900rr wheels.
Ahhhh...different mountings. The disc size itself shouldn't matter as that would be determined by the caliper mount on the fork, but if the disc bolt patterns don't match up then I'm s.o.l. there.

Quote:
Supply and demand. Lots of people want RC51 front wheels, fewer want the rear wheels.
I understand supply and demand, however that doesn't explain the reason why more people want front wheels. Most people buy both wheels when they buy a wheel set.
-Were there a bunch of accidents with the RC-51 that ruined the front wheel but not the back?
-Did a bunch of people buy an RC-51 with a 954/1000rr 3-spoke front wheel, and what an actual RC-51 wheel?
Old 12-03-2012, 4:03 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Fair play

This came up recently here:
any way to put f2 or f3 wheels on my 954? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

I think front wheels tend to get damaged easier in pothole and small crash type accidents, but also many folk fit 929/954 USD's to their 900RR's and want RC51 hoops to match the multi spoke design. I would guess that's more of the root of your S+D mismatch than accidents.

Similar to S+D mismatch on 17" CBR600 front wheels!

Last edited by amorti; 12-03-2012 at 4:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 5:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Yes they will fit but spacers might be an issue as i am some years has identical size spacers on both sides as and some years have different sizes. (for your first question)

I dont think RC51 wheels will work becuae they have a different axle size for the front wheel compared to all of the other CBR models so i think those wheels are bike specific. The rear axle size is the same as all other cbr models though. Most of the places i read said basically you can use other wheels on a Rc51 (f4i, 929/954rr, 1000rr, etc) by getting the spacer/bearing of the new wheel ID, BUT you cannot use RC 51 wheels on other bikes so becareful befor you buy. If you do then you are going to have to get the forks to match the larger axle. Most people dont do it because its not worth it

Last edited by nyknick1015; 12-03-2012 at 6:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknick1015 View Post
Yes they will fit but spacers might be an issue as i am some years has identical size spacers on both sides as and some years have different sizes. (for your first question)

I dont think RC51 wheels will work becuae they have a different axle size for the front wheel compared to all of the other CBR models so i think those wheels are bike specific. The rear axle size is the same as all other cbr models though. Most of the places i read said basically you can use other wheels on a Rc51 (f4i, 929/954rr, 1000rr, etc) by getting the spacer/bearing of the new wheel ID, BUT you cannot use RC 51 wheels on other bikes so becareful befor you buy. If you do then you are going to have to get the forks to match the larger axle. Most people dont do it because its not worth it
Here's what I've read up on the RC-51 interchange. I've read this on several corroborating sites but it could still be up for debate, but; the back wheel is a direct bolt on. the front wheel has the same offset and disc bolt pattern, but the bearings will have to be pressed out and 954 bearings will have to be pressed in, as the RC-51s front axle is 22mm an the 954's is 25mm. I've also read that you will need the outer bearing seals from a 54 as well.
Actually one of the threads on that is from this very site:
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...able-easy.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9fiftyfour
Here's what you have to do fit an RC51 SP1 or SP2 front wheel on a 954:

You'll need a distance (center) collar from a 954rr or 1000rr and cut it to match the length from the RC51, 109mm. Dremel to 'cut' the raised portion inside the RC wheel so the collar slides in snuggly. Fit 954 front wheel bearings, dust seals, and collars on left and right. You'll then need two 1mm thick spacers fit the 954 axle. These spacers will be installed on both sides of the axle, between the left/right collars and the fork legs. Tighten everything to spec, and you are done.
What is a distance collar? I'm sure I would know what the part is, I'm just not familiar with the nomenclature. Is it just the through-axle?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in