How to add spools to your older Blade without welding. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-08-2012, 6:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

How to add spools to your older Blade without welding.

I decided i wanted spools on my 93 blade for safety reasons.

I searched and searched and came across an interesting thread over at the cbrforums about adding them to an F4I without the need of tapping or welding into your swing arm. So i set out today to do just that on my Blade and below is the end result.

Items needed:

7/16 threaded rod - Can be found anywhere(Ace Hardware/Home Depot).
2. 7/16 self locking nuts with washers or nuts with lock washers.
Set of swing arm spools, I prefered to use the larger ones.

Tools needed:
2x16MM socket and rachets
Drill
7/16 drill bit
Dremel with cutting blades or you could use a hacksaw

The Blade has a hollow bolt for the wheel so this is where we will be pushing our rod through.

On my 93 i measured the width of the swing arm and determined i needed to cut the threaded rod to 17".

Upon cutting the rod to 17 i did a test fit. The rod fit 95% of the way through. The right side of the hollowed bolt seem to be smaller in size.

What i did to fix this is the threaded rod seemed to have very sharp threads. So i deburred the threads with alil sandpaper and still testing the nuts to make sure all was well.

The swing arm spools i bought had an aluminum insert inside the spool itself that i could remove. I needed to drill that insert out to 7/16 to fit the rod through the insert.SPEEDMETAL Parts & Accessories - Swingarm Slider Spools - Cycle Gear 10MM ones.

Also the Polycarbonate spool(or whatever its made of) inside diameter was too small for a 16MM socket to fit through so i used a dremel to make the hole bigger on both spools.

This How to can be modified for any bike that has a hollow bolt for the rear tire.

You can either keep them or you can remove them when u need to. Of coarse this is useless if you wanna remove the rear tire. Which is why my stand has pads as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-09-2012, 5:12 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Re: How to add spools to your older Blade without welding.

Or buy an ABBA stand.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 8:08 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac2cul View Post
Of coarse this is useless if you wanna remove the rear tire. Which is why my stand has pads as well.
I was wondering what it is useful for? Chain and wheel cleaning I guess, but those are equally as easy and secure on a cup type stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 16

i liked the idea of having the stand securely on the bike. Personal preference really.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page