Battery change - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 2:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Battery change

Hi
Just bought a 929 2001 model, the battery was screwed so ive ordered a new one, should be here by wednesday, but in the meantime can I use the battery from the cbr 400 nc23 1989?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 2:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Re: Battery change

The 929 uses a 12 volt 9 amp battery, check the amperage of the 400 one but i doubt it will work.

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"
post #3 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 3:13 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeuvletian View Post
I doubt it will work.
This is because you don't know what you're talking about.

12v is 12v is 12v.

The 400 battery is 8 amp hour, the 929 one will be a bit more. That only refers to how much power the battery can store. The smaller battery may need padding out to stop it rattling around. But it will work as long as the terminals reach. If the smaller battery isn't well charged you may find it doesn't have the power for a cold start, but other than that you'll be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 3:17 PM

Hey i was just trying to help, no need for an arrogant response like yours. I was told that a battery with too little amps will not have enough juice and that one with more than specified for the bike can fry thin wires in the harness. Anyways it will obviously be a cold start since he doesn't have another battery to warm the bike up!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"
post #5 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 3:42 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Fair enough trying to help but presenting uninformed opinion as fact is how the internet doesn't work.

To add to your own knowledge: think of a battery as a bucket and electricity as water. The starter will need a certain amount of electric to get it going, and that must drain from the battery. If the battery is smaller, then it could be there isn't enough water pressure (cold cranking amps) or it could be the water is all gone before the starter did its job.

I know the 400 has an 8Ah battery, I believe the 929 has a 9Ah battery, which is hardly any difference at all. It doesn't take much wear and tear for a 9Ah battery to only hold 8Ah so a strong smaller battery will be fine, I just wanted to point out if the smaller battery is weak it may cause issues. But nothing's gonna melt nor fail in use due to a smaller battery.

Ride with lights off where possible, unplugging one headlight connector will help a lot if you are riding only/mainly in the night.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 3:51 PM

Obviously if i wrote something i thought it was true. FYI my opinion was based on a trial in which i tried running a 12v 7 amp battery and when i cranked my engine it fried the battery because it didn't have enough juice. Based on that mistake i said i doubt it will work, notice i said "I" and "doubt" i didn't say it will not work as a fact.

post #7 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 8:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
This is because you don't know what you're talking about.

12v is 12v is 12v..
Which means nothing in this example. Rdeuvletian is right in thinking that the AH rating will affect whether this works or not (assuming everything is 12V).
If you take an 7Ah battery and put it where a 10AH battery was it could kill it very quickly without hving enough 'bollocks' to do what you're asking of it.
The fact that they are all 12v is irrelavent to this question. try putting 8 1.5v AA batteries together and starting your bike with them , I'm pretty sure you'll find it doesn't work, even though it's 12V.

AH is Amps per Hour. An 12V 8AH battery at 12v will supply 8 Amps for 1 hour. You can change the values acdordingly where more Amps = less time and visa versa. So an 8AH will also do 16Afor 0.5 hours etc or 4A for 2 hours keeping in mind there usually is a max total Amp that you can draw.

Back to the OP question.. if the 929rr has an 8AH battery and the 400 has a 7AH battery you will probably get away with it as they aren't that far apart, but you'll soon know
post #8 of 14 Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollari View Post
Which means nothing in this example. Rdeuvletian is right in thinking that the AH rating will affect whether this works or not (assuming everything is 12V).
If you take an 7Ah battery and put it where a 10AH battery was it could kill it very quickly without hving enough 'bollocks' to do what you're asking of it.
The fact that they are all 12v is irrelavent to this question. try putting 8 1.5v AA batteries together and starting your bike with them , I'm pretty sure you'll find it doesn't work, even though it's 12V.

AH is Amps per Hour. An 12V 8AH battery at 12v will supply 8 Amps for 1 hour. You can change the values acdordingly where more Amps = less time and visa versa. So an 8AH will also do 16Afor 0.5 hours etc or 4A for 2 hours keeping in mind there usually is a max total Amp that you can draw.

Back to the OP question.. if the 929rr has an 8AH battery and the 400 has a 7AH battery you will probably get away with it as they aren't that far apart, but you'll soon know

post #9 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

........hi.....thanks for the responses, didnt mean to start off a heated debate ,anyway 400 battery is 12v 8ah, 929 is 12v 8.6ah, so basically...SHE RIDES, love the bike, so much fun
post #10 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Reputation Power: 113

The fact it's 12 volt is the MOST appropriate rating needed here. The battery will work. It won't power the lights etc with the engine off for as long, but it'll sure as hell start it in the morning which is what you need.

NEXT.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 7:21 PM

Sky, 8x1.5V AA batteries in series give 12V and that won't turn a bike over. Hardly the MOST appropriate rating. Of course it has to be 12V but the AH rating is extremely important.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-06-2012, 5:01 AM

A high capacity won't turn a bike over either if it can't put out enough cold cranking amps ...

post #13 of 14 Old 12-06-2012, 5:32 AM

'true dat' as they down yonder. But lets not confuse the issue any further
post #14 of 14 Old 12-06-2012, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollari View Post
'true dat' as they down yonder. But lets not confuse the issue any further
Internet forum ... must trollololol ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page